Buying a Wood Splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
didh you say lathe? FML... drools in three different languages...
Yep...I started out with a 7x12 bench lathe. I quickly found the limits of what I could do with that and ended up getting a good deal on this 12x36 from a friend.

I was very fortunate to get this deal, the tooling alone is close to what I paid for it. Everyone looks at how expensive lathes are, but the tooling is the other expensive part.

I do want to get a mill in the future, but I'll have to make some room for that. For now, I actually do quite a bit of stuff on the lathe...you don't know how much you can use one until you have it. I mostly work on saw cylinders with it.

20221011_114159.jpg

Yep...I started out with a 7x12 bench lathe. I quickly found the limits of what I could do with that and ended up getting a good deal on this 12x36 from a friend.

I was very fortunate to get this deal, the tooling alone is close to what I paid for it. Everyone looks at how expensive lathes are, but the tooling is the other expensive part.

I do want to get a mill in the future, but I'll have to make some room for that. For now, I actually do quite a bit of stuff on the lathe...you don't know how much you can use one until you have it. I mostly work on saw cylinders with it.

View attachment 1023292
I have been using saws since I was a kid, But I have just started working on saws since I am semi retired now. I mostly use my lathes for doing threading and chambering work, And muzzle brake threading and making tooling for doing Gunsmith work, I have been doing gunsmithing work as a side job since the 90's I used to do it for the gun shops and pawn shops where I used to live, I just do my own work now since I compete in Long Range matches. But I have been watching tons of videos on saw porting and machining the bottom of the cyilnders down and raising the squish band up. I may get into that too? I don't know I have enough stuff going on all the time to keep me pretty busy.

Thats a nice little lathe by the way, I have a 12x36 Taiwan Lathe that I have been very happy with that's actually very accurate, And then I have a Kent USA 13x40 Lathe that I do my barrel work on, Also a great lathe. But like you said, I have way more in tooling than both of my lathes put together!

I have been using saws since I was a kid, But I have just started working on saws since I am semi retired now. I mostly use my lathes for doing threading and chambering work, And muzzle brake threading and making tooling for doing Gunsmith work, I have been doing gunsmithing work as a side job since the 90's I used to do it for the gun shops and pawn shops where I used to live, I just do my own work now since I compete in Long Range matches. But I have been watching tons of videos on saw porting and machining the bottom of the cyilnders down and raising the squish band up. I may get into that too? I don't know I have enough stuff going on all the time to keep me pretty busy.

Thats a nice little lathe by the way, I have a 12x36 Taiwan Lathe that I have been very happy with that's actually very accurate, And then I have a Kent USA 13x40 Lathe that I do my barrel work on, Also a great lathe. But like you said, I have way more in tooling than both of my lathes put together!

Mine's a Grizzly, so it's a Taiwanese lathe as well, I like it as far as I know...I'm no machinist. It's the "gunsmith" version as well, so it has the spiders in the spindle and comes with a couple of different follower rests.

Long range always looked interesting, but I've got too many hobbies to go and pick up another one. I used to be into shotgun sports, I used to be a competitive clay shooter. I went too seriously into it and ended up quitting it once it became like a job.

The saw machining/porting is very fun...I enjoy the problem solving aspect of it. It's also a relaxing hobby amongst many non-relaxing hobbies I'm into...it's to me what fishing is to most people. The actual machine work is really easy IMO, it's the port work that's the most difficult to learn. I'm pretty satisfied with some of the worksaws that I can build now, now I'm just trying things like different piston swaps in order to work around the limitations on stock piston+cylinder combos.

I don't see a name plate on your lathe But I'm Pretty sure it's a Grizzly Machine? Is there a small spider chuck with 4 bolts at the end of the thru hole bore at the left rear of the lathe? If it has one, That machine was built and sold as a Gunsmith lathe.

Edit: Now that I made the pic bigger I see it is a Grizzly Gunsmith lathe.

