Bucket Truck Boom wont move-HELP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jj maso

Reaction score
We have an 86 international bucket truck for sale. i posted on fb to try to figure out a problem and following is the post:

someone came to see the bucket truck to buy it. we ran the boom up then brought it down. the top boom came down and will not go back up. the bottom boom will not come down. never happened before-of course it happened when trying to sell it. we tried to bring it down with the check valves but it would not move. can anybody that really knows help us with this please? mtivanguard v5.

This was an answer i got:
answer. Over center valve inside the upper boom at the elbow is stuck down
me: thank you. How do you get it back in
answer: Take round cover off steel section . Lube with wd-40 pry spool with screwdriver. Spool has a cap that looks like a mushroom
me:
we took both round covers off top boom and dont see the mushroom cap. took the lower cover off the bottom boom, not their either. anybody know where this thing is located on this truck?
no answer. does anyone know where this musroom cap is?
He sent us a diagram that showed the mushroom cap but not where to find it.
thank you and thank you.... for any help you can give us-really need to get this boom cradled.

Update: We finally found that mushroom cap switch, sprayed it and he popped it out. The upper boom worked perfect. The lower boom moved realllly slow going down. My husband sat it in the cradle but lifted it about a foot to center it and then it wouldnt go back down. We are almost there.... Anyone have any ideas why it was moving so slow going down and then wouldn't work?

We resolved our problem with the boom truck. I cant figure out how to delete the post. Anyone? Gotta be able to delete it, right?

So you posted on a forum for info to help, but once you got help you dont want to share the info that would help others?
Hey I have a 1999 international bucket truck 4900 DT466E I let it sit for a couple months and now I can't get my boom to swing around left or right, goes up and down fine?

air lock in your control unit is an possible cause. next would be stuck plungers in the control unit. These are notorious for sticking! My Hi-Ranger is all stuck from not being used,---oil all drained back down and air in lines making for a real pain in the ass to get going again IF I ever do!!! I just need to sell mine and forget it!!!

What type of fluid do you run in it?
air lock in your control unit is an possible cause. next would be stuck plungers in the control unit. These are notorious for sticking! My Hi-Ranger is all stuck from not being used,---oil all drained back down and air in lines making for a real pain in the ass to get going again IF I ever do!!! I just need to sell mine and forget it!!!

Dont know what the guy I bought it from has in it,----I have been messin with it for a year now part time. I just dont have enough time to work steady non-stop on it.
Not sure what the manual says to use in it. I wont run it in cold weather anyway.

Back