Buying a Wood Splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hexa Fox

The Fox Rocks!
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So a wood/log splitter is something that I have wanted a long time. So I just had a Cherry Tree taken down on my property and the guy gave me a discount to leave it lay on the ground. I haven't learned my lesson in years of doing stuff like this. I do not care what anyone says they are always bigger when they are on the ground than when they were standing. 🤣 Anyway a couple of my neighbors also had trees removed this year and for some reason decided to do the same thing. Both of them told me that I could have the left over wood if I wanted it.

You guys can probably see where this is going. I was looking for some advice on getting a log splitter. So I recently convinced myself that I was going to purchase one used because it is something that I am going to have to store outside for the time being anyway. So I figured if I found one with a little rust on it or something I could spray a little fluid film on it and be happy. However, I am noticing that a lot of these people selling them are asking close to what you could purchase a new one for and look like many of them have seen better days. I guess my questions is should I try to purchase one used and save the money? Is there a lot of risk in buying one used? Should I just bite the bullet and get one new?

I have already done some research on them, I was sold on a two way splitter, they look really cool but then I realized you cannot set them up for vertical splitting which is a deal breaker for me. Also can you pretty much by a two way splitter wedge attachment for any log splitter or are a lot of the wedges/chucks different? To clarify they are the things that usually slip over your existing wedge/chuck. I saw people using them and they look like they could save a lot of time if you are not trying to use them to split something huge.

If I decide to buy used I am guessing I should change/check all the fluids immediately? Is there anything to look out for? Like try to split a piece of wood on one and check for leaks etc? Any advice would be greatly appreciated gentlemen.

Also I notice a lot of people are interested in renting log splitters. Is this something you guys would do with yours or is that a bad idea? Do you guys ever do splitting jobs for people? I would imagine that would not be cost effective. If you are using your own equipment, splitting wood and stacking it for someone I would imagine it is going to be too close to what they could just purchase a load of wood for but you guys tell me.

I looked for used briefly before buying my new TSC 30 ton unit. Used price as you stated was why and now they have gone up even more. If buying used make sure to take a few rounds to try it first and a Honda engine is a plus. Buying a used splitter right now is like buying a lawn mower in the spring though. Good luck.

I looked for used briefly before buying my new TSC 30 ton unit. Used price as you stated was why and now they have gone up even more. If buying used make sure to take a few rounds to try it first and a Honda engine is a plus. Buying a used splitter right now is like buying a lawn mower in the spring though. Good luck.

Yeah I thought the same thing about Honda engines. Except they are putting the really small engines on them. A lot of the MTD ones have the smaller GC 160 on the 22 ton log splitters. They are good engines do not get me wrong but that engine seems to really struggle to power those pumps. Not sure if MTD is correct nowadays but I am referring to the Troy Bilt, Cub Cadet, Yard Machines, Craftsman etc. Once you move up to the 25 ton or more on those splitters they put a generic engine on it with their sticker.

I found a few of them used online with the Honda engine and was really excited but they really seem to struggle and have really long cycle times. I think it is the GC 190 that makes a pretty big difference but I guess that is too expensive for their budget. I found a couple of the County Line splitters to be reasonably priced as well. I also found a couple online as well. I have a local Tractor Supply now so I might stop by and take a look at them up close.

I was die hard Honda or Kawasaki engine but my 30 ton TSC splitter has a 9.5 hp kohler that’s been alright. I’m not a kohler fan but it was available. It’s split stuff that stalled my buddy’s 27 ton Troy built with a 190cc Honda. I think my kohler is a 340cc. It’s a a lot faster than my buddy’s splitter but mostly that’s the pump. Looking back I’d buy the northstar 37 ton with the big Honda and log lift.

I have a Power Pro 27 ton . Bought new for $1300 and two years later they now sell for $1700. I have the Honda GC 160 and I agree it is no power house, but starting in cold weather sure beats a Kohler.As for splitting, if it can't split a knot, it will cut it. I have split some very ugly maple and cherry knots. It may bog down, but has never killed the engine. As for renting it out, I would not. Too many think you can pull it down the interstate at 80 mph.As for hiring out yourself and machine, not a bad idea. Around here I have charged $50/ hr for me and my wife splitting. Not a bad little side job.

