Broken recoil pulley and potential disaster avoided

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumBurner

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
This was something I had never given much thought...until it happens.

My 562 had been making some rough noises every odd number of pulls when turning over the motor. Metallic ratcheting/clicking noise. It was more of an annoyance than anything for a week or so.

I noticed yesterday I had an outer recoil bolt that had come free. Not great. So this morning I went to investigate. What I found was the two metal pins/posts that are embedded in the plastic pulley had been bending, hence the metallic grinding sound. Plastic had broken away from the pins allowing them to further bend and move. As well, some of the plastic that makes up the wheel was cracking and running.

Thankfully there was no damage done yet to the flywheel or levers.

But that was definitely a ticking time bomb for flywheel damage and possibly seizure if one of the two metal posts came free while in operation.

Now I'm curious as to why this occurred. Maybe the bolt coming loose allowed just enough play in the recoil housing to create unbalanced side to side movement within. Even though the pulley itself is fixed, the whole housing rocking would likely be enough to create this scenario.

Additionally, my vibe mounts are near their end. Couple that with the extra vibration and that situation could've grown worse quickly.

I'll try to get photos up of the pulley in a day or two for clarification.

This was something I had never given much thought...until it happens.

My 562 had been making some rough noises every odd number of pulls when turning over the motor. Metallic ratcheting/clicking noise. It was more of an annoyance than anything for a week or so.

I noticed yesterday I had an outer recoil bolt that had come free. Not great. So this morning I went to investigate. What I found was the two metal pins/posts that are embedded in the plastic pulley had been bending, hence the metallic grinding sound. Plastic had broken away from the pins allowing them to further bend and move. As well, some of the plastic that makes up the wheel was cracking and running.

Thankfully there was no damage done yet to the flywheel or levers.

But that was definitely a ticking time bomb for flywheel damage and possibly seizure if one of the two metal posts came free while in operation.

Now I'm curious as to why this occurred. Maybe the bolt coming loose allowed just enough play in the recoil housing to create unbalanced side to side movement within. Even though the pulley itself is fixed, the whole housing rocking would likely be enough to create this scenario.

Additionally, my vibe mounts are near their end. Couple that with the extra vibration and that situation could've grown worse quickly.

I'll try to get photos up of the pulley in a day or two for clarification.
Interesting, I had the recoil pulley on my 562 bite the dust as well. I was starting it on a job and the pulley felt like it bound up a little so I just drop started it and my problem was solved, so I thought. When I pulled the recoil to clean it awhile later I was greeted with the scene shown below. I ordered a new one from "The Duke" off of ebay (he's a great guy and a fast shipper) but I'm still curious to see what caused the pulley to bind in the first place. My 562 was bought new by my brother in February of 2020 (because he forgot he owned a 272 and his 372 was down), so it only has maybe 60-100hrs on it (read: it shouldn't be worn enough to have problems yet).
img_6875-jpeg.1251457.jpeg

It's a common issue, I'd say mortally to not using the decompression release. I know that's how I busted my last one. The plastic that supports the starter pins isn't very robust to begin with. The 562xp I picked up a bit ago as a builder had the same issue. However the peg haven't broken off fully. I can't really come up with another reason out side of not built heavy enough, and or not using the compression release every time.

Thanks for the replies, y'all.

Woodslasher: THAT is what happened to mine, except both posts were bending and worse. As well as plastic on the flipside was cracking and running.

Mine is a 2017 model. It has between 300-400 hours on it. Started doing it maybe 10-15 hours ago with no consistency. It happened enough that even the levers on the flywheel showed some signs of wear. A small magnet picked up some metal flakes from the recoil.

I have enough 550 parts lying around I swapped pulleys and replaced the outer recoil bolt. Gonna run it a few tanks before I fix the pulley cord, as it is a hair too short for comfort.

Is your new pulley holding up so far?

Sean: Interesting you feel or have seen it related to decomp. I generally use the decomp on the initial days startup and after lunch. Most of the time it fires on 2-1 or 2-2 pulls choke procedure. Occasionally, with decomp in or out it will take 3-2 and less common 3-3 pulls, though rare.

Decomp on mine doesn't seem to make it any more or less difficult to turn over. I'm less inclined to using it these days, as I've had the decomp stick a number of times; always a pain to pry it up.

So then I'm curious, was this also an issue on 550s as they use the same pulley? What about 545s?

Was this a common issue on any other series saw?

Thanks!

Pray to whatever you do or don't believe in the McFarland and Monument fires get some resources!

Woodslasher: THAT is what happened to mine, except both posts were bending and worse. As well as plastic on the flipside was cracking and running.

Mine is a 2017 model. It has between 300-400 hours on it. Started doing it maybe 10-15 hours ago with no consistency. It happened enough that even the levers on the flywheel showed some signs of wear. A small magnet picked up some metal flakes from the recoil.

I have enough 550 parts lying around I swapped pulleys and replaced the outer recoil bolt. Gonna run it a few tanks before I fix the pulley cord, as it is a hair too short for comfort.

Sean: Interesting you feel or have seen it related to decomp. I generally use the decomp on the initial days startup and after lunch. Most of the time it fires on 2-1 or 2-2 pulls choke procedure. Occasionally, with decomp in or out it will take 3-2 and less common 3-3 pulls, though rare.

Decomp on mine doesn't seem to make it any more or less difficult to turn over. I'm less inclined to using it these days, as I've had the decomp stick a number of times; always a pain to pry it up.

So then I'm curious, was this also an issue on 550s as they use the same pulley? What about 545s?

Was this a common issue on any other series saw?

Thanks!

Pray to whatever you do or don't believe in the McFarland and Monument fires get some resources!
Its just a hunch that it's due to not using the decomp. My first 562xp I bought new back in 2012, idk how many hours on it, should get it plugged in one if these days to check. At first I routinely used the decomp, then got lazy after years and stopped using it. Wasn't long before I was replacing the starter pulley. Went back to using the decomp, and haven't had an issue since. Could be purely circumstantial, and I firmly believe the pulley could be made better to start with. But after getting a second 562xp and seeing the pulley was on its way out (2016 model) leads me to the lack of decomp, use. This second saw can't have a lot of time on it it's in pretty nice shape overall.

Thanks!

My new pulley seems to be doing okay but I've yet to actually check it again.

Damage:

Attachments

• A1805FEF-AD88-4904-80C0-1C89A6CC8C8D.jpeg
    A1805FEF-AD88-4904-80C0-1C89A6CC8C8D.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
  • 420C2E7F-7318-4A50-9CF2-6143E595EA97.jpeg
    420C2E7F-7318-4A50-9CF2-6143E595EA97.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • FAA38A9A-41DE-440B-8C72-9CF47C427610.jpeg
    FAA38A9A-41DE-440B-8C72-9CF47C427610.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • B2FD96A1-CE54-413A-97A9-B0FBB009C94C.jpeg