Buying a portable sawmill in 2021?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like the manufacturers are backed up for several months, some are even expecting a late 2022 delivery date. Nobody seems to be offering a used one in Colorado or New Mexico as well.

I am thinking of these spec's in a Woodland Mills:
14hp engine
16' board length
Built in trailer
26" wide log capacity (HM126)

Almost 63, healthy, and retired due to Covid mandated business closures. I feel best when physically active and have always enjoyed almost all aspects of working with wood.

I already have over 100 harvested trees to work with. The lumber from those should pay for a portable sawmill. I also plan to build a huge carport and another home.
Get busy, those downed trees won't last forever.

It's not a question of the raw material. It's the fact that any product shipping out of China to the West is deliberately poorly manufactured and will have a short working lifetime. I don't blame China for that fact - it's our own fault, because we want it that way. We want cheap stuff, so China supplies it, but it comes at a different cost - zero reliability. Sure, you might not have the money for a tool that's made to a high standard, but if you buy a cheap one therefore, you'll soon be cursing it for unreliability, inaccuracy and bits falling off. Chinese mills are selling now in the UK for less than $1000 - with a warranty of 90 days... Yes, 90 days!
I don't have personal experience of a Chinese mill, but I know someone with a Woodland Mills and he's very unhappy with it, wishes he hadn't gone for the low price and shiny paint. I do have an English mill (Trekkasaw) with an Italian diesel motor, that I bought 2nd-hand 34 years ago for $4000 and have never had any problems with it, still in use today. Any Chinese stuff I've bought in the meantime has given trouble - most recently, a Bosch pillar drill (I thought it was German?) and a vehicle hoist with electrical faults from new. (thought it was UK, as it had a Union Jack on the ebay ad :dumb2:).
I'm fine with the OP buying a Woodland Mills and I hope he has years of productivity with it. My post was only to say that I wouldn't do so myself.
NEVER any problems?In 34 yrs?Lets not go down that road you know that is a bit of a exaggeration just to prove a point!

I don't really care where it is "assembled" as everything now days is global sourced for parts. There in lies the crux of the matter. Second part of the equation built to a price point. Third - unique parts availablity down the road. Made a lot of no longer available parts for customers over the last 50+ years.

NEVER any problems?In 34 yrs?Lets not go down that road you know that is a bit of a exaggeration just to prove a point!

It depends on your definition of “Problems “, Normal Maintenance and replacement of wear parts isn’t “Problems”, and the usage level has a lot to do with how long a tool lasts.

I bought my 266XP “Ol’ Reliable” in 1991, and have had No Problems with it, just maintenance, thing doesn’t even get a fresh spark plug as often as it probably should, but over 30 years old, and still runs Great, even has the original jug and slug, but I’m a personal firewood cutter, not a professional faller that would probably wear a saw out in 3-5 years, and replace the P&C at least once

A lot goes into a Problem Free tool, it has to start with a Quality Tool, but even a Quality tool is only as good as the maintenance plan it is on and the mechanic working on it, then every tool has an expected service life, but points one and two have a lot to do with wether a tool lives up to, or even exceeds it’s service life, many tools do exceed their expected service life, the operator has a lot to do with that as well

A lightly used, well maintained, quality mill run by an experienced operator, I don’t have any trouble believing in 34 years of problem free service

Buy a cheap tool, don’t take care of it, then abuse it in use, you’re likely to have Problems with it in the first year or two

Doug

I wouldn't go near a WM for the simple fact of where it comes from. It'll have the same degree of quality and robustness as everything else from that part of the world.

Don't let that pile of cash burn a hole in your pocket. You really do not want to buy a sawmill in a hurry. Sit back and wait - something good will come up in due course. Use the time to advantage by researching, learning from other millers, helping out where you can, it'll give you a better idea of what you need. And get the word out that you're looking - there's likely someone out there ready to sell his mill, but not got round to it yet. Good luck, anyway.
Completely disagree with the first paragraph, the level of quality is outstanding! They’re designed and assembled in Canada, yes parts are manufactured in China (most everything you own is) but strictly in accordance to the specs provided by WM. I own a Woodlander HM126 and it’s more rugged than many other manufacturers and the price tag is less. I’ve had multiple sawyers who own Norwood, Woodmizer, Timbery, and Frontier mills look at my mill and say that the Woodlander is far better built and more rugged. I’m not saying they’re the best but their quality is excellent and the customer service is second to none. They truly care and believe in their products. They don’t have the bells and whistles like hydraulics and debarked but from my experience as a mechanic, less fancy stuff = more dependable. For lifting logs I use my tractor with grapple attachment, forks work well too. If you’re serious about milling, you’ll want a tractor anyways.

Your point on a tractor is a key point. Lifting capacity adds a considerable cost. A large part of milling is moving logs. The bigger the logs the better. Trailers, or tractors or whatever is already a cost you need just to get the log on whatever you are going to saw with. Not knowing enough about WM but from videos, if you have a tractor or fork the only hydraulic is turning the logs. A tractor or fork can do that, but my question as I am contemplating purchasing My first BS mill is turning the log. The cost is less and a limiting factor but is it more saving nickels to lose dollars? Or is the time saving of hydraulics not as much a factor?

In both places, I bring some larger loads which I can't justify chainsaw milling I help to turn as both have Woodmizers but no hydraulic system to turn logs. They have big tractors. Going Hydraulic seems to be the reason to go with Woodmizer.

Woodland mills has a winch attachment and ramps that’s for loading the logs. I’m pretty sure you could use the winch to turn the logs. I just use a peavey and haven’t had any issues turning logs. Have a look at their website. I just price checked the woodmizer mills, for one with hydraulics it starts at $42,000 Cdn plus plus. For the model Woodlander I have (HM126) with trailer package and extension kit cost me a total of $8000. You can buy a nice tractor for $34000 which is a lot more useful than hydraulics on a mill

Woodland mills has a winch attachment and ramps that’s for loading the logs. I’m pretty sure you could use the winch to turn the logs. I just use a peavey and haven’t had any issues turning logs. Have a look at their website. I just price checked the woodmizer mills, for one with hydraulics it starts at $42,000 Cdn plus plus. For the model Woodlander I have (HM126) with trailer package and extension kit cost me a total of $8000. You can buy a nice tractor for $34000 which is a lot more useful than hydraulics on a mill
We used a Peavey which is a new word for me I had to look it up to check I call it a Cant Hook. Either way, I am looking at at least over 3 feet wide and the logs I am most interested in are dense hardwood over 3 feet by 10 ft for slabs for various types of tables. They are usually incredibly heavy. Lots of the videos are small construction lumber logs that can be turned easily. I will check out more on the winch system for turning. The numbers are not small for sure.

Latest posts

Back