I am not that noble, my father maybe but I, no. I would like to think he rubbed off on me a little but my father was always a more generous person than myself. Anyway I started mowing the neighbors lawn when I was 15, I am now 33. It quickly turned into a business because of the hard working ethic my father passed onto me. I started out on his little Craftsman riding tractor and quickly upgraded to a Craftsman zero turn that could have actually been a worse machine. However, after stepping up to the Ferris there is no going back on that. It holds up much, much better, you can mow much faster on it and be comfortable while doing it. Never turning back. Even if I stop mowing other peoples lawns I will always have a commercial unit like this one to do my own.

Yes, this will be my first diesel engine though. I was told to get it. That it had a Shibaura diesel that is nearly indestructible and no electronics to cause further complications. It would be nice if I could find a loader for it though. I was also told that if I could find a loader for it I would pay an arm and a leg. Especially since I cannot find a third party manufacturer.
Shibaura's are very common in the Miura peninsula area. you see ones that are friggin ancient as in 1950's and earlier that are all ate up by the salt air corrosion that's typical in this area and yet the engines, mission, and axle are all still tight but the fenders and hoods will be totally gone from rust...

So how do you protect from the elements? Do you cover it, is it sitting under an awning etc? Sorry if you posted a picture or something that tells the story. This thread has gotten quite long, which is awesome for me by the way.
It sits outside, other then the possibility of kinda tucking it under the eve of the woodshed, it gets no cover. Actually where it's sitting in that picture is where it's been since I finished the "this year" log pile that was in front of the house. It will sit at about that spot till the next year pile is finished. We'll hopefully I have splitter 2.0 built for this spring.

View attachment 1023292
Never realize how much you miss a lathe and mill till you dont have one at your fingertips anymore. Lots of fringe benefits working at a diesel engine machine shop. I miss the old Bridgeport daily. Not so much their big lathe, but they had a half worn out bench lathe that had a dozen different chucks and about any fixture and tooling you could imagine. No idea what make it was. It's was a dead handy machine for small stuff that I monkey with.

I had the chance to get a 5 axis german made cnc mill with all the fittings, step blocks, jig blocks cutters to include flutes, fly cutter and channel cutting bits, precision offset blocks everything. It came from a shop on the base and went up to the DRMO auction. the person that bought it got the whole kit and kaboodle for about 1.8 million yen or about 15kUSD. if that setup was not worth 100K USD I am a monkey's uncle.
It and its attendant tool boxes that house the cutters and jig blocks etc would take up half of my shop. that and I would need 480 three phase, and divorce papers from my wife.... :(

It sits outside, other then the possibility of kinda tucking it under the eve of the woodshed, it gets no cover. Actually where it's sitting in that picture is where it's been since I finished the "this year" log pile that was in front of the house. It will sit at about that spot till the next year pile is finished. We'll hopefully I have splitter 2.0 built for this spring.

Never realize how much you miss a lathe and mill till you dont have one at your fingertips anymore. Lots of fringe benefits working at a diesel engine machine shop. I miss the old Bridgeport daily. Not so much their big lathe, but they had a half worn out bench lathe that had a dozen different chucks and about any fixture and tooling you could imagine. No idea what make it was. It's was a dead handy machine for small stuff that I monkey with.
Probably an old Southbend lathe? A friend of mine has an antique Southbend bench lathe, they seem to be the most common. It's a really cool looking machine...back then, even the tools had style.

Most of the stuff I do now, I could still do on my bench lathe. Things like the saw cylinders are doable on the bench lathe, but much easier on a larger unit. I did an 066 cylinder on the bench lathe and I was at the limits of what I could do, as far as the workpiece not hitting the carriage/turret.

The other big deal with this lathe, is just the power. On my little Chinese/Taiwanese 7x12, I couldn't take very big cuts without it triggering the overload protection on the lathe.

My neighbor is giving away his Ford 1500 series along with a bunch of other stuff. It is kind of scaring me to be honest. The guys has been sick for a long time and he is trying to give me a lot of his stuff and not sure how to go about it. Right now he wants to give me his old tractor and a trailer for nothing in return. I want the trailer more than the tractor to be honest because I would have more use for it. I have been mowing his lawn now for many years. I was thinking if I get the trailer and it is in nice shape I can give him a little something for it, especially if he has the title.

