Broken leader on Black Locusts “Frisia” during transport! What to do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArchChris

Reaction score
Hi all,
I accidentally snapped of the tip of the currently leader branch on this black locust. It’s a young tree - wondering if I need to do anything to help it or still let it go. The leader is still taller than the other branches. I’ve attached some photos!

Thanks in Advance

Attachments

• 6IlpnAF.jpg
    6IlpnAF.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 0
  • kITv5ef.jpg
    kITv5ef.jpg
    290.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Xlgrfjy.jpg
    Xlgrfjy.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 0
I wouldn't worry about it too much. That's too small a twig to cause significant damage to the structure of your tree.

You might keep an eye on it's growth next year to see which branch takes over a the leader. I suspect it will grow a new shoot off the leader that continues a more vertical growth. Send us some pictures next year with the new growth, and we might have some pruning advice.

Thanks so much for the quick reply! I have been stressing about it - Should I stake the leader to help it grow up straight like im holding it in the picture?

If you find that next year, in about June or July, that you don't have any new leaders started up, you might pick the most apical branch and tie it onto something straight for a year or two. I don't think you need to worry about that, however. You are probably as likely to damage your second leader as you are to end up not having a good one. A few inches of deviation in the trunk of a tree will become insignificant after 20 years of growth. The increase in girth tends to erase those little deviations caused by early growth.

That being said, major structural problems are easiest to fix when they are young and tender.

Back