Can I be honest, selling saws here a PITA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is anyone aware of the new tax reporting requirements with PayPal? Go look it up. I will not be accepting any more goods and services payments to PayPal. Don't trust me to pay with Friends and Family? Then you aint buying from me.
Anything over $600 per transaction? I did not see yet how they intend to separate personal vs small business though.

There's zero chance I can ship a mostly intact saw from here to the East for $25 or less, especially with handlebars. Sorry, not gonna happen. Maybe a climb saw that fits in a flat-rate box.

It cost another member here almost $10 to ship to me a single fuel line in a small bubble mailer from one end of the state to the other.

Just based on that I quit reading your post.

There's zero chance I can ship a mostly intact saw from here to the East for $25 or less, especially with handlebars. Sorry, not gonna happen. Maybe a climb saw that fits in a flat-rate box.

It cost another member here almost $10 to ship to me a single fuel line in a small bubble mailer from one end of the state to the other.

Just based on that I quit reading your post.
The stupid thing is that I can ship a saw from me to Chico (~6 hours) for $50 or I can ship that same saw to Colorado for $50. It does cost about $90 to ship a J-red 2094 (Husky 395 size) to Mass. So yeah, like @HumBurner says, it sucks that shipping is so high but it is not the seller’s fault and any complaints should be directed to UPS or FedEx.

Anything is better than fee-bay.
Actually, Ebay shipping is not bad compared to some other methods. Ebay actually negotiates pretty good discounts from most shippers... like 24% from Fedex Home Delivery. A lot of companies/shippers end up paying "rack rate" for shipping because they fail to negotiate better rates.

As with any shipping I always check the available options at the time of shipment. Also most saws will end up being DIM weighted so box size matters a LOT.

It would be interesting to compare Pirate Ship with Ebay.

Sold a parts saw on here for $40 (after they jew’d me down of course) probably $150 worth of parts. The shipping ended up being $33 sent the buyer a tracking and let them know. He sent me $5 more lol
That’s a lot of legwork on my part for $12.
I don't see why you would be upset with a buyer after agreeing to a price on the transaction. Maybe I'm misunderstanding your statements here, but that's what I'm getting.

If a seller sells something to me, we both agree on the price, and he didn't do his due diligence to figure out or know what shipping is going to be for that item, that's not my fault. I made that mistake once, I lost $20 on an item way back. I could have thrown the $400 item in the trash and came out ahead of that deal I agreed to. I didn't send the buyer a note asking for more money or complaining about the shipping...sorry, that's a seriously classless thing to do in my opinion. I ate the loss because it was my fault for being lazy and not checking shipping before agreeing on a price shipped. Learned from my mistake I did.

After that I either got a shipping quote to the buyers zip code before agreeing on a price OR sold the item plus actual shipping unless I knew it would fit in a flat rate box. Pain in the butt, however, it saved me money.

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but if a seller sent me a note asking me for more money after the agreed upon price for an item because they didn't figure out shipping, well, I seriously doubt I would be sending them ANY money. Unless we were friends or did a lot of deals before hand and something really weird happened. That guy gave you $5 he didn't have to, and you're still upset with him? I don't think you're the type of person that I want to be buying items from.

Imagine telling a customer that I would take their tree down for $400. Then after doing the tree and maybe some equipment breaks costing me more than expected, telling them, 'That was a lot of leg work for just $12 after expenses'. smh...I couldn't imagine the embarrassment I would feel doing that. I just wouldn't do it because it's not right. A deal is a deal, even if it doesn't work out well for me.

Is anyone aware of the new tax reporting requirements with PayPal? Go look it up. I will not be accepting any more goods and services payments to PayPal. Don't trust me to pay with Friends and Family? Then you aint buying from me.
Asking for F&F is not that simple any more either. I buy and sell a lot on various non-eBay selling sites. I’ve had times that after being the buyer AND paying with F&F, then months later PayPal wants to return my money to sort of “punish’ the seller for asking for a F&F payment (which doesn’t earn p/p their fee). Being the honest guy that I am, I have then resent the payment as a Goods & Services payment. I’m sure p/p doesn’t audit every transaction- but it’s definitely possible to have your funds (as the seller) disappear. I don’t know what the answer is, I’m told Zella is no fee, and non-disputable, but I have no experience with that- yet. Good luck—.

Asking for F&F is not that simple any more either. I buy and sell a lot on various non-eBay selling sites. I’ve had times that after being the buyer AND paying with F&F, then months later PayPal wants to return my money to sort of “punish’ the seller for asking for a F&F payment (which doesn’t earn p/p their fee). Being the honest guy that I am, I have then resent the payment as a Goods & Services payment. I’m sure p/p doesn’t audit every transaction- but it’s definitely possible to have your funds (as the seller) disappear. I don’t know what the answer is, I’m told Zella is no fee, and non-disputable, but I have no experience with that- yet. Good luck—.
Thanks for the heads up. Never heard of that but I really don't do that much with Paypal like that nowadays, so I probably never tipped the alarm.

Thanks for the heads up. Never heard of that but I really don't do that much with Paypal like that nowadays, so I probably never tipped the alarm.
Yeah man- unfortunately, it looks like everything concerning online/electronic payments will be tripping an alarm started 1/1/2022

Back