The other neighbor is an engineer and told me the tractor is leaking fuel on one of the cylinders or something but you really cannot go wrong with free I guess. It does not really have any implements with it. I also checked out aftermarket companies that make loaders and the two that I checked said they did not have or make one to fit the Ford 1500 series tractor. I think it is a 1520. I know for a fact he has not had it running in many years and been sitting out in the elements for a really long time now.
I would take the tractor if you have room to store it. Is this the tractor? Maybe this information will help your search for a loader.

https://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/2/5/250-ford-1500.html
https://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/005/9/2/5927-ford-1520.html

Probably an old Southbend lathe? A friend of mine has an antique Southbend bench lathe, they seem to be the most common. It's a really cool looking machine...back then, even the tools had style.

Most of the stuff I do now, I could still do on my bench lathe. Things like the saw cylinders are doable on the bench lathe, but much easier on a larger unit. I did an 066 cylinder on the bench lathe and I was at the limits of what I could do, as far as the workpiece not hitting the carriage/turret.

The other big deal with this lathe, is just the power. On my little Chinese/Taiwanese 7x12, I couldn't take very big cuts without it triggering the overload protection on the lathe.
My first Lathe was a Southbend 13 I believe it was made in the 30's. It was a good old lathe but not suited to gun work as the spindle bores are small and there was too much going on in the back of the lathe to use a spider chuck. I had to do chambering using the steady rest instead of going through the spindle like I do now, Other than that it was still a very capable lathe.

I would take the tractor if you have room to store it. Is this the tractor? Maybe this information will help your search for a loader.

https://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/2/5/250-ford-1500.html
https://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/005/9/2/5927-ford-1520.html

So I do not have room to store it. I have one decent sized shed (16x20) I believe and it is maxed out. I keep a snow blower and my Ferris in there full time. I have been wanting to build a large shed to store a lot of equipment for awhile now. I would like something big enough for a few mowers, Ventrac (one day) and attachments. Now that lumber is finally beginning to come down I might start something. Next problem is there is a big @$$ stump where I want this structure to go. Probably going to end up building a pole barn or something.

No idea on the brand or model. It had back gears, could cut threads, forward or reverse. The back gears you physically had to change a setting and swap a belt from one gear set to another. Wish I had a picture of it. I abused it quite a lot. It would hold a piston out of a 5.9L cummins with no issues. Used to de-lip and cut the tops down for high boost applications.

No idea on the brand or model. It had back gears, could cut threads, forward or reverse. The back gears you physically had to change a setting and swap a belt from one gear set to another. Wish I had a picture of it. I abused it quite a lot. It would hold a piston out of a 5.9L cummins with no issues. Used to de-lip and cut the tops down for high boost applications.
Yeah Mine had a lever that engaged the back gear and the at the front of the head there was a knurled knob that you would either screw in or unscrew to disengage the pulley for the back gears. I think thats the way it was it's been a long time since I had that lathe, It was a South Bend. It had a leather drive belt and you would pull a lever to loosen the belt and you could slide it over the different sized diameter pulleys to change the speeds.

Yeah Mine had a lever that engaged the back gear and the at the front of the head there was a knurled knob that you would either screw in or unscrew to disengage the pulley for the back gears. I think thats the way it was it's been a long time since I had that lathe, It was a South Bend. It had a leather drive belt and you would pull a lever to loosen the belt and you could slide it over the different sized diameter pulleys to change the speeds.
I was looking at some pictures on the web of South bend lathes and I think your correct. Found a picture of a 10" x 20" and it looks darn close to the one the shop had. Seems this one has guards where the one at the shop didn't over where you changed the belt over. And the forward/reverse switch wasn't sticking up like the picture, but pretty much the same thing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221013-220505_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20221013-220505_Samsung Internet.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
My neighbor is giving away his Ford 1500 series along with a bunch of other stuff. It is kind of scaring me to be honest. The guys has been sick for a long time and he is trying to give me a lot of his stuff and not sure how to go about it. Right now he wants to give me his old tractor and a trailer for nothing in return. I want the trailer more than the tractor to be honest because I would have more use for it. I have been mowing his lawn now for many years. I was thinking if I get the trailer and it is in nice shape I can give him a little something for it, especially if he has the title.

