CAD - Personal Self Analysis/Therapy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffdog1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This post is probably only relevant to people with more than 10 saws so stop reading now if you love your MS??? Stihl.

Exactly how did I come to have a shed full of chainsaws? Well I have had to ask myself this question in recent months and thought it might be helpful to break this down to assist others whos constant purchasing of chainsaws that clearly don't need is causing some sort of marital stress!
For me it started when I had a small tree I needed to cut down in the front yard. Usually I would just use the family Dolmar 115i that has served us extremely well for the last 20+ years, but this was not available to me. I thought I would just check on line what might be available to me locally and low and behold a ps-411 in good condition came up for 80 dollars almost immediately. I reasoned that this would be a good little saw to have around the house and to take camping and had to be better than what I could get at a box store - it was and is all of those things and made short work of the job I had to do and a few others I found. I decided that Dolmars were fantastic saws and very underrated/underappreciated in Australia and so when I spied a larger one in the classifieds a couple of weeks later for 50 dollars I had to have that - turned out to be a 120si and I was onto a real winner of a saw. next thing I know my old next door neighbour who I had cut and removed a tree for gives me his original and unused for 15 years ProMac60 Mcculloch and suddenly I am a bit of a fan of old Mac's
Of course when a Dolmar 118 came up it seemed foolish not to grab that so I did, the seller also had an old Mcculloch 250 and offered that for 50 so I took it to give the PM60 company.
A Dolmar 114 came up around the corner from my dads place so I grabbed this, and then I clicked on ebay one day and a Shindaiwa 488 came up for 50 dollars and this seemed to be too good to pass up so I grabbed that with a view to an immediate resell, which after a clean and tune occurred for about 6 times what I had paid so now I could justify buying cheap ones to sell to fund the ones I really liked.
Poulan 5500 followed and then a ProMac850 which also came with another 120si in pieces. Mcculloch 740 and then a local ProMac570 which turned out to be about as good as any of the saws to actually use.
Friend told me he had a broken Husqvarna 268 in the shed and investigation revealed a scored piston. He had been told it was scrap but I managed to clean the cylinder up put a new piston in and she went like a champ and suddenly I think I am the best chainsaw mechanic in the world which leads to me buying a Husqvarna 61 and 266 that need a little work and rebuilding these.
The most expensive saw I got was a Stihl 048AV Super which I was sure I would double my money on but I only made 80 bucks and this was a bit of a failure.
In the space of a week I got a lovely PM Canadien 330 and a Mac15 for nothing both is beautiful condition.
All of the above has occurred in the space of 6 months. At the rate I am going I am going to have about 300 chainsaws in the next few years - I love them and working on them is them is incredibly relaxing to me. The trouble is that there are about 4 saws a day that I am interested in or are offered to me or I have a hunch could be there. I could buy another 20 today without any issues for almost no money - but that would be just stupid. While I love chainsaws, my wife crushing my testicles forcefully is a real possibility if I am not careful. This has required me to come up with a "Personal Chainsaw Manifesto" to provide myself guidance. It goes like this:

1. 10 saws is a good number and seeking to have the best 10 saws that you can have is a good goal. The number 10 is not set in stone but it is a good ball park figure to be working to.
2. While there are hundreds of good saws, you really like Dolmars and Mccullochs so aim to keep those and turn over other saws that you come across.
3. You can make money of Husqvarna's so see these as a way of funding other purchases and maybe keep one (372 will do) as a working saw to save wear and tear on you 120si's.
4. The condition of having saws in the shed are that they are clean and if parts are boxed and labeled to avoid having a pile of poo spilling everywhere.
5. If people need parts that you have to get a saw running give them to them - a running saw beats a pile of parts any day.
6. Aim to have all saws that you own running well and being usable if required even if you never really do. Saws should be working tools and even if they are semi retired they should be up for a day cutting wood at any time.
7. Make it clear to all of your mates that they are to consult you before they ever even consider the purchase of a saw. You have a responsibility to educate that a good saw will last a lifetime and is not a disposable item - get em something good and teach them how to look after it.
8. Accumulate and share knowledge of the older saws - the days of a 25 year saw are coming to an end like every other product, there is history and heritage that needs to be protected and information needs to be spread.

So that's my story - I am pretty under control with the CAD part of things now but I do feel that the process of thinking about some guiding principles has been valuable. For anyone else with a whole lot of saws I would be interested in your general approach to this and whether you work to a system or just freestyle it?
IMG_2271.JPG

Very well said! I have only been doing this for about 2-3 months now and I am just kinda freestyling it at the moment, right now I love all of these old saws equally but I am only just now beginning to see a focus of which saws I really want, those two being Homelites and Poulans. But even though I found the saws I like the most my CAD wills me to collect at least 1 or 2 saws from all of the greats, along with the odd old school Sears, Castor, etc.

