Book vs Book

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbody

Reaction score
The Fundamentals Of General Tree Work vs the isa certification guide….. and both compared to the LCQS book?

Which one in your honest opinion has the best information.

They’re both worth owning, and now there’s been a 2nd printing of The Fundamentals, so you can have a hard copy for 35$ I think. The CA study guide is around 100$ I think.

The Fundamentals is good stuff for most tree service workers, climbers, loggers, and folks that usually make their money with a chainsaw. There’s sharpening instructions and tips, learn how to make a chain without a breaker and spinner, and other saw maintenance stuff. Gets much more in depth about different cuts and hinges. Felling, bucking, limbing. The climbing stuff in it is from before single/ stationary rope technique work positioning was a thing, but there’s some single rope access and a good amount of doubled rope/ moving rope work positioning. With how rapidly climbing tools and techniques have evolved over the past 15 or 20 years, the climbing info in The Fundamentals might seem dated, but it’s still worth knowing. Lots of rigging info with pics and clear descriptions.

The ISA CA study guide is a good reference. This book has info about plant health care, diseases, risk assessment, soil and watering, selecting a tree for planting, pruning techniques, I’m sure I’m forgetting a lot. The illustrations from Brian Kotwica are great and there’s lots of them.

I do suggest both books and a few others. If I must pick one, it’d be The Fundamentals. Jerry is a great writer and has a great passion and talent for photography too. A legendary old school tree worker who’s still very open to the new school. If he hadn’t retired, I’d bet he’d be zipping around on a Rope Wrench, Rope-Walker system, and a modern saddle. Kind of a down to earth writing style, humble but very knowledgeable and capable. The photos speak volumes to his skill in working with massive conifers out in the woods. After you finish the book, you’ll almost feel like you know the man.

I do own tree climber companion, and Knots at Work I just purchased the fundamentals along with the groundie book. Which other books do you recommend. I’m not super seasoned or anything have been doing tree work for about 3 years.

I just figured I might as well learn as much as I can cause it’s starting to feel like I’m actually going to be doing this for awhile. I’d rather be the tree nerd of the crew.

I do have a question about rigging is there any other way to practice that without actually taking trees down, I’m assuming there isn’t and I just have to start applying what’s in the books on smaller things. The people I work with don’t zip line but I kind of want to learn it. It looks like it can be useful. I don’t know though.

Thanks

Back