The other neighbor is an engineer and told me the tractor is leaking fuel on one of the cylinders or something but you really cannot go wrong with free I guess. It does not really have any implements with it. I also checked out aftermarket companies that make loaders and the two that I checked said they did not have or make one to fit the Ford 1500 series tractor. I think it is a 1520. I know for a fact he has not had it running in many years and been sitting out in the elements for a really long time now.
As for the tractor, definitely get it, but plan on getting a loader for it also. Look for a Ford 770A or 770B, preferably the B as they go on and come off easier. The 1500, 1510, and 1520 were good little machines. As I recall the 1020 series (1520, 1720, 1920) were made from 86 to 89. Towards the end, they wore a New Holland name plate. Common wear parts are still available from NH dealers. The engines are good to at least 3000 hrs.

There are 3 week points on these tractors. The first is the head. The most common death of these tractors is a cracked head after around 3000 hours. Keep the filter screen on the radiator cleaned off, and your antifreeze topped off, and check your oil frequently. FWIW, my machine has spent its entire life outdoors and it leaks engine and hydraulic oil pretty bad, but it serves my needs very well.

Another week point is the bolts that hold the engine to the frame. The engine block is cast, and the bolts don't like to stay torqued. If they come loose, they will quickly wear the internal threads on the block. I was able to put inserts in mine and then used lock tight to keep them in. I think I used one of the green formulations, but don't recall for sure. Best bet is to keep them tight to begin with.

If it has power steering, the 3rd week point is the hydraulic system where the hydraulic pump connects to the diverter valve for the power steering. If the engine bolts come loose and start to strip, you'll replace the orings in this connection about ever 8 hrs of use (ask me how I know). This is because the pump is mounted to the engine and the valve is mounted to the frame. Relative motion between the two abrades the orings rather quickly. Replacing the orings takes about 30 min, but is a bit of a pain in the rear. Installing inserts/helicoils had quadrupled the life of the orings.

Lastly, while not really a week point, the suction filter on the hydraulic system does like to clog up. In the winter it becomes a real problem. Not a big deal since you can easily get them at NAPA, and they are super easy to change. If/when you add a loader, if it gets to where it runs really slow, change your filter.

Another watch out is the rims. People used to use Calcium Chloride in them for ballast, and it eats the rims which are expensive to replace. If the rims are good, and you want ballast in the tire, load them with washer fluid, or rimgard/beet juice. Rims are pretty expensive which means moving from turf to ag tires, or the other way around can be an expensive upgrade since they don't use the same wheels. I had turf tires and it cost me $1,200 to buy a full set of heavily used Ag tires and wheels, and have them shipped to Indiana from Texas. 2/3 of that price was the shipping.

This may sound like a lot of headaches, but its not. It's just the way it goes with older machinery. Heck, it goes this way with new machinery if you don't take care of it. IMHO, new machinery is a real pain to deal with because of all the EPA regs they've been forced to meet. This comes with electronic fuel injection, and sensors that can fail. These old diesels are all mechanical which makes them a lot more reliable. Over all mechanical diesel is super simple because it has no ignition system, and no electronics of any kind are required to get the machine to run. Just air, atomized fuel, and compression. To shut these machines down, you literally push the throttle in so far that it stops the flow of fuel. If the glow plugs work, your golden. If the glow plugs don't work, a quick shot of either into the intake (above the battery) will get it running even in temps below zero. DON'T USE EITHER AND GLOWPLUGS together. Main thing with any diesel is to not run it out of fuel. On top of being hard on the fuel pump and injectors, purging the air out is a slow and tedious process. Get impatient and you'll burn the starter up. Go too slow, and you'll drain the battery before you get all the air out.

