Cable line run - root damage cleaning up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenfoot

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi there been a long time, just bought my dream home with a couple acres and lots of amazing trees. So think I'll be spending more time here getting edumacated...

Just had a broadband coax line pulled into the property, almost 400ft, with one of those walk-behind line droppers, kind of like a ditch witch but without the chain blade, drops the line in while it pulls feeder across the ground, seems they were doing around 4-6in deep most of the way. I asked them to find middle ground between trees and they were mostly able to do that but were definitely in the drip line for a few. A couple big roots were damaged and I tried to clean them up, two mature Sycamores.

First Sycamore: is about 25ft from the trunk, almost at the drip line. I cut away the shredded damage on a 3in thick root. Anything else I should do here?

Second Sycamore: about 19ft from the trunk, under the drip line. This root was kind of complicated, I think it might be 2 roots that grafted together where you see the cut. Kind of an X and the top line was cut completely (2in diameter root) and damaged in two places, removed that, and cut away the shredded bits on top where you see the face of the cut that's about 4in on the long edge (cut a little more than I meant to but went for clean edges). Bottom root is 4in thick and mostly intact except for some nicks and the cut out on top. Any notes on this?

I know that smaller roots were surely cut along the way, but I'm hoping that at that depth we're talking about a low percentage of the root mass, plus this damage - one big root on each tree. What do you think?

Attachments

• Sycamore1a.jpeg
    Sycamore1a.jpeg
    811.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Sycamore2a.jpeg
    Sycamore2a.jpeg
    600.9 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for the quick feedback, that's an interesting analogy, I wouldn't have thought about it that way but it makes sense. There's so much out there saying how critical the roots are in a way people don't talk about limbs.

Back