Can I be honest, selling saws here a PITA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Casawfan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
A bit of a rant.
I like this site, I really do. Cutting wood, time outdoors and saws are all great. but selling a saw here is a real pain in the ass. Don’t let my new profile and low post count throw anyone off, my old one through FB was corrupted so made a new one.

The seller doesn’t have a picture of the piston and/or a compression test?
Theyre a snake trying to rip people off.
2.) it costs more than $20 to ship a saw coast to coast and anyone asking for more is not out to get you.

3.) “how much would it be to ship to X?, that sounds like a lot my brothers, nephews, ex said it should only be $15”

4.) The ad requested PayPal FF, if you want the protection add the 3%. The buyer sends it normally w/o 3% fee and upon making them aware the buyer doesn’t remedy it.

I’ve bought and sold parts from FB saw forums from people who were BSing and someone mentioned “hey I got one of those laying around, you interested?” Easiest transactions ever.

Sold a parts saw on here for $40 (after they chewed me down of course) probably $150 worth of parts. The shipping ended up being $33 sent the buyer a tracking and let them know. He sent me $5 more lol
That’s a lot of legwork on my part for $12.

Charity is one thing, when it comes time to compensation someone for their work don’t go offering like $15/hr for hard labor.

everything here costs more why would I spend way more effort and headache for less money trying to appease someone in BFE south or east coast who wants to pay their cheap ( or other parts of the country) prices ?

sorry and rant over.

Don't blame you one bit. If they can't get a pic of the P&C or answer a few questions, I don't go further.
Best advice I can give is set your price and hold firm. I don't ask for F&F on paypal, 3% just isn't worth it to me.
Shipping charges are so high anymore but some do try to get way too much. I bought a saw from a guy an hour away and he wanted $90 shipping on top of the saw price that was about 10x too high. What really gets me is the ridiculous prices people ask on ebay.

Don't blame you one bit. If they can't get a pic of the P&C or answer a few questions, I don't go further.
Best advice I can give is set your price and hold firm. I don't ask for F&F on paypal, 3% just isn't worth it to me.
Shipping charges are so high anymore but some do try to get way too much. I bought a saw from a guy an hour away and he wanted $90 shipping on top of the saw price that was about 10x too high. What really gets me is the ridiculous prices people ask on ebay.
Yes sir, that instance does sound like excessive shipping. We all want to protect ourselves and be diligent, but sometimes its all I can do lol

You’re right, but on the other hand it kinda comes with the territory. It‘s a group of saw snobs. They know how to find these these things for cheap, and they know what they’re looking for.

What’s annoying is being in the middle. For instance, I have a husky 455 that’s getting THE WORKS. My first “real” saw, personally. Need it to go to a new owner and I want it to be happy and make somebody happy. If I were being completely rational, I’d have eBay’d it for parts and let somebody be surprised that it actually ran okay (also, I like a project). So basically a new saw except for the main big parts handle, crankcase…and it has a Farmertech cylinder from the saw shop I bought it from. It’s had a perfect track record with that cylinder, but are folks here going to want that?

If you have a mint 200 series Husky, on the other hand, this is definitely the place to sell that.

A bit of a rant.
I like this site, I really do. Cutting wood, time outdoors and saws are all great. but selling a saw here is a real pain in the ass. Don’t let my new profile and low post count throw anyone off, my old one through FB was corrupted so made a new one.

The seller doesn’t have a picture of the piston and/or a compression test?
Theyre a snake trying to rip people off.
2.) it costs more than $20 to ship a saw coast to coast and anyone asking for more is not out to get you.

3.) “how much would it be to ship to X?, that sounds like a lot my brothers, nephews, ex said it should only be $15”

4.) The ad requested PayPal FF, if you want the protection add the 3%. The buyer sends it normally w/o 3% fee and upon making them aware the buyer doesn’t remedy it.

I’ve bought and sold parts from FB saw forums from people who were BSing and someone mentioned “hey I got one of those laying around, you interested?” Easiest transactions ever.

Sold a parts saw on here for $40 (after they jew’d me down of course) probably $150 worth of parts. The shipping ended up being $33 sent the buyer a tracking and let them know. He sent me $5 more lol
That’s a lot of legwork on my part for $12.

Charity is one thing, when it comes time to compensation someone for their work don’t go offering like $15/hr for hard labor.

everything here costs more why would I spend way more effort and headache for less money trying to appease someone in BFE south or east coast who wants to pay their cheap ( or other parts of the country) prices ?

sorry and rant over.
Stick to your guns and get what you are asking if that's what you want. don't bother with anyone who is too jerky.
I never had any problem selling saws on here.

I bought a saw here but old school style, package was sent my way, a thank you card with funds his way. Under 100$ though. I would say based on what I have seen and my experience is to sell or buy from the guys you talk with most on the site and have a good relationship with. Average saw shipment price is around 25$ thats cheaper than driving an hour each way or more to go look at a saw to buy. I also bought a saw from a fb remington group page (160$). I paid the extra for the paypal buyer protection. Why fret over an extra 5 or 10$ to protect yourself. Now eBay on the other hand that's super risky for saw purchases.

if you have the capacity to set up a account on pirateship.com you can send a 12x12x12 20lb box cost to coast for under 20 bucks typically, using ups. ebay purposely inflates shipping because their fee % taken includes the shipping as part of the number used making them more money off the backs of its buyers. Facebook groups are slam full of scammers now. So far 90% of people have been fair and kind on this site, some are looking to test or take advantage but thats the flavor of pie sometimes.

if you have the capacity to set up a account on pirateship.com you can send a 12x12x12 20lb box cost to coast for under 20 bucks typically, using ups. ebay purposely inflates shipping because their fee % taken includes the shipping as part of the number used making them more money off the backs of its buyers. Facebook groups are slam full of scammers now. So far 90% of people have been fair and kind on this site, some are looking to test or take advantage but thats the flavor of pie sometimes.
Nice tip man thanks I looked it up already looks good. Do you have to be a business? Is there a minimum requirement of shipping transactions?

Nice tip man thanks I looked it up already looks good. Do you have to be a business? Is there a minimum requirement of shipping transactions?
nope, you do not need to be a business and no minimums. You just need to be able to accurately weigh and measure your packages or it will charge you for lying LOL.

I'll be unaware....WTH is pirateship.com?

Thanks for the tip. Compared to PayPal shipping their UPS rates are way more discounted. USPS is similar. Going to try it.

I wish I could get things shipped that cheap I guess it depends on where you are shipping from and to. Heck I just ordered an alternator from Lincoln Nebraska box only weighs 13 lbs it's coming to pine City ny and it cost me 25 to ship it through ups and I have paid ups up to 100 to ship things before I have had way better luck with usps

Back