If you're wondering what the machines are worth, take a look on tractorhouse.com. You should be able to get a decent idea from there. Mine is a 4wd model, but the 4wd doesn't work. Previous owner was a young guy who had acquired it with the purchase of a small horse farm. He didn't know how the machine worked and had the 3ph control lever in its "Aux" position, but the machine doesn't have an auxiliary line hooked up so it was deadheading. His young wife wanted it gone so I got it for $2K. One of the few good deals I've found that didn't require more work than it was worth. If mine ever dies on me, I'll have no moral issues coughing up $10K or more for a slightly more modern replacement. That's how useful the machine has become for me. I'm in my late 40s and still in decent shape, but I'm sure that my machine has saved me one or more trips to the ER in the last 5 years, and is no doubt helping me to postpone or avoid additional corrective surgeries that would have otherwise been required in the future.

Sorry, I know this is way off topic of the original post, but can't let this poor fellow pass up on something like this :)

. .

I was looking at some pictures on the web of South bend lathes and I think your correct. Found a picture of a 10" x 20" and it looks darn close to the one the shop had. Seems this one has guards where the one at the shop didn't over where you changed the belt over. And the forward/reverse switch wasn't sticking up like the picture, but pretty much the same thing.
Yep, Mine looked and operated exactly the same way as the pictured one except mine was quite a bit larger and had a 5 foot bed. It's sitting outside getting more and more ruined every year, But the bearings in the head were worn and the bed-ways were becoming Sow-Bellied and were no longer accurate, I sold enough parts and accessories off it to pay for the one I replaced it with. Pretty much everything from the bed-ways up is gone.

It was a good machine for what it was and it was the one I learned on.

As for the tractor, definitely get it, but plan on getting a loader for it also. Look for a Ford 770A or 770B, preferably the B as they go on and come off easier. The 1500, 1510, and 1520 were good little machines. As I recall the 1020 series (1520, 1720, 1920) were made from 86 to 89. Towards the end, they wore a New Holland name plate. Common wear parts are still available from NH dealers. The engines are good to at least 3000 hrs.

There are 3 week points on these tractors. The first is the head. The most common death of these tractors is a cracked head after around 3000 hours. Keep the filter screen on the radiator cleaned off, and your antifreeze topped off, and check your oil frequently. FWIW, my machine has spent its entire life outdoors and it leaks engine and hydraulic oil pretty bad, but it serves my needs very well.

Another week point is the bolts that hold the engine to the frame. The engine block is cast, and the bolts don't like to stay torqued. If they come loose, they will quickly wear the internal threads on the block. I was able to put inserts in mine and then used lock tight to keep them in. I think I used one of the green formulations, but don't recall for sure. Best bet is to keep them tight to begin with.

If it has power steering, the 3rd week point is the hydraulic system where the hydraulic pump connects to the diverter valve for the power steering. If the engine bolts come loose and start to strip, you'll replace the orings in this connection about ever 8 hrs of use (ask me how I know). This is because the pump is mounted to the engine and the valve is mounted to the frame. Relative motion between the two abrades the orings rather quickly. Replacing the orings takes about 30 min, but is a bit of a pain in the rear. Installing inserts/helicoils had quadrupled the life of the orings.

Lastly, while not really a week point, the suction filter on the hydraulic system does like to clog up. In the winter it becomes a real problem. Not a big deal since you can easily get them at NAPA, and they are super easy to change. If/when you add a loader, if it gets to where it runs really slow, change your filter.

Another watch out is the rims. People used to use Calcium Chloride in them for ballast, and it eats the rims which are expensive to replace. If the rims are good, and you want ballast in the tire, load them with washer fluid, or rimgard/beet juice. Rims are pretty expensive which means moving from turf to ag tires, or the other way around can be an expensive upgrade since they don't use the same wheels. I had turf tires and it cost me $1,200 to buy a full set of heavily used Ag tires and wheels, and have them shipped to Indiana from Texas. 2/3 of that price was the shipping.

