Buying a Wood Splitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1.) They get pretty frickin' hot, if you start to see flames, I'd start worrying.
2.)Machine should be setting fairly level, and there should be graduated markings on the dipstick. Mine usually drips when I check it, cuz I usually forget to make sure it's level.
3.)I would make sure the vent is open when running, the vent will puke out fluid if you tow them really fast over really bumpy ground.
4.)I suppose a guy could grease them like he would on a riding mower. When the wheels fall off mine and I'm dragging the beam through the mud, I'll probably have a look.

All b.s. aside, congrats on your purchase, it's a good machine that will serve you well with minimal care. Make sure to shut your fuel off while transporting or you are guaranteed a crankcase full of raw gas. Keep excess debris off the muffler, it can catch fire if it's really dry. If you didn't get the bolt on cradle, go back and buy one or build your own if you're handy. Keep a junky screwdriver handy to dig the bark and wood fibers out of the beam rails, it gets packed in there pretty tight sometimes.

You will get used to using it pretty quick, And it will be one of those things you wish you would have bought sooner.

As far as the oil goes, When I got my pressure washer with the Kohler Engine, The oil that came with it was like water! I threw that in the trash and put good 4 stroke oil in it. Once it was broke in, I switched it out for Full synthetic 4 stroke oil, Which I put in everything I own including Synthetic 2 stroke mix! Don't use Full synthetic oil until it's broken in or the rings won't seat, Four stroke oil really is that good, It's so good that you won't get the small amount of wear required to seat the rings. Car oils used to say "Do not use this oil until the engine has 5000 miles on it" I don't know if it still says that anymore but it was in the 90's when I switched over to it when I remember the bottles having that warning.

As far as the cylinder getting hot, Yes it will get pretty hot, That's one thing I hate about factory Log splitters, They put the smallest reservoir they think they can get away with. I made a 15 gallon tank for mine and it helps tremendously with keeping the oil and the hydraulic components cooler and doesn't let the fluid break down as quickly.

I would weld a trailer axle under it for 2 reasons, 1: Get the splitter up to where you aren't killing your back, 2: you can tow it on the freeway, I have towed mine 80 MPH on Utah freeways, That's the speed limit here. It will still bounce a little but not bad, At least not mine anyway. I run a little bit lower pressure in the tires to give it a little cushion.

Sounds like your well in hand. One suggestion I have is to give that wedge a bit of an edge. Doesn't have to cut hairs, but a nice slicing action and let the wide part of the wedge rip the log apart the rest of the way. Safer with it cutting rather then exploding. I have my edge down to about a 1/8". Powered right through anything.

Ditto on the cradle. Just get/make one.

Let the oil the engine came with in it for a while. I really want to say 25 hours or something around there change it. But the owners manual should say something about the break in period. Then swap out for a good oil.

I like the trailer axle idea.
Have fun, and be safe!

1.) They get pretty frickin' hot, if you start to see flames, I'd start worrying.
2.)Machine should be setting fairly level, and there should be graduated markings on the dipstick. Mine usually drips when I check it, cuz I usually forget to make sure it's level.
3.)I would make sure the vent is open when running, the vent will puke out fluid if you tow them really fast over really bumpy ground.
4.)I suppose a guy could grease them like he would on a riding mower. When the wheels fall off mine and I'm dragging the beam through the mud, I'll probably have a look.

All b.s. aside, congrats on your purchase, it's a good machine that will serve you well with minimal care. Make sure to shut your fuel off while transporting or you are guaranteed a crankcase full of raw gas. Keep excess debris off the muffler, it can catch fire if it's really dry. If you didn't get the bolt on cradle, go back and buy one or build your own if you're handy. Keep a junky screwdriver handy to dig the bark and wood fibers out of the beam rails, it gets packed in there pretty tight sometimes.

Thanks gentlemen, I really appreciate all the feedback!

Can you do that? As in the wedge is totally solid and can have material removed? So you just take an angle grinder down the side to get an edge?
My two splitters have wedges with ground edges. I put those sharp edges on them to help cut any rounds or fibers that would otherwise tear or shear apart.

So my initial impression of the Kohler SH 6.5 is that I am impressed. It starts easily and sounds relatively good. It also looks nice and well built. However, there is a slight hum to the engine. It is hard to describe but it sounds like it is coming from somewhere else but becomes apparent after awhile that it is coming from this engine. Don't think I have ever heard anything quite like it, might describe it better as a whistle. I always wear hearing protection now, even while using smaller walk behind push mowers. So could be that but still strange to me.

So I bought a 4 way wedge from Tractor Supply with the splitter as well. Honestly, I know some warned me but I am thinking about trying to return it. Because it makes the logs harder to handle (may change with a log catcher), the wings are not long enough to completely separate the wood into four pieces and it does seem like it could be heavier. I find some logs are perfect to be rolled 180 degrees after being split to get split into four pieces all together and works out pretty good.

So the fuel capacity looks like 0.85 gallons. So should I shut off the fuel for storage or just treat the fuel for storage and make certain some of the treated fuel gets into the carburetor? Again sorry if you guys mentioned this before. I think a couple of you did. I have been going back through and reading but there is a lot here lol. It is fine because it is the kind of stuff I enjoy reading. I haven't had to weld since high school and to be honest I do not have any extra room for anything else. I need to get rid of some of the junk we have collected over the years.

