Bought a 385xp, pros/cons?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logdog902

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi fellas! Long time and no activity from me!

Picked up a 385xp today for 800cad, came with a 28” .404 bar and 2 .404 chains, as well as a 28” 3/8 bar with 2 brand new 3/8 chains. Full wrap handle and it is in quite good condition. I believe the base gasket has been deleted.

Needed another big saw, as my 066 red light was getting lonely. Anything I should know about the 385?

After testing out the saw, it seemed to run great, but I feel like it lacks the torque that my 066 provides. Any mods I should consider?

Thanks!

Add an outlet on the muffler or gut the one it has would be my first step, porting or getting a 390 top end would be all I could think of beyond that. I picked up a 390 as my practical big saw and with a multi port muffler (p.o. did it, not me) it seems to be pretty decent. To be perfectly honest, the 066 red light I ran has left an indelible impression of awe upon my mind and I sincerely doubt that any non-professionally ported saw will come close to it. Again, my 390 is a very good saw, reliable, nice a/v, plenty of power, etc, but I don't see it ever eclipsing that 066. Also, if it lacks torque check what rim size it has. I noticed my 390 with a 3/8 x 8 setup wasn't really cutting faster than it did with a 3/8 x 7 but it lacked torque. I'd put a 3/8 setup on it for grunt and the .404 for durability or limbing.

Heres my latest.. its a 385 storm port is still live. Its not mine but I appear to ne watching it.

Normaly I plug the upper port. This one will gat a plate in place of spark screen so its kinda tunable.

This thing really woke up with the muffler before my 372 would spank the chain off it now im not completely sure wich runs faster.
372 is a ported xpw that runs damn well.20221021_234831.jpg

Looks like she’ll be getting the muffler modified! Thanks for the insight fellas!

Back