Building a 2150 into a 346/2153….

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunther274

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have watched the videos I understand the process quite well I believe by now. What I have is a 2150 I just bought from a guy that seems to run mosquito fogger rich, then suddenly in the cut it leans out and revs to the moon. Must be sucking air somewhere. Saw has good compression, it’s not roasted yet, but will be soon the way it’s running. I’m planning to tear it down and put a 346 P&C on it. I have a cylinder, a used one, and I’m just wondering/confirming it is what I think it is before I move forward. It’s a Mahle, came in a box of junk 346 parts I got a year or 2 ago to try to build into a 346. Long story longer the box of junk is still a box of junk. Help me ID this cylinder and let me know if it has the proper intake on it already, I believe it does…image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
I’m hoping/ thinking this is the 44.3 NE cyl. I plan to go down to the crank bearings, replace, re seal, re gasket that, get a meteor piston for this cyl if it’s the right setup, and bring new life to the 2150. It’s a clean saw cosmetically in great shape. Final question is can I use the current carb from the 2150 for this project?
Thanks!

Your cylinder looks to be the proper one, as long as the bore and plating are in good shape. And it has the updated metal clamp on it. I would remove the clamp and boot and confirm that the impulse nipple is in good shape. It can be difficult to tell when that nipple is lined up and sometimes they get kinked or broken on assembly

Your cylinder looks to be the proper one, as long as the bore and plating are in good shape. And it has the updated metal clamp on it. I would remove the clamp and boot and confirm that the impulse nipple is in good shape. It can be difficult to tell when that nipple is lined up and sometimes they get kinked or broken on assembly
Is this the cylinder with better ports then a 350?

Is this the cylinder with better ports then a 350?
Yes. The early 350 had standard open port runners and the later 350/353 had the half open half closed port cylinder with the removable transfer caps. 346 is just like the 357, 365, 372, 385, 390… Bottom fed with swooping tunnels

Yes. The early 350 had standard open port runners and the later 350/353 had the half open half closed port cylinder with the removable transfer caps. 346 is just like the 357, 365, 372, 385, 390… Bottom fed with swooping tunnels
I see the generous radius on the presumed short turn. Outsides are very nice looking tunnel ports.

Latest posts

Back