Butt clench moments

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went out to collect some carving wood yesterday. I was pretty disappointed with the self feeding, though the teeth were sharp and rakers set correctly. I think either worn drivers or a slightly splayed rail (both?) caused me issues, it cut well with some pressure, but didn’t do well without. None the less, a momentary laps in concentration and I put my arm across the bar in a cut to free a pinch (should have just used a wedge). Had I have had kickback, I would have likely been having surgery on my arm.. live and learn! It’s amazing how something so obvious that you shouldn’t do, in the moment, is so easy to do..

I have no problem sharing the stupid things I do at my expense if maybe it will help someone else avoid it..

Two videos, one from my spoon carving channel of the whole day and the other was a 4 second clip that I purposely took out of the video through embarrassment…

Remember keep TWO hands on the saw, even better!
It’s always that little voice in our heads “you shouldn’t really be doing this” and then counteracted by the other little voice “just a quick cut and it’s done, you’ll be fine..”

When that happens I’ll always listen to the former, however this time was simply a careless oversight, focusing on the end goal, not the safe journey getting there.

Had one this morning, testing a customers ms261 i rebuilt on some small chunks of firewood, i like to do a rip cut to really put a consistent load on them, i ripped about a 20" long 10" chunk in half, then sat up one of the halves to rip it too....chain went down, log shifted, i should have stopped...reset and gone again but no, i lifted and as the log was falling over away from me...my stupid ass tried to use the moving chain to stop it. Wasnt a kick back but the bar and chain did move up a bit faster than id have liked.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Had one this morning, testing a customers ms261 i rebuilt on some small chunks of firewood, i like to do a rip cut to really put a consistent load on them, i ripped about a 20" long 10" chunk in half, then sat up one of the halves to rip it too....chain went down, log shifted, i should have stopped...reset and gone again but no, i lifted and as the log was falling over away from me...my stupid ass tried to use the moving chain to stop it. Wasnt a kick back but the bar and chain did move up a bit faster than id have liked.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Hindsight is 20-20, glad nothing happened :)

Latest posts

Back