This may sound like a lot of headaches, but its not. It's just the way it goes with older machinery. Heck, it goes this way with new machinery if you don't take care of it. IMHO, new machinery is a real pain to deal with because of all the EPA regs they've been forced to meet. This comes with electronic fuel injection, and sensors that can fail. These old diesels are all mechanical which makes them a lot more reliable. Over all mechanical diesel is super simple because it has no ignition system, and no electronics of any kind are required to get the machine to run. Just air, atomized fuel, and compression. To shut these machines down, you literally push the throttle in so far that it stops the flow of fuel. If the glow plugs work, your golden. If the glow plugs don't work, a quick shot of either into the intake (above the battery) will get it running even in temps below zero. DON'T USE EITHER AND GLOWPLUGS together. Main thing with any diesel is to not run it out of fuel. On top of being hard on the fuel pump and injectors, purging the air out is a slow and tedious process. Get impatient and you'll burn the starter up. Go too slow, and you'll drain the battery before you get all the air out.

If you're wondering what the machines are worth, take a look on tractorhouse.com. You should be able to get a decent idea from there. Mine is a 4wd model, but the 4wd doesn't work. Previous owner was a young guy who had acquired it with the purchase of a small horse farm. He didn't know how the machine worked and had the 3ph control lever in its "Aux" position, but the machine doesn't have an auxiliary line hooked up so it was deadheading. His young wife wanted it gone so I got it for $2K. One of the few good deals I've found that didn't require more work than it was worth. If mine ever dies on me, I'll have no moral issues coughing up $10K or more for a slightly more modern replacement. That's how useful the machine has become for me. I'm in my late 40s and still in decent shape, but I'm sure that my machine has saved me one or more trips to the ER in the last 5 years, and is no doubt helping me to postpone or avoid additional corrective surgeries that would have otherwise been required in the future.

Sorry, I know this is way off topic of the original post, but can't let this poor fellow pass up on something like this :)

. .
Thank you for all the great information. I just bought a County Line log splitter, pictures to come soon. However, it is taking my last free spot right now. So I am going to have to find a place to put it.

Hexa Fox, I see you are in "Charles Town" Is that the same as Charleston? I believe it was Charleston that I used to pick up a plastic called "Zytel" from the Dupont plant there a long time ago when I was driving Truck.

No sir! Charles Town (where I am) is located on the Eastern Panhandle. I am about five minutes from Virginia and an hour and a half from D.C. People often make the horrible mistake and get them confused. My father used to work at the local casino and you cannot imagine the stories he would tell. For example, one time a car full of women came in and were asking for directions for a wedding and scared they were going to be late. Well they were definitely going to be late because my father had to inform them they were in Charles Town and not Charleston.

Anyway, now that my little story is over. I could not be happier with the County Line 25 Ton Log Splitter. It is an amazing piece of equipment. I was at Tractor Supply today and they only had the new County Line or that used Oregon. The Oregon just keeps getting worse. The lady there today said she would take an additional $150 off it. So a discount of $350 all together but like I said there were too many red flags. Today I took off the crankcase dipstick and oil came pouring out before I even got it out. Also the hydraulic filter on the Oregon is an "internal" one. I am personally sick of internal filters. I closely inspected it today and the finish on the Oregon really is inferior to the County Line. This may not be the case for all but if you read the reviews people say similar things.

Also the first thing I did today was take an adjustable wrench and check as many of the fittings as I could. I may go over them again too. So I have some concerns I was hoping to share with you gentlemen.

1.) The hydraulic cylinder seems to get very hot. Too hot to touch, is that normal?

2.) I took out the oil dipstick on this Kohler as well and it started dripping a little. Does that automatically mean it is overfilled? It was no where near as bad as the Oregon unit.

3.) I have already covered the vent cap, should I make certain it is uncovered while in use?

4.) Anyone want to talk about maintenance? Like do I need to lube the wheel bearings somehow? I have not seen a single zerk fitting anywhere.

This thing is so cool. I am literally scared of running out of wood to split around here now. I can already see and agree with what people have said about towing it. You can get it up to 45 MPH on perfect rode conditions. I think one user pointed out when you are going over bumpy roads you need to slow to a crawl and this is true. When you are on a rough road you can tell by the banging it makes that it is in need of a suspension.

I can also see the dangers already. When the wedge comes into contact with wood but does not split it right away the wood binds against it and the metal plate. The wood is literally under all that pressure. I have a couple pieces 'explode' on me today and can hopefully learn what to look out for.

Back