Building a log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spring loaded bypass in a suction filter? Never seen one. Return filters housings do have a spring to allow oil to bypass the filter in case of a clogg. Only reason I can see to have a spring loaded filter on the suction side would be if the filter was also acting as a backflow preventer/check valve so oil couldn't run out of the suction hose when the pump wasn't pumping. Example, when the pump is mounted higher than the oil tank which would allow the suction hose to drain back to tank on shut down, and cause a dry startup for the pump before oil is sucked back up into the suction hose. Even in this example I cant see the need for a spring loaded check valve to allow oil to bypass the suction filter during suction.

Bypass suction strainers are pretty common on industrial equipment...never understood what the point was!

As a tech I would much rather have pump cavitation do to starvation rather than the system committing harakiri by bypassing the suction strainers and picking up debris as big as a quarter off the bottom of the reservoir.

Not sure if this shows up decently.

5psi.

They make them. Optional.

Mine is 3" pipe thread.

Seems they are pointless. Just makes sure the pump is killed sooner really... Then again if you have floaties that serious, then you as an operator need to be punished.

Haha..

126b5bd8c03740514247ce0f159ceeb3.jpg

Not sure if this shows up decently.

5psi.

They make them. Optional.

Mine is 3" pipe thread.

Seems they are pointless. Just makes sure the pump is killed sooner really... Then again if you have floaties that serious, then you as an operator need to be punished.

Haha..

126b5bd8c03740514247ce0f159ceeb3.jpg
I have changed out and cleaned probably a 1000 of those strainers and never realized they had a bypass in them. Pulled up a listing of suction strainers and it seems almost all of them have the bypass. I guess it more common than I realized.

Only one I ever had to clean was because I stuffed a rag in suction port, weeks later threw together, and forgot about rag!

Ground up gooey pudd.

Raised hell with the brass bushings too.

Was a nice gear pump.... Gagged out that poor c block Cummins....

Permatex glue can clog up a strainer to. We had a suck truck that would suck the hyd oil from the tanks and filter and remove any moisture. We would remove the strainers from the equipment tanks every year and clean, return the old oil and top off the tanks with new. The things you would find inside a hyd tank kept you wondering how it got in there in the first place. And guess what was used to reseal the tank top, yep silicon gasket maker.

Back