Budget Chainsaw Buying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rural King only sells Stihl around here. Unfortunately they stopped selling Echo a few years ago, otherwise the CS 4910 would be perfect. I think the cheapest Stihl that can run an 18" bar would be the MS 271, though its a little over your budget. If you can downsize a little there's the MS 251.

You know, I've got a dozen saws over 100CC's, probably 20 or more over 70CC's, a bunch of 50's. So, I've got everything covered. A good while back I was helping a friend and didn't have a saw with me. we ran up to Southern States and the MS 170 was pretty new, and on sale for $159, so I bought one. I know I've had it over ten years and it has just been absolutely reliable. It's light, 16" bar, starts easy. I'd recommend it for a starter saw. Or as Steve said an MS 180. I don't know if they still make the MS 170? But at 66 years old, I sure like mine. It did start to run poorly once. The ports on the muffler carboned up. Cleaned them out and it was like a new saw again.

There is a Mcculloch Timber Bear 20" bar real close to me for $80.

Do any of you have experience or an opinion on one of those?
A pile of those saws were sold during there run back in the 80s, not sure exactly what year they started them and when they stopped. They were sold under various names and there were different variations of it.

My Dad bought one new in the late 80s and it has cut a ton of wood. I have ran it alot over the years. It's heavy and awkward, seems to guzzle gas like crazy which I don't care about but you wanted a saw easy on gas, but it's a good runner. The oiler has been replaced several times and always fails so you have to use manual override.

You have a limited budget, and need a reliable saw so even though my Dad's has always started and ran i would be looking for something newer if I were you. Its an old saw and you may need to replace parts on it, further using up money. Also I haven't looked in a long time to see how parts availability is.

I still run my Dad's saw here and there if I'm goofing around. But when I am going out with the intent to get work done, it's not the saw I grab.

A pile of those saws were sold during there run back in the 80s, not sure exactly what year they started them and when they stopped. They were sold under various names and there were different variations of it.

My Dad bought one new in the late 80s and it has cut a ton of wood. I have ran it alot over the years. It's heavy and awkward, seems to guzzle gas like crazy which I don't care about but you wanted a saw easy on gas, but it's a good runner. The oiler has been replaced several times and always fails so you have to use manual override.

You have a limited budget, and need a reliable saw so even though my Dad's has always started and ran i would be looking for something newer if I were you. Its an old saw and you may need to replace parts on it, further using up money. Also I haven't looked in a long time to see how parts availability is.

I still run my Dad's saw here and there if I'm goofing around. But when I am going out with the intent to get work done, it's not the saw I grab.
Thank you, I'll probably be getting a Stihl or Husq when all said and done. For the moment I can keep running the Pioneer 2073 I got from my dad. Not cutting a lot at the moment anyway.

There is a Mcculloch Timber Bear 20" bar real close to me for $80.

Do any of you have experience or an opinion on one of those?
Affectionately known as the "McBrick" for their shape ,weight, and durability. Their oiler was funky but a pretty soild saw that utilize a 24" bar easily.

I received a helpful $200 gift card to Rural King for Christmas to go toward a new chainsaw. I would prefer not to put more then another $200 towards it or less. But could probably do more if I have to. I'm wondering what advice I can get from you all. Stihl seems to be the most popular but, I hear alot of folks have a hard time starting them if they don't use them a lot. I'm not sure how much I'll end up using the saw. We just got a house with a wood burning fireplace. Its neat now but I might not want to get into the wood harvesting thing.

Here is what I think I should be looking for: (let me know if you think of anything else)
- 18" to 20" bar
- 50cc or close to that
- easily starts
- isn't leaky
- doesn't suck down gas like I drink bourbon
- parts wont dry out from non use

I guess basically, what would you recommend for the $200 to $400 price range? I can use the gift card for other things.

Also, have any of you had experience with a Garwinner?
https://www.amazon.com/Chainsaws-Po...+chainsaw&qid=1672771914&s=lawn-garden&sr=1-3
find you a 20 year old Husqvarna 365/372 , it will out last anything you buy new.
350 Husqvarna is a great homeowner saw too.

find you a 20 year old Husqvarna 365/372 , it will out last anything you buy new.
350 Husqvarna is a great homeowner saw too.
I call bs on that statement. Good saws but not anymore or less reliable then the new offerings. Considering most the "new" saws have been on the market over 10 years now with marginal changes they have been proven or overlooked like the saws of old.
Only thing you say I agree with is a 350 was a great value of a saw for homeowner use.

I made a website to help new buyers find a good used saw by listing pro model saws from various manufacturers. My assumption is that older pro saws are better than most newer homeowner saws and can be purchased used for the same price, offering the buyer more quality for the money. It is my opinion.

There is a link in my signature to the page. I'd start with a saw in good condition off one of those lists, no matter the saw's age, rather than a low-end brand spankin' new saw that you may throw in the dump in a few years. The budget-model saws are disposable in my opinion.

Thanks all, I appreciate all the good advice. I will look into all these options. Is there a forum explaining necessity of some of the safety gear? I understand things like safety glasses, gloves, long sleeves, pants and steel toe boots. Chaps and Helmet I don't completely get though.
The best thing about a helmet with the mesh guard face protection is keeping those Chips out of your eyes. I forgot mine one day and cut a couple logs
I was amazed at how many chips get flying at me. It was very annoying. I did have safety glasses thankfully..