Was pretty strong in the wood splitter weighs 8lbs camp, but some elm and mid sixties had me grab a well used but still in nice shape 28 ton, plenty for anything I've thrown at it. The 7.0 Briggs is a great motor. almost always one easy pull starting even after months of sitting. Yes the horizontal vertical units are the way to go, no sense lifting big heavy rounds when you can roll and split em on the ground. Unless you have a lot of time to watch the ads, new is prolly the hot tip. Cherry is easy splitting. Easier to hand split and noodle a few crotches than drag a splitter out.
Helping an old neighbor stock up.
KIMG0193.JPG

This unit has a 2 speed ram, drops down "into low gear" for tough knots even elm knots so gnarly I have to knock them off the wedge with a maul won't stop it.
About 3/4 of my splitting still with an 8 lb maul.

I found a nice splitter local to me. County Line 28 Ton with a Honda GC 190 on it. Not really that local, he is an hour away from me. The unit does look like it is in excellent shape. He said he is firm on the $1,300 price. Do you guys think that is worth it? He might come down a little.

Also I noticed these splitters can be pretty heavy. I have a decent sit of ramps I usually use for push mowers. Do you guys think two people could load a splitter like this onto the back of a truck for a longer transport?

I was die hard Honda or Kawasaki engine but my 30 ton TSC splitter has a 9.5 hp kohler that’s been alright. I’m not a kohler fan but it was available. It’s split stuff that stalled my buddy’s 27 ton Troy built with a 190cc Honda. I think my kohler is a 340cc. It’s a a lot faster than my buddy’s splitter but mostly that’s the pump. Looking back I’d buy the northstar 37 ton with the big Honda and log lift.

Yeah definitely not a fan of modern Kohler engines. However, I heard the Command line was a exception to this. Sort of the same when I bought my Ferris. I really wanted to get into the Vanguard line but you have to move up several models to get it. Now I think they put the Vanguard sticker on anything. Something else that I noticed about the Kohlers is that they have a considerably less cycle time than the Honda's as well.

My two cents worth:
I bought a Tractor Supply 25 ton splitter (limited choices) about a year and a half ago, as my shoulders decided splitting with a maul became too difficult. Later that year, the price rose about $350+, same specs. engine etc. ( I was late (old) to the game, or I would have bought an Iron and Oak with a Honda engine) Mine has a Kohler motor, no complaints, had great reviews. I did make a log catcher as the store-bought version was light weight and not large enough.
Like the OP said, there are used ones out there on CL etc. I looked locally, most were either beat up or almost the same price as new. My thought process is to maintain and clean it well, when I've had enough , sell it for a good price and re-coup much of my investment.
Prior, I would also rent one from a local nearby company. The only problem with renting is you're under the gun to finish and return it within 8 hours. They charge about $80 a day, decent price. Nice thing about your own, it's at your disposal 24/7, with no time restrictions What I do is keep track of the hours I use mine , divide by $80/ per day to get total days used, then subtract from the units cost to justify the purchase.

So your used $1300 one sounds decent. The seller knows it's value, he may or may not be negotiable on price.
Hope this helps, good luck

Several years ago I had several large trees cut down, too large for me. Mostly Oak, Cherry & some pine. After a couple weekends of trying to manually split I bought a 27ton Champion splitter from HD. 0% 2 year financing. Bought it for $1,100 in 2018 and it's worth every penny. don't know how many logs I split.

80-log_splitter_9ca6e2ec7dec843ac17978853b1cf9936f21d146.jpg

80-img_1820_6d8d6eb2b49befe3d501c53cd72c89152400b349.jpg

Around here, it's not worth buying a used splitter, they're just priced too close to new. It's like Honda 2000w generators. I'm not paying $950 for a used one, when they're $1200 new.

Not worth building one, either. I priced that out a couple years back, and was up to the cost of a new splitter, just in hydraulics and the motor. That was before adding steel, wheels, or picking up a tape measure and soapstone. I was hoping to build a 240v electric powered splitter, as I only split here at home near the shop, and I REALLY didn't want to deal with maintaining another gas engine, but the cost just wasn't worth it.

