Brand New husky rancher 450 dying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PCChazter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just recently bought a Husqvarna rancher 450, and started using it about a week ago. It started fine, ran fine, no problems. When I put it down to adjust a tree I turned it off, and when I picked it back up again I started having the problem. It would start fine and run fine after picking it back up, but if I try to put it sideways (bar horizontal) while idling, it dies. If I slowly rotate it while giving it gas, it will bog down a bit, but will recover, and I can rotate freely at idle after that. I took it into where I bought it, but because it was about 30 degrees Celsius (86F) the mechanic said it was vapor lock. So I put it away until a cooler day, but it is doing it again today, and it's around 25C (77F). Still hot, but was hoping it would be better. Am I dealing with vapor lock? Do all chainsaws do this? I thought Husqvarna was a highly regarded brand, why am I dealing with this? If this is vapor lock what is the max temperature I should use it in, or is there a trick to dealing with this issue?

Brand new. They test them at the shop before selling, but I've only got a tank and a half in, and I was only half way through the tank that it came with from the shop when it started doing this.

Brand new. They test them at the shop before selling, but I've only got a tank and a half in, and I was only half way through the tank that it came with from the shop when it started doing this.

Take it back to the shop for a warranty claim then.
Do not accept being fobbed off by some vapour lock story/excuse.
Demand a full repair and copy of the worksheet.
Or throw a tantrum, pick a brand new 450 off the shelf, leave the crook one on the counter and walk out.

Full and half. Haven't tried nearly empty

You have a gas delivery issue. The saw is starved. At 1/2 tank or full tank or both?

Are the conditions the same with a full tank of gas? No? Then try removing the fuel filter (partial tank of gas), but your going to have to find some way to weight the fuel line so it stays submerged in the gas.

if it’s new, it’s probably a poor tune. When you turn it over it could be releasing pooled fuel. Take it back to the shop either way. If it’s new it’s best to let warranty deal with it regardless.

That said, I’d always work on my own equipment now… warranty or not, I’d just ask for the parts and do it myself.

The problem is that this does not happen every time I set it down. I just did a test run to get it to do it. Ran it for about 10 minutes limbing and cutting some fallen trees on my property. I started it up again a couple minutes after setting out down and it was fine. Put it in the shop annoyed that I couldn't get a video of it. However, I was sitting here and figured I may as well try again to see if it was still the same, and it did what I'm having trouble with! Was sitting for about 25 minutes before this. It had a hard time starting and staying running, but once I got it started I couldn't rotate it right away. I managed to record it this time. First video was of me starting it and it dying, second is of it dying, and me getting it to be able to rotate. In the first video it started without choke then died, and needed to choke it after that even though it's still warm, and it took a bit of convincing to keep it running. Second video it dies twice (second time with throttle) then I hold the throttle and slowly rotate it to get it past the issue, then I can rotate it freely.

First Video:

Second Video:

I vote crank seal. I've never had a saw that idled fine and died when flipped in its side that wasn't a seal related issue. Fattening up the saw (which has limit caps on it) most likely won't help much. Former experience with a 435 model would tell me it's time to go back and let the dealer pressure and vac test it at minimum. That 1/4 turn will only mask a leak issue for a little while.

I vote crank seal. I've never had a saw that idled fine and died when flipped in its side that wasn't a seal related issue. Fattening up the saw (which has limit caps on it) most likely won't help much. Former experience with a 435 model would tell me it's time to go back and let the dealer pressure and vac test it at minimum. That 1/4 turn will only mask a leak issue for a little while.
Tis a Husky after all - unreliable things! :drinkingcoffee:
Language warning..

Video courtesy of Shaun D - would make a great Stihl advert.

Latest posts

Back