That's the trouble though, you start seeing saws you like around every corner. I find the late 50's early 60's pioneer and PM saws to be the most aesthetically pleasing but I realise that I would have about 30 big honking saws clogging up the place if I grabbed every one that came up. I will grab an old homelite at some point to go through it and fill the gap in my current knowledge.

If you like the 50's-60's stuff then you might like the Homelite C series saws, they are a lot of fun!

Attachments

• IMG_4550.JPG
    IMG_4550.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 19
It would take me a while to get everything in order but it started like this:

I signed up on here in 2009 to get advice on a new saw. At the time I was doing all my cutting with my L65 and as as father of three (at the time) young children I felt I should at least have a chain brake on my primary saw. Sold three smaller and or/older saws and bought a 2165.

Moved out of state the next year and spent two and a half years working on the road so did next to no cutting.

Got active on here again in 2013 when I was resettled and cutting wood again. Reason I remembered this place was because the old forum software sent you a birthday email every year.

Got a 450 to complement the fleet that year started cutting more. Then bought a cabin and sold most of my saws to raise cash.

Fast forward to two more years of listening to you guys talk about CAD and I only had two running saws and two fixer uppers. Then it happened. Bought a 2186. Then a fellow member gave me a D-44. Then I bought a 562. Then another member gave me a SEZ. I don't really recall what happened after that.

I've honestly thought about selling a few saws but the used market sure isn't very good right now and after sinking too much into a few saws I'm not about to lose money when I don't need to get rid of them.

Cad is hard to define--I had a 17 year old Sears/poulan no anti vibe. Bought it new. It could sit with gas in it for 6 years and always started. FINALLY fuel lines rotted off(17 years) So I went to replace them--Looked for pics, info, asked people how these 3 lines are routed-tried every which a way after months Got good info and 1 day said today it will run or I am gonna toss it--It ran like its old self.Hey that was sorta fun!!! Bought a locked up 7-19c Homelite at a swap meet-never did free it up but it looked cool with 1/2 chain and all mag case-bought another with compression -----------Now its Homelite xl-12 bow saws,mac 10-10 and 250's. poulan gear drives,echo 590,stihl,husky, Old sears gear drives--------- Really like getting them up and running and cutting wood.

I bought my first(and only) new saw, a husky 340, about 10 years ago. That was sufficient until i found a basket case husky 261 on craigslistfor $25. Then inherited my dads 272xp and 575xp...then bought a couple 1127 stihl projects...then found a nice 288xp locally.....then bought/sold/built several 262s...ive been close but havent bought any saws in several months. Been buying amd selling parts more lately. Been spending more time fixing saws for a few friends in the tree service biz.

Really, will this be archived for all to see :oops:.
First saw was given to me after giving my BIL a saw for Christmas, it was his old one a cheap home owner special.
Second was my first orange saw a 142 husky aka a poulan in an orange wrapper.
Third was my first pro saw. After sadly realizing that I had been hoodwinked on the 142 I was not about to be taken again for $150(the saw cut firewood for 2 years also lol). Thats when I got my 346xp ne:chainsaw:.
It's been a blur of orange, red, and creamsicle since then and I couldn't possibly list them all, I don't think I could remember/list all of them I have today lol.
Principle number one; it takes a little money to save a few dollars on a gas bill.
Principle number two; it takes a lot of money to save a lot on a gas bill.
Principle number three; it takes even more money to not have a gas bill.
Principle number four; it takes even more money to not have a gas bill and to make a couple bucks selling a few saws.
Principle number five; if you don't have a lot of money you'd better stay off AS:sucks:.

I have a system, but to explain it to most it would sound like a lot of free-styling and a little bit of system, and that is pretty true to form.

To be honest I am getting better.....

I have changed my rules a little since I first posted this to include;
- Just buy dolmars - forget the Macs
- Any dolmar with a 1 at the start of the model designation is worth a punt as long as....
- Its under 200 dollars AUS and is close to running.
- Unless its a 166 in which case it is alright to pay whatever it takes.
- A 143 is nearly as good as a 166 but costs 20% OF ITS BIG BROTHER. Get these.
- A 120si/6800 is as good a saw as has ever been made. Get these.
- 116i and 6000i have same chassis as 120i. Get these and turn into 120si
- Dolamr ct's are nearly as desirable as 166's in the long term. Get these.
- PS 400's are good saws for camping/light work. Get them and give to mates.
- 123/133's are currently underrated. Get these and turn into 143's
- Get every dolmar parts saw you ever come across.

See simple!

I can agree on all the OP's points except the first.

I'm at 60-80, but every so often an oddity crops up I can't do without.

I didn't have a Shindaiwa so I just had to get one.
5791ecc71c3d2d8d1747714dff716552.jpg

Before that it was a Solo that scratched my itch.
6ccbc7375a241538b9dc5abf351971c3.jpg

What started my bent for the unusual was a Skilsaw 1645/ PM 340.

