Can I be honest, selling saws here a PITA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you have the capacity to set up a account on pirateship.com you can send a 12x12x12 20lb box cost to coast for under 20 bucks typically, using ups. ebay purposely inflates shipping because their fee % taken includes the shipping as part of the number used making them more money off the backs of its buyers. Facebook groups are slam full of scammers now. So far 90% of people have been fair and kind on this site, some are looking to test or take advantage but thats the flavor of pie sometimes.
I used pirateship.com for the first time today… (thanks to reading about it in this thread)

Shipped a 28” echo guide bar to another member, package details: 4.5 lbs 32”x4.5”x.5” from Va to KS
UPS online and in store both quoted $23.60 for ground shipping.
Created a free account on pirateship.com, entered the same info and dimensions and ended up saving 36%. It was $15.14 to ship UPS Ground.
Even deeper discounts for overnight or 2nd day shipping. (60%-75% off)

For some items, shipping costs can certainly determine whether it’s even worthwhile to sell and ship vs only dealing locally. It’s
definitely nice having discounted options!

Reading and sharing info like this is one of the reasons I love this forum!

Neither have I, but Paypal bothers me somewhat. That company is having some problems. Not sure why Paypal tacks on an extra fee. Buyer can bypass that if the buyer trusts the seller and vise versa. Trust between buyer and seller means everything. Retailers selling merchandise have known that for a hundred years or more.
Basically, paypal tacks on the extra fee because they can, meaning they haven't been successfully sued yet..They shouldn't be allowed to tack on a shipping fee because they have nothing to do with the shipping..

Big rant
Tldr

Buying is easy in most places. Got the boot from favor buying place so maybe I'll spend some more here.

Selling local is still my thing. Selling from online forums it's something I don't do that often unless approached or like mentioned on page one, I skipped the rest 😱, someone chimes in and says, hey you need one or three of these or those? The seller needs to be as comfortable as the buyer in my eyes. Worrying about how things are going to be paid for, traded or otherwise worked out is the least of my concerns. Ebay sellers are easy but I rarely go there with so much available in other places. If I wanted to do a transaction more than likely you have already checked out and not on Fakebook or Craigslist although CL has better vetting imho. They will dump people who are skells.

Skell your new word of the day ;)

used in a sentence.
I bought a big Husky chainsaw from a guy who was full of excuses, delays , a skell up north who had to be badgered, six contacts from me in month, a month plus to ship my saw, twice. USPS returned it for leaking fuel and oil the first time. Wasn't sure it would ever come. Came the next month from Fedex. I paid FF to a stranger... last time for that. When it did get here half the stuff on it was trashed out. The seller was soon band from most of these forums.

Selling online is a whole nutter thang I may not be ready for through a forum considering I've been around them for well over a decade now. People start getting crazy talking about warranty and refunds on used parts or tools. No time here for baby sitting or sweating some minor details like I don't answer text messages 400,012 ****ing times a day. Relax, were all busy, right?

Most guys and gals get back to me within a week and I'm good with that. They got lives and businesses just like we do here so that keeps me from selling on forums. I have plenty to offer but some days your better off not to if your already busy, right?....

Latest posts

Back