Bucking limbs and small (3-4” diameter) sticks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsayen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all

I’ve always bucked the limbs I intend to use for firewood while they’re still on the tree laying on the ground. Recently I had a pretty decent pile of 3-4” eight footers that I decided to buck up while in a pile. My normal pile cutting tends to be mindful of the tip and just go at it as the larger logs are heavy enough to stay in place. It doesn’t really work like that with the small stuff as it bounced around and pulls and pushes with the saw. I’ve seen a lot of guys put their left leg out to stand on each stick as they buck it and there surely must be a better and safer way. What am I missing?

thank you.

Yep, as you know, it's best to buck the small stuff while it's still attached to a large mass that will stabilize it. But sometimes someone else's work presents you with a pile of small stuff attached to nothing. In that case, know that the forces of your saw chain can propel anything you cut to fly--both sides of what you're bucking. So best to put a boot on one end so only one piece (the small stuff you're bucking) can fly.

I have a bloody scab on my right shin healing from something that flew into it a week or two back. If you do much cutting, it'll happen. But keep it to a minimum by stabilizing all you can.

At the same time, if you're a git-er-done type who's not paying close attention to how the saw and what you're cutting will react, nothing will protect you, your boot(s) or whatever from damage.

Yep, as you know, it's best to buck the small stuff while it's still attached to a large mass that will stabilize it. But sometimes someone else's work presents you with a pile of small stuff attached to nothing. In that case, know that the forces of your saw chain can propel anything you cut to fly--both sides of what you're bucking. So best to put a boot on one end so only one piece (the small stuff you're bucking) can fly.

I have a bloody scab on my right shin healing from something that flew into it a week or two back. If you do much cutting, it'll happen. But keep it to a minimum by stabilizing all you can.

At the same time, if you're a git-er-done type who's not paying close attention to how the saw and what you're cutting will react, nothing will protect you, your boot(s) or whatever from damage.
Thanks. Glad to hear I’m not over thinking this

Way back when I built a 'limb wood' bucking jig. two 2x6" on edge with 14" wide "u"s made out of angle iron spaced 16" apart. Load with those small pieces and buck a bunch at one time (cut BETWEEN the "u"s.
Saves a lot of work to load 8' stems and cut at home rather than pick up, load and unload a bunch of small rounds.

I posted a pic of it way back when then Photobucket got greedy and I lost the pictures.

This is a good idea if you buck a lot of limbs. There are many commercially made ones available. Here's a video of the Wolfcraft version.

This looks like a jig for the guy who read the safety manual too many times.

Put the pole in one hand and a top handle saw in the other. Saw to an appropriate length.

Personally I “buck” anything under 4” diameter into the burn pile. Firewood is highly labor intensive and cutting brush for firewood isn’t worth the time per btu in my house. Some will say I’m waisting firewood, but I don’t want to waist my time and with the local EAB trees, I don’t have to scrounge every twig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all

I’ve always bucked the limbs I intend to use for firewood while they’re still on the tree laying on the ground. Recently I had a pretty decent pile of 3-4” eight footers that I decided to buck up while in a pile. My normal pile cutting tends to be mindful of the tip and just go at it as the larger logs are heavy enough to stay in place. It doesn’t really work like that with the small stuff as it bounced around and pulls and pushes with the saw. I’ve seen a lot of guys put their left leg out to stand on each stick as they buck it and there surely must be a better and safer way. What am I missing?

thank you.
I'll cut them on the trunk like others have mentioned, but sometimes you have them given to you and the smaller, long limbs can be a pain for sure.
I still drag them up on my sawbuck and chain them down to cut in bulk.
Takes time but it's safe and I get nice uniform lengths for the stove.
I made this sawbuck out of old 2x6.
To the left was a pile of Cherry that was left at the roadside out front of a big old house nearby.
Good score there and worthy of a "You Suck"
Sept 17_2011 (3).JPG

Latest posts

Back