• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Buying Residential White Oak Logs (and other types) around Western MA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james92790

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, I'm really not sure where to put this, the Trading Post or Commercial Tree Care and Climbing, but I'm looking for all of those hard to find tree services who I can't find with a google search of my area, so I thought arboristsite would be a good place to post this.

I've got a portable sawmill business in western MA, and we have always bought logs from tree services and homeowners, not loggers, because some of the best logs go to firewood; nobody wants to mess with potentially metal filled logs. We definitely don't mind the metal, Wood-Mizer blades do well enough to get through a few nails before you need to change blades.

I've been getting large orders for white oak, to the point where I need to contact more than the few tree services I currently deal with. I'm avoiding buying from loggers because I know that thousands of bdft of logs gets cut down every day, just to get chipped up, turned to firewood, or rot.

So what I'm looking for is:
White oak, 5ft and up clear-ish, I'm not picky on how clear "clear" is
White oak, 7ft and up, knotty, crooked, small, half rotten, whatever
Black walnut, any quality/size
Interesting logs (butternut, sycamore, mulberry, apple, box elder, etc)
We currently pay about $.20-.30/bdft for hardwood logs on site, and $.25-$.38/bdft delivered. Totally negotiable and depends on type. We can also trade milling in exchange for logs. And visible or hidden metal/ceramic insulators/rocks isn't an issue.

So if you're a tree service within about 3-4 hours from me, or a homeowner with a few logs not too far away, feel free to let me know what you've got for logs.

Thanks,
James Clarke

And if this is in the wrong place or breaks any forum rules, sorry and please delete/move it or let me know. I did my best to make this not advertising, but please let me know if I crossed that line. I'm sure it's not normal for someone to be looking to buy potentially metal filled logs from arborists, so I'm hoping even the mods are like "where does this go?" haha.

Hi Gary, normally I'd bring my mill out with a flatbed truck and cut the logs right there at your place. It's a lot easier to truck lumber than logs. And how much do you want per bdft for the walnut and white oak?

I just had someone trying to sell me a Black Walnut log out in Amherst MA. Supposedly 30ft long and a little less than 3ft in diameter. PM me for number.

Hi, I'm really not sure where to put this, the Trading Post or Commercial Tree Care and Climbing, but I'm looking for all of those hard to find tree services who I can't find with a google search of my area, so I thought arboristsite would be a good place to post this.

I've got a portable sawmill business in western MA, and we have always bought logs from tree services and homeowners, not loggers, because some of the best logs go to firewood; nobody wants to mess with potentially metal filled logs. We definitely don't mind the metal, Wood-Mizer blades do well enough to get through a few nails before you need to change blades.

I've been getting large orders for white oak, to the point where I need to contact more than the few tree services I currently deal with. I'm avoiding buying from loggers because I know that thousands of bdft of logs gets cut down every day, just to get chipped up, turned to firewood, or rot.

We currently pay about $.20-.30/bdft for hardwood logs on site, and $.25-$.38/bdft delivered. Totally negotiable and depends on type. We can also trade milling in exchange for logs. And visible or hidden metal/ceramic insulators/rocks isn't an issue.

So if you're a tree service within about 3-4 hours from me, or a homeowner with a few logs not too far away, feel free to let me know what you've got for logs.

Thanks,
James Clarke

And if this is in the wrong place or breaks any forum rules, sorry and please delete/move it or let me know. I did my best to make this not advertising, but please let me know if I crossed that line. I'm sure it's not normal for someone to be looking to buy potentially metal filled logs from arborists, so I'm hoping even the mods are like "where does this go?" haha.

Thanks,
James Clarke

Hi James,
Couldn't find a way to "pm" you but feel free to email me at [email protected]
I'm in Becket and have several species you may be interested in. I'm about to cut down a black cherry that's starting to have issues. Very straight for about 25' and 14 to 20+ inches. Let me know if you would like to come over and take a look around for others you may need.

Latest posts

Back