• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Brand New Stihl MS 462 R CM Full Wrap Handle Chainsaw, 28" Lightweight Bar, 4 Chains

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gearjunkster

Reaction score
Brand new Stihl MS 462 R CM chainsaw with full wrap handle and 28" Rollomatic ES Light Bar, 4 new chains, matching scabbard, scrench tool. 2 Stihl felling dogs (bumper spikes), one of each side of guide bar. This is the lightweight version of Stihl's regular Rollomatic ES guide bar.

Never used, Stihl dealer started once to confirm all is well, then drained.

3/8" pitch, .050" gauge.

72.2cc, 5.9 bhp, 13.9 lbs (powerhead w full wrap handle).

Includes the following 4 brand new Stihl chains in original boxes:
(2) Rapid Super (Full Chisel), Full Skip. Model 33RSF.
(1) Rapid Super (Full Chisel), No Skip (Full Comp). Model 33RS.
(1) Rapid Micro (Semi Chisel), Full Skip. Model 33RMF.

These 3 extra chains alone costed $120 (1 chain was included with the saw).

$1,250 shipped CONUS in 2 boxes: one for the powerhead and another for the bar, scabbard, chains, scrench and manual.

This is of course a favorite of professional loggers and arborists, but I decided to go with a different saw instead.

More detail on Stihl's site: https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/professional-saws/ms462rcm/

Full disclosure: I'm a newbie at all this; I've been lurking here for a few months learning from you all. I set up my gearjunkster account today and this is my first post, so to allay any concerns whether this post is for real, I took pictures with my username gearjunkster in it to confirm it's my saw.
20220106_172405.jpg20220106_172238.jpg20220106_172301.jpg20220106_124802.jpg20220106_124812.jpg20220106_124924.jpg20220106_125051.jpg20220106_125213.jpg20220106_125642.jpg20220106_124933.jpg

Curious what this saw would or would not do for you around here. I bought this exact saw around here two years ago with exactly the same number of and model of chains and bar. What saw are you getting in lieu of the 462?

Curious what this saw would or would not do for you around here. I bought this exact saw around here two years ago with exactly the same number of and model of chains and bar. What saw are you getting in lieu of the 462?
I’m very curious as to what saw the seller bought rather than this one as well?

Inquiring minds want to know 🤔 . Maybe something bigger or smaller a different color? I put an 8 tooth sprocket and a short bar (25) on my tree monkey462 it spins the holy heck out of that 84 dL chain!

Sold. Thanks for the interest everyone. I put myself on the waitlist for a 500i as I don't require a saw immediately. I'll be felling close to a 100 Doug Firs, Cedars and Cottonwoods, mostly around 30" to 40" diameter, and thought it's worth the slight weight penalty over a 462 for a bit more power. I once ran a 462 through some 25" oaks and it bogged when I leaned into it a bit. Will be turning all this into lumber on a Norwood sawmill I'm still assembling.

Any thoughts on power and torque of a 462 vs 500i?

Sold. Thanks for the interest everyone. I put myself on the waitlist for a 500i as I don't require a saw immediately. I'll be felling close to a 100 Doug Firs, Cedars and Cottonwoods, mostly around 30" to 40" diameter, and thought it's worth the slight weight penalty over a 462 for a bit more power. I once ran a 462 through some 25" oaks and it bogged when I leaned into it a bit. Will be turning all this into lumber on a Norwood sawmill I'm still assembling.

Where did you find 25” oaks around here? The big difference is one is fuel injected and one is not. Other differences I do not think are significant.

The oak trees were in Riverside Co in So. California. Never seen oaks in Pierce or King Cos, probably because it's too wet for them to grow here. Guess the 500i is only an incremental improvement over the 462. It's just a $100-ish difference between the two so buy once, cry once I suppose. If the price difference were greater I would have taken pause.

I own both and the 500 handles anything bigger than 20 inch better than a 462. Throw an 8 tooth on the 500 and it runs a 20 better as well. 500 with a muffler mod runs a 28 with authority.

Check out Dyno Joe on YouTube. He just did a comparison of all the saws in that class. He uses a torque dynamometer which, to me, even though I'm no scientist, seems very scientific!

Latest posts

Back