Everyone 'needs' a Partner.
83b1a7dc08843a60015775b9c56e06d9.jpg

Not to leave out an Itialian Stallion Olympyk.
a387382de13a080782532d18b8ac2f50.jpg

So, ten is no where near enuff.

Had my own shop in OK back in the '80s, was a STIHL dealer. Then managed a large Power Equipment shop in FL in the '90s, sold STIHL there too, then took this job at STIHL in VB, and had 3 saws I brought with me. My old XL12 I built out of 3 saws when I had my shop, an 030 I restored for fun, and an 020 I fixed up to cut with. I had been working here at STIHL when Fred Whyte our president, came over with a PowerMac6 that somebody gave him for some reason and asked me to check it over. I got it running and it sat around for 6 months and Fred was over one day and I asked him when he was going to get it. He told me he really didn't want it and that I could have it. I remembered working on lots of them back in OK so I took it. That got me to thinking about all the other saws I had worked on back then so I started looking for a Poulan XXV and Homey Super 2. Found them. That was 14 years ago and now I have over 350 saws. So I blame Fred. Of course I can't brag much since my friend Wayne, a STIHL TM in WA has over 3000 in his collection. It is fun to visit his place. And I have a Gold Tech in OH that has over 4000. SO I am not trying to catch up with them, but it is in fact fun to look for saws you want, and even more fun when people who know you collect just bring them to you. Last week I got a J C Penney chain saw, first I had ever seen. It is a Poulan in orange and black. Looks cool sitting next the the Montgomery Wards (Remington) and all the Craftsman saws. And tractor saws are fun too, such as the John Deere models (Echo, Efco) I have, along with a Ford (O&R) and an Allis Chalmers (Poulan) and now I am to twins. I have 2 Mac BP1's and a 1948 Mercury Twin, and the Echo twin in John Deere yellow. Just need a Solo now.
And for me the Holy Grail was a Dolmar Wankel, and I found one in a barn in WI last year, brand new never had fuel in it.
So Griffdog, thanks for starting this thread and sharing. We all collect for different reasons and it is interesting to me to know that I share this affliction with others!
Also, when I taught auto tech in FL I had 7 cars so my wife is happy with me just collecting saws now. I took her to the aviation museum in Pungo a few years ago. That guy collects airplanes. So it could be worse.

I think there is a lot of truth to the fact that for someone who is mechanical, saws are a cheap and space efficient alternative to cars and motorcycles. I reached a point where I realised I liked working on bikes as much as riding them. Chainsaws were a good way to have something to fiddle with that was a practical usable piece of machinery. Of course the more you learn the more you realise that every saw can be fixed if you are keen and most older saws are interesting. That's when you are hooked. Good saws, old saws, interesting saws and fixable saws are around every corner. When people start dropping them at your door you are in trouble.......

So how many saws do you have to own to consider it CAD? and just so I have this correct, what exactly does CAD stand for?
I had a poulan 2150 for a while, came with a house I bought. Then I moved into our family farm house where I found my grandfather's old Mac 10-10 with no bar/chain and not running. I fiddled with it for awhile and replaced the fuel lines and filter, rebuilt the carb, did some cleaning and she fired right up. Bought a b/c and been using ever since. Then found another Mac (model escapes me at the moment) a small one. Haven't messed with it much yet. Then my father bought me a Chinese repop saw for Christmas back in December and now a guy I work with has promised me a saw with extra bars and chains as soon as he cleans out his shed. So at that point my total will be at 5. Do I have CAD? Should I make an appointment to see my doctor? (Maybe he has a saw he wants to get rid of as well) darn, there I go again .........
Oh and my uncle has one for me also. The muffler bolts keep backing out on him so he bought a new one. Then I'll be at 6.....:happybanana:

Various definitions of CAD but "Chainsaw Addiction Disorder" kind of explains it best. Basically CAD is when you have more chainsaws than you could ever really justify needing to the point where the average person on the street has trouble understanding what the hell you are doing. Now you could have 10 chainsaws and not have CAD if you really needed these - like you own a tree felling business. And I believe you could have 50 chainsaws in a nice collection of specific saws as a serious and discerning collector and not have CAD.
You have CAD however when you find yourself looking at classifieds for saws more than 5 times a day (tick). When you buy saws that you were previously not interested in on the basis that you might become interested in them (tick). When you buy saws for more than what you thought they were worth on the basis that you think they might be worth more than that some day (tick). When you decide that you need to sell some saws but get cold feet procrastinating and in that time buy another 5 saws (tick). That you buy any parts saw you see on the basis that one day you might need those parts for a saw that you do not currently own. (tick)
A dead giveaway is when you spend a day setting up your shed/workshop with an area for you "good" display saws. An area for parts saws and an area for parts and this lasts about a week before they are all mixed up again. This is usually because someone on this site wanted to know if a later model 268 flywheel would fit on a early 266 and because you have both saws you feel compelled to pull them apart just to find out...........

Back