bought a saw last week.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex.machinist

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello. last time Ive been on here was probably a decade ago. well my love for chainsaws never went away. I bought my first real saw when I was 16 a 2007 357xp. I still have it and it gave me problems over the years but figured out most of them by now. Live and learn you know. no need to throw away something thats there for you to learn something new. Id be a fool to expect more from a piece of metal/plastic. Anywai Ive been busy with lots of projects and money always been tight but last week I saw a 372xp for sale online that was just 20km from my place so I had to get it. keep in mind around here 372 are basically extinct by now. I dont think many people bought them to begin with since high cost and weight. The guy asked 500$ cnd for it and when I got there I knew he was asking a bit much for the condition of the saw. I would have prefered to pay 400 or less but I told myself, youre not gonna find another one around here, so just buy it allready haha! So I did. cleaned it all up , modded the exhaust, brake clean the heck out of it. found a few problems while taking it apart. but here she is. I didnt take pictures of it but the muffler was pushed inside and both crankcase halfs are broken at the front. doesnt affect functionality but its hard on the eyes. I think the previous owner was slamming the dawgs into logs with eyes closed or something. I bought my second real saw at 30 years old haha. the saw is a 2003

il post pics of my modded exhaust maybe later tonight or tomorrow

Attachments

• 249859362_859944364888703_2583571999925585658_n.jpg
    249859362_859944364888703_2583571999925585658_n.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 249561595_392753805926554_3597070216092661763_n.jpg
    249561595_392753805926554_3597070216092661763_n.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 54
The 372xp is a great all around saw, one of my main go to saws I use, that and my 385xp come along for firewood.

Hey gord. Thanks for breaking the ice. ive read on here many times that the 372 is a great saw. its a real easy saw to start up. I think with the muffler modd it sounds so sexy. LOVE the sound. being a machinist my next obvious step is to chuck that cylinder and makes chips to raise compression. im heading to the store now to get a bar/chain/sprocket for it. il see what the dealer got in store but il try yto get a 18-20 inch bar. once the compression is upped gonna try to run the 8 pin and see how it goes. trees are small around here since we have probably the worst managed forest of all canada. I think only 5% of the forest has never been cut. thanks to IRVING everything is small or average at the most.

Hello. last time Ive been on here was probably a decade ago. well my love for chainsaws never went away. I bought my first real saw when I was 16 a 2007 357xp. I still have it and it gave me problems over the years but figured out most of them by now. Live and learn you know. no need to throw away something thats there for you to learn something new. Id be a fool to expect more from a piece of metal/plastic. Anywai Ive been busy with lots of projects and money always been tight but last week I saw a 372xp for sale online that was just 20km from my place so I had to get it. keep in mind around here 372 are basically extinct by now. I dont think many people bought them to begin with since high cost and weight. The guy asked 500$ cnd for it and when I got there I knew he was asking a bit much for the condition of the saw. I would have prefered to pay 400 or less but I told myself, youre not gonna find another one around here, so just buy it allready haha! So I did. cleaned it all up , modded the exhaust, brake clean the heck out of it. found a few problems while taking it apart. but here she is. I didnt take pictures of it but the muffler was pushed inside and both crankcase halfs are broken at the front. doesnt affect functionality but its hard on the eyes. I think the previous owner was slamming the dawgs into logs with eyes closed or something. I bought my second real saw at 30 years old haha. the saw is a 2003

il post pics of my modded exhaust maybe later tonight or tomorrow
Great saws I have several
This is my favorite exhaust mod
But no restrictions here no screen needed
1616510470002 (1).png
Personally I'd have it ported
They come alive ported
But to each his own.

Hey gord. Thanks for breaking the ice. ive read on here many times that the 372 is a great saw. its a real easy saw to start up. I think with the muffler modd it sounds so sexy. LOVE the sound. being a machinist my next obvious step is to chuck that cylinder and makes chips to raise compression. im heading to the store now to get a bar/chain/sprocket for it. il see what the dealer got in store but il try yto get a 18-20 inch bar. once the compression is upped gonna try to run the 8 pin and see how it goes. trees are small around here since we have probably the worst managed forest of all canada. I think only 5% of the forest has never been cut. thanks to IRVING everything is small or average at the most.
A NEW PISTON RING will do MORE to raise compression than any other Mods :)

Hey guys totally forgot to take pictures of my muffler mod. Sorry about that, It will have to wait until next weekend. I removed the cylinder off the saw and before that I checked the squish. With the gasket on I found it had about .041 tow at the squish band. il remove .020 from the cylinder base and see how it goes. the old original gasket was about .020. it was tempting to just use sealer but I figured id rather use a gasket. the new piston and ring sounds like a good idea also. maybe I should get one of those flex hone and give the cyl a scrub.

I also ended up getting a 20 inch bar for it and a 7 pin sprocket. installed a carburator kit and spark plug.

Hey guys totally forgot to take pictures of my muffler mod. Sorry about that, It will have to wait until next weekend. I removed the cylinder off the saw and before that I checked the squish. With the gasket on I found it had about .041 tow at the squish band. il remove .020 from the cylinder base and see how it goes. the old original gasket was about .020. it was tempting to just use sealer but I figured id rather use a gasket. the new piston and ring sounds like a good idea also. maybe I should get one of those flex hone and give the cyl a scrub.
Don't hone a chainsaw cylinder.
If it has some aluminum transfer,clean it off with sandpaper or acid your choice.
Polish with scothbrite

If you wanna MOD PC on a (NEW) $900-$1200, ya got more money than ME? LOL BUT a lotta folks do have more than me... :)
Your comment on the rings was a little misleading.
Getting the squish to around 20 thousand will increase your compression. If you have a new saw putting a new ring in will do nothing but decreasing the squish will

Don't hone a chainsaw cylinder.
If it has some aluminum transfer,clean it off with sandpaper or acid your choice.
Polish with scothbrite
You seem to know lots.. educate me on why a used cylinder shouldnt receive a hone before putting in new rings. you lost me

Your comment on the rings was a little misleading.
Getting the squish to around 20 thousand will increase your compression. If you have a new saw putting a new ring in will do nothing but decreasing the squish.

im confused with your ring part. changing rings on new saws wouldn't change squish would it?

we were talking about my used 372xp anywai so no new saw involved in this post. I totally understood what the guy said about increasing compression with a new ring.

The nicasil coating used on modern chainsaw cylinders isn't made to be honed.
The search feature use to yield more results but you can find lots of reading about it on here if you look.
If you have a new saw the only way to increase compression without machining is to reduce the squish if it is over 20 thousands of an inch,some people will go a little tighter to get the max out of the saw.

I have honing stones made for nickasil. Chrome plating I’m not sure I can hone. Tried it once on a italian cajiva dirtbike my stones were squeeling. I bought special stones for nickasil.

I beilieve tinman mentions honing the saw builder.

Back