Boss working on spider lift during lightning storm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Possibly safer in the spiderlift. Possibly. Lightning will take the most direct route to ground, witch is the metal machine. If he's lucky, it might bypass him altogether.
No it isn't safe , the metal has to be around you such as a faraday cage, you'd be in the path of the current & instant toast.

Hopefully, you also planted a seed of doubt in the minds of that ground crew. They may look at other safety violations with a more critical eye, and choose to work somewhere with a more safety-conscious mindset.

To be on the safe side you should down tools once a lightning storm comes within 10 or so kilometres, one flash and you're ash, if you're lucky you might get belted a couple of times without being fryed.

When I worked with explosives we had to shutdown operations if lightning was within 5 miles.

That cat had the after burners turned on. My cat ran that fast when the bear left. He hid under the car as the bear walked by.

Me and my youngest son are magnets for lightening. In rain storms when we hear the walls start to cringe we know the strike is next. The cringe is the warning it’s coming soon. We were in the shop working when the cringe hit, the hair stood up on my arms, then the loudest bang I ever heard.

I was out on my street legal husky two stroke bike when a micro burst hit. I was a few blocks from home. I cracked the bike wide open. I just missed leaves and branches falling.

I don’t fear lightening but I respect it. When we fear something we lose focus and control.

Back