If you're not in a hurry for a splitter, maybe keep your eyes open and see if a fantastic deal comes around, or if someone you know is letting one go. I'd pay $950 for a used splitter if I know it's been maintained and cared for. There's a Champion 34T nearish by going for $1200, new they're $2000, has one season of use on it. If I needed a splitter, I'd probably roll the dice on that one.

Y'all will laugh at me for this, but a few years back I bought a 5 ton electric splitter. I was skeptical, but as I said, I REALLY didn't want to deal with another gas engine, and was willing to roll the dice on $350 to try it. It split 7+ cords, and only failed to split less than 10 pieces of wood. Very nice to put in ear buds and split wood while listening to an audiobook or podcast. Also nice to be splitting wood inside the shop, while rain is being blown sideways outside. No, it's not going to handle a 4 foot round, but I try to avoid that stuff if possible too.

I also have plenty of saws, and ready access to a buddy's 37 ton splitter, any time I want it. That seems to be the best set up. Don't have a splitter yourself, have a buddy with a splitter.

Several years ago I had several large trees cut down, too large for me. Mostly Oak, Cherry & some pine. After a couple weekends of trying to manually split I bought a 27ton Champion splitter from HD. 0% 2 year financing. Bought it for $1,100 in 2018 and it's worth every penny. don't know how many logs I split.

80-log_splitter_9ca6e2ec7dec843ac17978853b1cf9936f21d146.jpg

80-img_1820_6d8d6eb2b49befe3d501c53cd72c89152400b349.jpg

I was just looking at that and their 34 ton at HD an hour ago. I won't buy one until after I move next year, but I'll either grab one of these or the Countyline from TSC. HD has the generous .mil discount which helps.

It's either that or i go whole hog and drop $15K on something industrial like. I doubt I'll do that.

I've been splitting by hand, but I'm certainly not getting any younger or healthier.

2 guys are not pushing it up ramps unless you have a hill working in your favor. If it’s like my 30T with full beam construction. That sucker is heavy.
Thank you, this was actually pretty important information to me. Because there is no way I am hauling it behind me for over an hour. This will also help me too. We live on the Shenandoah river so there are a lot of hills around where I live lol. I bought a two stage snow blower one year and unloaded it on one of my hills. I will make certain I ask whoever I buy one off of if there are any hills near by.

I've been splitting by hand, but I'm certainly not getting any younger or healthier.

Tell me about it. I am only 33 but I have done a lot of splitting by hand and was not taught how to properly swing an age or hit a wedge at first. I still make costly mistakes but I learned from YouTube how to "let the tool do the work". It has definitely made it a lot easier on me. I just have some huge pieces of this cherry tree and some from my neighbor.

Anyway the question remains, would you guys ever consider renting your log splitter or offering your services to someone that needs wood split? I am sort of against renting anything because of how people treat stuff. I always thought about starting a little rental business with a zero turn that I repaired or something. However, as many of you know people just treat your equipment like crap. They will rent a zero turn you put a lot of work into so they can brush hog a log that has not been mowed in five years or worse drop the deck down so low they are mowing dirt.

Splitters ARE high and HEAVY don't attempt a ramp load.
Go ahead hate me, paid 500 for that 28 ton.
This one works well once you get her started, but ongoing maintenance can get kinda pricey.
View attachment 1018762
If you won't be splitting a lot every year? https://www.harborfreight.com/lawn-...plitters/20-ton-212cc-log-splitter-61594.html

So this is the one that I meant I was very interested in. Because it is convenient and definitely faster. Having that said, I realized you are going to lose the ability to split wood vertically, which is important to me with some of the logs I will be splitting with it right now even. So you mean you bought the one I mentioned for $500? I am sure if I offered him $1,000 he would take it but I do believe that is still a steep price for a used log splitter. The Kohler equivalent they are selling now is $2,099 on the website. He will probably sell it just because it has the Hona GC190 on it.

I won't buy one until after I move next year,

I know moving it is a pain, but don't wait if you can help it. Prices on everything are going up, fast. Depending on how far you're moving, and what your capabilities are, it may well be worth the PITA to save the $$$$.

Back