California contractors license work experience

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shquatch

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I’m working on my contractors application here in California and am feeling some stress that my work experience might not be accepted. I have a bachelors degree from a university in plant science, and during that time I got various part time experience doing pruning and landscaping (2 years). I also learned to climb during that time and when I graduated I became a climbing arborist for a major company. I quit that job just a couple of months ago after working for them for a year. I’ve since been working on my own and am now looking to get my contractors/business license. From my understanding, you need either four years of experience or a college degree and two years of experience. I have those 2+ years but I just saw in the application something about how work experience and education cannot overlap. Am I screwed? Do I need to go back to working for a company for another year or does anyone have experience with how these applications are reviewed and think that I still have a shot at approval? Any experience/suggestions would be highly appreciated

I’m working on my contractors application here in California and am feeling some stress that my work experience might not be accepted. I have a bachelors degree from a university in plant science, and during that time I got various part time experience doing pruning and landscaping (2 years). I also learned to climb during that time and when I graduated I became a climbing arborist for a major company. I quit that job just a couple of months ago after working for them for a year. I’ve since been working on my own and am now looking to get my contractors/business license. From my understanding, you need either four years of experience or a college degree and two years of experience. I have those 2+ years but I just saw in the application something about how work experience and education cannot overlap. Am I screwed? Do I need to go back to working for a company for another year or does anyone have experience with how these applications are reviewed and think that I still have a shot at approval? Any experience/suggestions would be highly appreciated

From application to getting my license it took about 10 months for me back in 2010. They will give you 2 years of experience for the degree- and some of my work experience did overlap. I ended up getting a c-27 (landscaping) instead of the D-49 because it was easier to prove with my experience background.

I recall that the guy from CSLB who evaluated my application was very helpful and gave me the benefit of the doubt. I had to send in tons of proposals and invoices to prove self employment. It was a fairly arduous process but well worth it.

From application to getting my license it took about 10 months for me back in 2010. They will give you 2 years of experience for the degree- and some of my work experience did overlap. I ended up getting a c-27 (landscaping) instead of the D-49 because it was easier to prove with my experience background.

I recall that the guy from CSLB who evaluated my application was very helpful and gave me the benefit of the doubt. I had to send in tons of proposals and invoices to prove self employment. It was a fairly arduous process but well worth it.
Thanks for the info. My work while at university was more landscaping based as well. Does the c27 license still allow you to work at heights and do all the duties a climbing arborist is responsible for?

Thanks for the info. My work while at university was more landscaping based as well. Does the c27 license still allow you to work at heights and do all the duties a climbing arborist is responsible for?
I ran a business there for 5-6 years without a problem. I think I had one residential customer not hire me because I did not have a d49. Workers comp was also easy to get- and cheaper- as long as you classify your workers properly. When someone is aloft everyone needs to be classified as tree pruning (about 50% of payroll) but when everyone was cleaning up on the ground or commuting to the job they can be considered landscapers (a little over 20%). I saved many thousands of dollars this way.

Realistically the c-27 test includes everything the d49 has. So the law test is the same. The c-27 just adds the practical side of landscaping. It was not difficult to pass.

Back