Brush cutter suggestions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donb011

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a FS131 but looking for something with more power. I'm mainly running a mulching blade . Best blade I ever used but the I think it's just putting a little to much strain on the be FS131. So far I'm considering the Echo 410, Stihl fs240 and the husky 545. Anything else in that size and price range. The Echo cost the least but everyone is out of stock at the moment. I can get the Stihl and husky locally right now.
Thanks

I went to look at a Stihl. None in stock. The larger ones are German made, and in stock at the warehouse. Four days time. I almost ordered one, but with no hands on experience wasn't decided on how much power is enough, and the top end was pricey for the amount I anticipated using it.
The previous week I had changed truck and dump trailer insurance, and since got the first annual bill. Brush cutter is going to have to wait.

Bought the husky 545fb. 45.7cc and 2.8hp. Wow it cuts good. Stuff that would stop the FS131 the husky doesn't even flinch. The anti vib is a lot better to. The husky should work out good. I will see how it goes next weekend.

I'm curious what you're cutting that would stall the FS131. I've been (ab)using the 3-point brush knife blades on my older Stihl FS80 trimmers for years, and am always amazed at what it will cut through.

Best of luck on the new trimmer. Let us know how it performs.

Just yesterday found that the chainsaw tip from the Stihl HT 131 slips right on the FS 131! A 3 minute swap,
much better length for brushing, low pruning work. But gotta put it on one with the loop handle, the bicycle handle SUCKS with the chain saw. Been busy brushing back about 800' of fence line. Basically it's a job that's never done. With temps in the 30's' and little snow on the ground, winter is a good time to do the heavy cutting.

I'm curious what you're cutting that would stall the FS131. I've been (ab)using the 3-point brush knife blades on my older Stihl FS80 trimmers for years, and am always amazed at what it will cut through.

Best of luck on the new trimmer. Let us know how it performs.

Probably trees and thick bush stems. Running a 131 alongside an Echo 410U, I can tell you the Echo will cut bigger trees easier than the 131 does. 8” Stihl chisel tooth blade on the 131 and 9” Oregon Maxi on the 410.

Back