Breathing exhaust when CS milling.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The main cause of this is that most Chainsaw exhaust locations face forward so the exhaust fumes bounce off the side of the log up into the operators face when milling the top half of teh log . I noticed this when using my 076 and then switching to using a small Homelite. In a CSM the 076 has a downward facing exhaust which is better although on hot days it does heat the operators feet -nice on cold days but we have few of those.

When I got my 880 I just some thought into an exhaust mod and came up with this.
allonn.jpg
all2.jpg
The opening between the exhaust and the pipe is also a little larger than stock so it breathes better. The down side is its louder and and also uses more fuel.

The other advantage of this setup is it blows the sawdust squirted off the drive sprocket away from the operators feet so you don end up walking on an ever higher layer of sawdust.

Best of all no headaches from the exhaust fumes.

This mod works really well and I can highly recommend it.

Thanks Leeroy, BobL,
Third day running. Didn’t seem to be an issue the first two. Probably had a breeze. Unfortunately I can’t ge off the ground. Big white pine was looming over my backwoods cabin. Didn’t have the heart to let it rot so I didn’t take it down until I had a mill rig. Hopefully tomorrow the breeze will be back as this is my last chance to finish off the logs this year. I’ll certainly look into fabbing a muffler mod and maybe rig some kind of portable hoist for future logs.

Checked out the link. Lots of great stuff. All in all looks like a winter project for sure. Getting off the ground will be my first project. Just need something strong, portable and adjustable.

Yep - we call them Kangaroo or Hi-lift Jacks here. They are very popular with off roaders.
I bought mine as a used item for $20 and all it needed was to have the springs replaced
Got my highlift 4400 seized but near new. The pins freed right up with cleaning then the cast steel lever broke when it fell over lifting a log on the end. Replaced the lever with a new 1/4" steel machined one. It needs an A-frame to get back after it soon on the big ones. Good deal for fifty bucks around here. Very handy for changing a flat tire on the flatbed trailer.

Think I'm setting up a fan this year for milling.

I feel really claustrophobic wearing any sort of mask and being bearded they dot work all that well on me. I find mask particularly irritating when it gets hot. I do have a full face respirator that I have worn when milling really dry and dusty wood. It doesn't filter out fumes but I don't really have a problem with them anyway.

Tritonmask2.jpg

This respirator has a belt mounted battery powered fan like this that delivers fresh air to the top of the helmet.
Tritonmask2.jpg
However,
- the built in muffs are not very good
- the face shield fogs up in cold weather.
- the fan delivers enough air only for when doing light work, otherwise it does not deliver enough air
- battery pack location is deadly if you fart as this sucks it up and injects the smell direct into the helmet.
I tried increased the speed of the fan by replacing the standard batteries with LiIon batteries but even that does not provide enough air.

It is useful for removing wasps nests from around my shop - but I think I have finally got rid of them all now.

Sure, milling - I need to hold my breath sure yeas..
Most likely I will endure the exhaust carnage... It differs on different saws though - perhaps it has something to do with the exhaust outlet.

Latest posts

Back