I agree, Your best bet would be to install a fuel shut off if it doesn't already have one. If sitting long term let the carb run dry. My dad did this on all his equipment he's ever owned, he's got 50-60 year old engines with original carbs. I think it's the best thing you can do for any engine that has a carb.

So my initial impression of the Kohler SH 6.5 is that I am impressed. It starts easily and sounds relatively good. It also looks nice and well built. However, there is a slight hum to the engine. It is hard to describe but it sounds like it is coming from somewhere else but becomes apparent after awhile that it is coming from this engine. Don't think I have ever heard anything quite like it, might describe it better as a whistle. I always wear hearing protection now, even while using smaller walk behind push mowers. So could be that but still strange to me.

So I bought a 4 way wedge from Tractor Supply with the splitter as well. Honestly, I know some warned me but I am thinking about trying to return it. Because it makes the logs harder to handle (may change with a log catcher), the wings are not long enough to completely separate the wood into four pieces and it does seem like it could be heavier. I find some logs are perfect to be rolled 180 degrees after being split to get split into four pieces all together and works out pretty good.

So the fuel capacity looks like 0.85 gallons. So should I shut off the fuel for storage or just treat the fuel for storage and make certain some of the treated fuel gets into the carburetor? Again sorry if you guys mentioned this before. I think a couple of you did. I have been going back through and reading but there is a lot here lol. It is fine because it is the kind of stuff I enjoy reading. I haven't had to weld since high school and to be honest I do not have any extra room for anything else. I need to get rid of some of the junk we have collected over the years.
Good to hear you are happy with it! We have put about 2 tanks through the Oregon 30ton so far and I am happy with it overall! I say "we" because i have actually gotten the wife using it. No chance she was going to be willing or able to split by hand, and I welcome the help. She has no issues starting the kohler which is definitely a good sign so far.

My only gripe is that wood gets stuck at the end between the rails and the beam. There are holes for stuff to fall out of, but there is a space that still gets clogged pretty easily. I looked briefly at the Champion model at HD and it seemed to be the same way, so maybe this is normal? I am going to try and keep it cleaned out mostly to stop moisture from getting trapped in there and rusting it away.

I am curious about the 4-way as well, it is good to read the info on here about using one. I haven't bought one, but it is a tempting idea at times.

Attachments

• PXL_20221007_173218978.jpg
    PXL_20221007_173218978.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
We bought a Champion 34 ton splitter last year and am throughly impressed with it. We have run 2 trees threw it with no issues at all. It has a Chinese engine and looks like a clone of a Honda. I guess the key to any engine is good maintenance.
Glad to hear about the 4-way splitter working ok for you. I was tempted to try, but have not yet. So maybe this year will try. Thanks for posting.

4 way wedges that arnt adjustable are worthless unless you have that perfect size log, then you still have the few rounds you just want to half, but your taking a sliver off the top and making 2 big pieces and 2 splinters. At least the style your using is slip on and not bolt on like how I made mine for my current splitter.

These little Kohler's come with a shut-off.
I will keep that in mind. So shut the gas off, let the engine starve the carburetor out of fuel, then treat what is left in the tank or drain?

Also I started another thread about my chimney in case anyone wants to stop by. Been posting pictures and stuff there too.
https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/wood-stove-and-chimney-cleaning.363351/
Found me a Ready Whip cap that seems to work pretty well right now if I do not say for myself.

Attachments

• Image (5).jpeg
    Image (5).jpeg
    7.4 MB · Views: 2
  • Image (6).jpeg
    Image (6).jpeg
    10.6 MB · Views: 1

I've never agreed with the run it out of fuel theory for off-season storage. I like to make sure that last tank of gas before winter lay-up is Rec-fuel with a dose of Stabil, and I shut it off with the carb bowl full of fuel.

Many manufacturers suggest running the carb empty if sitting more than 30-60 days. This information is found in your owners manual....
Here is one of many examples from Honda.

For long term storage, avoid fuel deterioration problems by draining the fuel tank and carburetor. See below. See our fuel recommendations page for more information on preventing fuel related issues.

https://engines.honda.com/support-and-service/storage-and-transportation/gc-gs-gx-gxv
Honda considers long term storage anything longer than 30 days. More reading here. You will find similar info from most any other reputable small engine manufacturer.

https://engines.honda.com/support-and-service/fuel-recommendations#fueltype
I don't necessarily go so far as to drain the tank. I do use a good marine fuel stabilizer and of course, E0 gas, always. Shut it off, run it dry, and drain the fuel bowl. (Still running original carbs @ 2k hrs on my mower doing this method).
My reasoning for not draining the tank is, any varnish or solids formed by the separation of the gas should be caught by the filter before it hits the carb. If the fuel has sat in the carb for the last 6 months it's got nowhere to go but through the jet.

Mine has a weird noise also. Like @blades said,possibly the pump. Hasn't blown up after about a 100 cords. Knock on wood I'm going out to split now.

Back