Breathable Forestry Boots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buttermelk

Reaction score
I've been wearing non-insulated Kenetrek Mountain Extremes and love them, but I already know they'll be too hot for me in the summertime. I know they make a non-waterproof desert boot but I'm wondering if anyone has any other recommendations on a highly breathable boot that also has serious durability before I go out and spend another ~$500. I know that breathability/durability is going to be a bit of a trade-off but any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

leather, unlined
If yer worried about water protection keep them oiled/greased Otherwise the waterproofing in "modern" boots works both ways, and the insulation they use to give the illusion of a good fit holds in moisture and heat.
Good well fit or custom leather boots are worth every penny and the months wait to get them.

Make it three for unlined leather boots. Add some good socks and you’ll be very happy.

As far as durability goes, I can’t think of a boot that’s been more durable for me than my Nicks or Frank’s. Sure, they’re pricey, but Kenetrek boots aren’t far off the mark for price, and the construction of any of the “Spokane” boots will allow for a much longer service life with a little bit of care.

If you grease 'um they won't breath.

I’ve never had that problem, nor do I know anybody else. Maybe over use could cause it. I’m not you and can’t lay claim to your experiences, but I strongly disagree in general.

Obenauf’s leather oil does way better than their grease unless you’re where it’s wet anyway.

I didn't say oil, I said grease, but whatever. Anything that keeps water from getting in will also keep perspiration from getting out. Maybe not totally block it but it will slow down it's ability to wick and transfer sweat out.

Water getting in and out is a different beast than allowing air in and out. Again, I used grease for years and didn’t have a perspiration problem with my feet.

Wicking moisture isn’t something that’s going to be done by a boot with no liner. A good merino wool sock will do more for that than anything, including leaving leather untreated. A cotton sock will stay soaked.

I've been wearing non-insulated Kenetrek Mountain Extremes and love them, but I already know they'll be too hot for me in the summertime. I know they make a non-waterproof desert boot but I'm wondering if anyone has any other recommendations on a highly breathable boot that also has serious durability before I go out and spend another ~$500. I know that breathability/durability is going to be a bit of a trade-off but any recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
Lowa Zephyr Hi TF. Awesome boots and about as breathable as a supportive boot can get.

I know there are folks who swear by the unlined leather boots. My experience has made me a bit gun shy with those. Bought a pair from JK Boots in Spokane. Actually went to their store and got fitted for them. After two trips back plus a stretching by another boot repair place, they're still the most expensive and the most uncomfortable boots I've ever owned. I only use them when I'm welding now, since my good boots have nylon parts that'll melt.

Lowa Zephyr Hi TF. Awesome boots and about as breathable as a supportive boot can get.

I know there are folks who swear by the unlined leather boots. My experience has made me a bit gun shy with those. Bought a pair from JK Boots in Spokane. Actually went to their store and got fitted for them. After two trips back plus a stretching by another boot repair place, they're still the most expensive and the most uncomfortable boots I've ever owned. I only use them when I'm welding now, since my good boots have nylon parts that'll melt.
that says more about JK boots then anything... I've worn out Carolina's, Whites, Vibergs, Hoffmans, generic Kmart garbage, and have 2 pairs of Nick's at the moment, The fit was never much of an issue (until I got a custom pair... then the standard fits are so uncomfortable lol) Still have a 8? year old pair of Hoffmans that are in desperate need of a resole... that I still wear when its really hot out, and I don't need caulks.

Could also be down to the laces, if you're using leather laces, don't tie them as tight as you would nylon/fabric laces, as they will not loosen up throughout the day, and really feel like they just get tighter and tighter.

that says more about JK boots then anything... I've worn out Carolina's, Whites, Vibergs, Hoffmans, generic Kmart garbage, and have 2 pairs of Nick's at the moment, The fit was never much of an issue (until I got a custom pair... then the standard fits are so uncomfortable lol) Still have a 8? year old pair of Hoffmans that are in desperate need of a resole... that I still wear when its really hot out, and I don't need caulks.

Could also be down to the laces, if you're using leather laces, don't tie them as tight as you would nylon/fabric laces, as they will not loosen up throughout the day, and really feel like they just get tighter and tighter.
Yeah, I know lots of guys like those style boots. Could be just the shape of my foot. Don't know. Problem is it costs $400+ to try another brand. Lot of $ for a gamble.

Yeah, I know lots of guys like those style boots. Could be just the shape of my foot. Don't know. Problem is it costs $400+ to try another brand. Lot of $ for a gamble.
Nick's, and Whites guarantee the fit, WesCo and VIberg too, Nicks will send a trial pair to see if they are close even.
Yes its a lot of money but if yer anything like me, squished foot that was re-inflated... and didn't really go back to where it belongs... even a correct sizing for each foot makes a world of differance.

Barring all that, off the shelf Carolina's, Danners, WestCo's, Nicks, Vibergs, Hoffman's, are all relatively widely available, and cheaper then a full sizing custom boot, Whites has the Hawthorn, and Hawthorn hi-line, lines... that are affordable even.

Nick's, and Whites guarantee the fit, WesCo and VIberg too, Nicks will send a trial pair to see if they are close even.
Yes its a lot of money but if yer anything like me, squished foot that was re-inflated... and didn't really go back to where it belongs... even a correct sizing for each foot makes a world of differance.

Barring all that, off the shelf Carolina's, Danners, WestCo's, Nicks, Vibergs, Hoffman's, are all relatively widely available, and cheaper then a full sizing custom boot, Whites has the Hawthorn, and Hawthorn hi-line, lines... that are affordable even.
Maybe I'll give one of those a try. Maybe they could rebuild the JK's. I don't have a squished foot, so that's not an issue. The Lowas work great for most of what I do, but I would like to have a pair of all leather boots that actually fits some day.

Maybe I'll give one of those a try. Maybe they could rebuild the JK's. I don't have a squished foot, so that's not an issue. The Lowas work great for most of what I do, but I would like to have a pair of all leather boots that actually fits some day.
eh, maybe, Nicks does rebuilds, and maybe Whites still does, but you would still need to be sized, and the lowers would need to be completely rebuilt which is about as much as a new pair

I would send them to Frank’s with a fit sheet. A rebuild from them is about $275 and you’ll get a full new lower that’s the right size, and they guarantee your fit if you at least send the sheet. As far as I know, White’s & Nicks are only doing rebuilds on their own boots at the moment.

I’ve read more than one instance of JK Boots messing up someone’s boots and giving them an “oopsie, tough luck” response after they do some… Interesting sizing.

I would send them to Frank’s with a fit sheet. A rebuild from them is about $275 and you’ll get a full new lower that’s the right size, and they guarantee your fit if you at least send the sheet. As far as I know, White’s & Nicks are only doing rebuilds on their own boots at the moment.

I’ve read more than one instance of JK Boots messing up someone’s boots and giving them an “oopsie, tough luck” response after they do some… Interesting sizing.
I'll look into it. I'm close enough that I'd just go have them take measurements, rather than doing a fit sheet.

Back