Bucket truck vs low bridge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lol....
WOW!
yea always go slow under any bridge with over sized equipment.
and use a spotter if it is to be a close one.
i watch on youtube the videos of the low bridge or two on there...

hard to convince folks to slow down and take their time.
and the results are bad at best...
now as far as the town or state...
they need better warning for low clearance.
like bars with a gate and red blue flashing lights that stop all travel!
kinda surprised they do not have a laser detection system for over sized trucks...
or a plate scanner to detect by registration and sound of an alarm and lights when they are over limits on weight and height.
it is not a perfect world we live in...
but we could make a difference!

lol....
WOW!
yea always go slow under any bridge with over sized equipment.
and use a spotter if it is to be a close one.
i watch on youtube the videos of the low bridge or two on there...

hard to convince folks to slow down and take their time.
and the results are bad at best...
now as far as the town or state...
they need better warning for low clearance.
like bars with a gate and red blue flashing lights that stop all travel!
kinda surprised they do not have a laser detection system for over sized trucks...
or a plate scanner to detect by registration and sound of an alarm and lights when they are over limits on weight and height.
it is not a perfect world we live in...
but we could make a difference!
Its a nightmare to put advanced warning signs on low clearance. I do this for a living. One low bridge in the Orlando area we have a problem with bridge strikes on, has been a test bed for every kind of countermeasure we can find. Five out the last seven advance warnings we have tried have been run over by motorists.... Its a RR and the raod actually was depressed to make it work. The Right of Way to purchase the land to build a new trestle at a higher height is very expensive and it not like buying ROW to add a lane of traffic in each direction. With the RR, the added height so the road would have standard clearance (16'6' in Florida), would make me buy ROW for two milles in each direction, because the gradient can't go vertical over a certain percentage per hundred feet.....

IN a simliar vein, last couple of years we have gone nuts adding ramp gates, and cameras for detection/montioring Wrong Way Drivers entering the interstate from the worng direction. If you're so whacked out on drugs and alcohol and the gates dont come down fast enough to catch you, (because there isn;t enough run-out room and I can't drop a gate fast enough for your speed) warning lights and such aint helping either- but we are trying. At least our cctv alerts FHP directly, and hopefully stops you before they get to a scene where you andthe people you hit are all dead. Which is most of the time

What do you think it cost for that recovery? $25,000?
Yeah to get them to show up.....4 times that maybe.....
Crane trucks, flatbed trailers, environmental clean-up, hiring an engineering firm to do a post-crash structure inspection, etc, if that was a railway overpass that rail line was closed for hours, and that is expensive in itself....The road was closed for hours, so you'd foot the bill for having the local highway department and emergency services to there to control traffic and establish a detour....from the pictures the process took many hours from the afternoon through the night into the early morning.
I've seen truck crashes that cost several times that when all was said and done. The most expensive I've seen was over $1M for a tank truck that went through the guardrail and down an embankment.
Another thing is the pavement and posted clearance signs...That pavement does not look too old....I hope somebody measured after the last time the road was resurfaced and the posted bridge height is accurate. The powers that be will be checking on this one for sure....

My buddy owns a towing company and the rotator alone costs $1,500 PER HOUR with 2 hour min.! -- I can see total job here being easily a quarter mil. IF no road/bridge damage is found.

Looks like a brad new forestry package on a used C & C.

Back