Buy Used 044 or pay for new 462?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KrAzY

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone i am having a dilemma and thought maybe some of you might help me decide, I have been wanting a felling mid range saw to fill my gap in equipment. I have 2 limb saws and my go to for all around cutting is a ms261cm but i am missing that next step up saw in the 70ish cc range to cut bigger rings past what my 261cm can cut with 20" bar and maybe fell a few trees as well here and there. Now part of my brain tells me to just get a older 044 and it would fit the bill nicely i'm sure but even though every seller says their saw is in "excellent" shape your really taking a risk on used equipt without knowing how it was taken care of. Guy wants to sell his 044 with 160psi compression and seems to be in excellent shape other then alot of paint missing for $600ish+shipping, While i want to pull the trigger and get it because i know 044's were great saws from what i hear i can't help but think with other part of my brain telling me that is alot of money for a saw i can't see or touch that would be a online sale and all i have seen is alot of pics showing piston and rings and compression reading, But how do i know it will be reliable theres no guarantee it doesn't have hidden issues and that's alot of money. So i started thinking why buy a 30+ year old saw when i can pay more and get a brand new ms462cm? Yes i know it is about double the price of what this online seller is asking for his 044 but i would be getting a brand new saw with warranty for about twice as much at $1200 with 28 inch bar from local dealer.

Also what makes it hard to decide is i wouldn't be using the saw much it would just sit in my truck with other saws until i might need it but it wouldn't get more then a handful of hours of use per year probably but it would be a investment to last years to come is also how i see it to justify the money spent i don't want a saw that's not going to be reliable when i do need it that someone didn't maintain properly i don't know the history of the saw also 600ish for a 30+ year old saw seems high to me but at glance of pics it seems to be at least compression and piston wise to be a healthy 044 as i hear anything over 140psi is good at this tests at 160 and is the 10mm all oem original according to seller. So what do you guys think? Pay less and get a old but good reputation 044? Or pull the trigger and just invest in a 462 for the long haul that i know is new asnd maybe has better anti vibe as well for my degrading nerves in my hands? That is also a factor on how good the anti vibe was on the 044?

Anyway i appreciate your help and time thank you.

‘brain telling me that is alot of money for a saw i can't see or touch’

I can relate to this.

I would want to see the 044 in person for that price. I’ve found that a lot of these guys selling off older Stihls online like the 044/046 don’t know much about the saws only that they fetch a premium.

Just ask as many questions about the saw as possible and ask for extra pictures.

If you like your 261 you'll love a 462. The 044 is a great saw but to buy one not knowing a lot of it's history is just scary. Like you said with nerve damage i think the antivibe on the 462 might be the ticket for you. The 261 and 462 are my go to saws now that I have them both. Good luck.

I have been wanting a mid range saw to fill my gap in equipment. I have 2 limb saws and my go to for all around cutting is a ms261cm.
I am missing a saw in the 70ish cc range to cut past what my 261cm can cut with 20" bar.
Should I get an older 044 or new 462?
Every seller says their saw is in "excellent" shape, but you're really taking a risk on used equipment without knowing.
A guy I know wants to sell his 044 with 160psi compression for $600 plus shipping. It seems to be in excellent shape other then a lot of paint missing.
I know 044s were great saws but also that is a lot of money for a saw I can't see or touch.
Why buy a 30+ year old saw when I can get a brand new ms462cm? It's about double the price, but I would be getting a brand new saw with warranty.

What makes it hard to decide is the saw would not be used much - maybe a few hours a year.

What do you guys think? Pay less and get an old 044? Or invest in a 462?

Anyway I appreciate your help and time.

Knowing the seller vs a random person in internet land helps.
Though ~$650 is on the very high end...

Something to consider as well is that a smaller saw, like a 362, will handle a 24" bar.

I’ve sold a lot of 036, 360, 044, 440 saws I’ve run the hell out of that would be excellent for occasional use. If you can find someone who gets along with a chainsaw you can probably buy something worn out from them that’s awesome for occasional use.
If someone scored the piston and has repaired steer clear. But if it’s been worn out until it was low compression and a new piston installed, perfect. I’ve worn out lots of saws and never scorn a piston. Scorn piston = idiot user.
I don’t currently have anything for sale, but there’s lots of guys that probably do. Go for 440, they can handle a lot of hours on their frame before they are done. About the time your second piston is down to 130 compression it’s only good for occasional use.

I’m kinda in the same boat and even went a step further in thinking about having a new bigger saw ported. I have an echo 590 and want something bigger. I’m pretty sure I’ll buy a new ms462 personally. I’ve found some used stuff but they’re priced like a stihl saw. I am just going to spend a few hundred more and buy the new one.

Thank you for all your posts i appreciate everyone's opinions i thought about it a lot and the guy selling the 10mm 044 went up to over 650 before i stopped bidding on the auction i can only assume it went even higher as it had over 33 people watching it and over 25 bids with still over a day left on the auction, So i decided once it went that high i didn't care how good of shape it was in over $650 for a 044 to me was getting way overpriced so i went to my local dealer and got a new 462cm with 28 inch bar for now and will probably get a 32 or even a 36 later on if needed and keep it in the truck for if i ever need bigger then 28.

Again thanks to every one that responded it really helped me decide and hopefully i will enjoy the 462 for years to come.

If your making money with saws a old 44 is just that old.

If its a CAD purchase either saw will work. A new 462 is 1200 Herr

At 600 could get the 44 ported buy one of the guys here have a sexy older saw that can hold its own against todays saws.

Latest posts

Back