Busted 036

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssage

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Broke the rear handle on my 036. No luck finding an oem replacement new or used.
Any thoughts, suggestions, or advice regarding the aftermarket options available would be much appreciated.
thanks!

Not sure how bad it is broken. But, you can clean it good with acetone or contact cleaner. Rough it up with some sand paper or whatever. Get you some 1708 fiberglass and epoxy and repair it. I have done several.
Obviously I haven't seen what you have done to yours, but if it is where you can wrap it the repair will last.

I have torn boats all the way down to the glass removing transom, stringers, and all and rebuilt them inside out.
Why I had the stuff to try it to start with.

Thanks for the idea, zero. The small end is pretty well powdered, but I might be able to fab something up and glass the bits together.
cheers!

Thanks, pioneerguy.
Price looks great!
But the shipping is a little rich for my blood @ $83.00 American pesos.
What would a decent oem part be worth all in?
thanks

Thanks for the idea, zero. The small end is pretty well powdered, but I might be able to fab something up and glass the bits together.
cheers!
That is where the ones I have repaired were broken. 1708 is some pretty think fiberglass. You can cut it in maybe 2 inch strips. Fast epoxy will kick pretty quick. Wear some surgical gloves and just squeeze it in to the shape you need until it stays put. Take a Dremel with a little sanding wheel and clean it up. If you have to go over the black part in the back or cover the screw that holds the top on it is a simple matter to sand it back off if you ever need to get in there.
So far, I have been able to keep the top removable and access to the screw.

That is where the ones I have repaired were broken. 1708 is some pretty think fiberglass. You can cut it in maybe 2 inch strips. Fast epoxy will kick pretty quick. Wear some surgical gloves and just squeeze it in to the shape you need until it stays put. Take a Dremel with a little sanding wheel and clean it up. If you have to go over the black part in the back or cover the screw that holds the top on it is a simple matter to sand it back off if you ever need to get in there.
So far, I have been able to keep the top removable and access to the screw.
thanks for the tips. I think I‘ll give it a try.
Nothing ventured,
you know, the thing.
cheers!

I bought one of them. $60.00 shipped. Very complete unit
thanks again!
The 036 is a strong running saw, I ported mine back around 2007 and it would stay side by side with a new MS440 I had just bought. Ported, muffler modded and muffler to cylinder matched it is still a fun saw to run when away from peoples homes. These days I run a stock MS362 when around residential work.

Busted redux.
Thanks for all the advice so far.
The new handle assembly went pretty good for a first timer.
Got everything back together for a test run and the mighty 036 ran as good as ever.
Then the trouble began.
Couldn’t mount the air filter. The tank vent is completely different than the original.
Tall, black, and in the way of the oem filter.
Tried bending it gently out of the way only to find the oem carb studs on the broken handle are longer than those on the replacement by 3/8” inch or so. Filter screws won’t make contact even with vent removed.
I can pull it apart and swap studs, but that won’t solve the vent issue.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated..

There were a couple of different tank styles which weren't really interchangeable. Sounds like you saw has the old style or has an 034 tank on it. Post some photos of both.

There were a couple of different tank styles which weren't really interchangeable. Sounds like you saw has the old style or has an 034 tank on it. Post some photos of both.
Thanks for responding, Steve.
I’m pretty much an illiterate luddite when it comes to computers and anything related.
I’ll see if I can get my 11 year old neighbor to show me how to get some pictures.…

Let’s see if this’ll work….

Attachments

• 1BCAFA67-FE72-4273-83CF-5134CF38A26A.jpeg
    1BCAFA67-FE72-4273-83CF-5134CF38A26A.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Back