Building home and worried about Oak tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LCPLPunk

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am having a home built in Maryland and in the back left of the lot there is a really large oak tree. I was at the lot today and noticed they have carved out a bunch of soil around the tree and I'm worried that permanent damage has been done and that the tree won't survive. I would be sad to lose the tree and I'm worried over time if the tree dies it may fall on the house, although it appears most of the branches are actually on the opposite side from where the house is. Can you all take a look at let me know what you think? (ignore my finger)

Attachments

• tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
  • tree2.jpg
    tree2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
How sharp was the drop in grade before excavation? Was it level all the way across? If so, that is a LOT of the root system removed. But it is not out of the question that the tree grew near a "cliff" like that with no roots on one side. The difference there is that it never would have developed roots, so it would not have been counting on those for water.

Which way are we looking/ Where do prevailing winds come from?

The good news is, the roots on the back side should anchor it from falling to your house with a fall being more likely away...

Thanks very much!!! Here is what the lot looked like prior to construction.

In this picture, you'd be looking roughly east, so if somehow the tree fell over it would be in the direction of our house, BUT, I believe most of the big branches are on the opposite side of the house.
From what I am reading, it looks like most winds in my area are coming from the west.

Attachments

• tree3.jpg
    tree3.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
Unfortunately, it looks like they took exactly 0.0 care about that tree.

Between cutting major roots and piling dirt on top of the roots on the other side.

Was there a clause in the contract to preserve the tree?

Some trees just need to come out...if that wasn't able to be protected, it should have been removed before construction started. very poor planning and/or execution on the part of the builder. Unfortunately, that is more of the norm than the exception.

That's unfortunate to hear! :( When we saw the site plan the builder said that the oak tree would remain, but I don't specifically remember anything special regarding it's care.
With what you see here, how worried should I be about the tree falling on my house?

Latest posts

Back