Budget Chainsaw Buying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 15 year old 170..love it. I cannot figure out why after I let it sit a while it is just a bugger to start. Takes like 15 to 20 pulls before it fires. Once I have it started I can start and stop no problem. Starts on one pull. I cleaned the carburetor new spark plug clean the muffler screen. New gas. I have stored it with stihl gas in it. I also stored it empty. Doesn't seem like anything really matters to that after it sits awhile hard starting. Any ideas?
I have a 018 that acted exactly the same. It turns out that the choke lever was not closing the choke plate completely. Take off the cover. Engage the throttle and the choke. See if you can close the choke further. Notice that the choke plate is actually closed by the "bend" in the linkage. I bent the "bend" a little more with two pair of pliers. The choke closes and starts fine now
I have a 15 year old 170..love it. I cannot figure out why after I let it sit a while it is just a bugger to start. Takes like 15 to 20 pulls before it fires. Once I have it started I can start and stop no problem. Starts on one pull. I cleaned the carburetor new spark plug clean the muffler screen. New gas. I have stored it with stihl gas in it. I also stored it empty. Doesn't seem like anything really matters to that after it sits awhile hard starting. Any ideas?

I have a 018 that acted exactly the same. It turns out that the choke lever was not closing the choke plate completely. Take off the cover. Engage the throttle and the choke. See if you can close the choke further. Notice that the choke plate is actually closed by the "bend" in the linkage. I bent the "bend" a little more with two pair of pliers. The choke closes and starts fine now
Pretty normal issue for vintage stihls with that set up, or the plastic shaft/cam. Poor design that wore and gave issues. Be happy you have the metal rod and could bend it.

Back