I also agree a helmet with integrated earmuffs and face screen is very nice. I almost always use mine while sawing. The screen stops chips from and the screen also never fogs, which is a plus over glasses and the main reason I like it.

You know, I've got a dozen saws over 100CC's, probably 20 or more over 70CC's, a bunch of 50's. So, I've got everything covered. A good while back I was helping a friend and didn't have a saw with me. we ran up to Southern States and the MS 170 was pretty new, and on sale for $159, so I bought one. I know I've had it over ten years and it has just been absolutely reliable. It's light, 16" bar, starts easy. I'd recommend it for a starter saw. Or as Steve said an MS 180. I don't know if they still make the MS 170? But at 66 years old, I sure like mine. It did start to run poorly once. The ports on the muffler carboned up. Cleaned them out and it was like a new saw again.
I have a 15 year old 170..love it. I cannot figure out why after I let it sit a while it is just a bugger to start. Takes like 15 to 20 pulls before it fires. Once I have it started I can start and stop no problem. Starts on one pull. I cleaned the carburetor new spark plug clean the muffler screen. New gas. I have stored it with stihl gas in it. I also stored it empty. Doesn't seem like anything really matters to that after it sits awhile hard starting. Any ideas?

I have a 15 year old 170..love it. I cannot figure out why after I let it sit a while it is just a bugger to start. Takes like 15 to 20 pulls before it fires. Once I have it started I can start and stop no problem. Starts on one pull. I cleaned the carburetor new spark plug clean the muffler screen. New gas. I have stored it with stihl gas in it. I also stored it empty. Doesn't seem like anything really matters to that after it sits awhile hard starting. Any ideas?
IMHO, I think it's the nature of the beast. My 27 year old 025 is the same way since new. Not quite as bad probably 8 or 10 pulls. Never really counted.

Could be the choke not really getting a good enough seal. Sometimes it's just the fuel draining from the line/filter and carb, depending how tight everything is sealed, temperature changes and how sensitive the vent is. Low compression or small saws can also take a few more pulls to draw the fuel up than a bigger engine or more compression. Stiff diaphragms can sometimes take a little bit to supple up again, and any leaks interfering with the intake can force another pull or 2 out of you. Also, up North here at least, the temperature between a frozen saw in the morning and a saw that's been running for an hour is pretty noticeable, so it's a tuning balance between taking a dozen pulls to start in the morning or flooding in the middle of the day. If all else fails, keep it in the warm truck for a few minutes before trying to start it and use your trusty thumb as an airtight choke for a few tugs.

Not really. I always blame it on the fuel. But, when Covid first broke out I was working on a job cleaning up Oak logs after a tornado hit. I like to get on the job and start up. So I had my 660 fueled up ready to go. Got on the job and the homeowner was freaking out, she was so afraid of Covid she put my check on a log and cancelled the rest of the job. That was in February. Come thanksgiving, I needed the saw and remembered it had been setting full of fuel for months. Pulled the choke and it fired right up. I bought a Mac 1-40. Guy said it had been setting on a shelf with no plug since his dad owned the shop in the 70’s. Put a plug on the wire and it had spark. Put a shot of mix in the carb, it fired. Filled the tank and it ran great.
Then I’ve had saws that sat for a few months and the carbs were all gooped up. I use regular 87 with Stihl ultra.
With the 170 I would check the exhaust ports for carbon build up? Mine was hard to start till I cleaned the ports, but it was way down on power too.
The best thing for any engine is to run it. Pick one day a month and if you haven’t run the saw, start it up and run it long enough to get the fuel in the lines and carb cleaned out.

Yes, I do have an idea! After sitting the fuel in the carb has pretty much evaporated and it takes all that cranking to get fuel to the carb? Once it starts it’s good to go, correct? That’s where starting it up for just a couple minutes helps.

I made a website to help new buyers find a good used saw by listing pro model saws from various manufacturers. My assumption is that older pro saws are better than most newer homeowner saws and can be purchased used for the same price, offering the buyer more quality for the money. It is my opinion.

There is a link in my signature to the page. I'd start with a saw in good condition off one of those lists, no matter the saw's age, rather than a low-end brand spankin' new saw that you may throw in the dump in a few years. The budget-model saws are disposable in my opinion.
Not that I haven't appreciated your efforts with your list, but you attitude with the cheaper saws is wrong with more then one models. there are a lot of "pro" old saws that are total garbage, or can't get parts for. This all adds up to bad advice. There's been plenty of evidence there are exceptions to the home owner saw experience. Off the top of my head the stihl ms180c and husqy 350 are very good saws for the money.

Not that I haven't appreciated your efforts with your list, but you attitude with the cheaper saws is wrong with more then one models. there are a lot of "pro" old saws that are total garbage, or can't get parts for. This all adds up to bad advice. There's been plenty of evidence there are exceptions to the home owner saw experience. Off the top of my head the stihl ms180c and husqy 350 are very good saws for the money.

Yes, I am also beginning to find exceptions to the rule. 455 Rancher is rather popular. Some "clamshell" saws from Echo are becoming quite popular and are proving rather durable. The site is always a work in progress. Wanna help?

Latest posts

Back