Can I save this cherry tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@dan063 Based on that last pic, I think your planting depth is fine.

How much rootball was there at planting time. Just a balled up tangled mess or was it from a pot?

I'll stop repeating myself this last time. Cut your leaders back to the nearest outward facing bud about a foot from that crotch.
It was not from a pot. So more of a tangled mess, but if I recall correctly there wasn't that much to get tangled.

That'll work, and if its gonna make it you just increased the odds. So that's a Lapins Cherry...no need to have a pollinator. Do you have any other cherry trees close by. Just curious to know if others in your area have success with them. When I was a kid, the old man neighbor behind us had a cherry that was yellow/red tinged and it was delicious, perfect for a pesky kid to climb. I was probably 7/8 years old and he'd come out of the house like a bullet when I got over there. Completely justified as I now see it, fruit raising is hard dedicated work.

(Minor pickiness here on my part: make sure your cuts at this point are angled rather than straight across, shears should be sharp so cuts are not ragged.)

The second pic has torn bark from where a big cut was made and the weight of the cut branch falling likely ripped the bark exposing the cambium we see. Cut that to the next bud.

That'll work, and if its gonna make it you just increased the odds. So that's a Lapins Cherry...no need to have a pollinator. Do you have any other cherry trees close by. Just curious to know if others in your area have success with them. When I was a kid, the old man neighbor behind us had a cherry that was yellow/red tinged and it was delicious, perfect for a pesky kid to climb. I was probably 7/8 years old and he'd come out of the house like a bullet when I got over there. Completely justified as I now see it, fruit raising is hard dedicated work.

(Minor pickiness here on my part: make sure your cuts at this point are angled rather than straight across, shears should be sharp so cuts are not ragged.)

The second pic has torn bark from where a big cut was made and the weight of the cut branch falling likely ripped the bark exposing the cambium we see. Cut that to the next bud.
I had a feeling I was going to get called out on those ragged cuts. I cleaned them up.

I have no other cherry trees — though there might be some wild ones hidden about. This is my third attempt at planting a Lapins. Was really hoping this would be my last.

Speaking of, if this tree is going to come back to life, when should I expect to see some signs? Put another way: How long until I should give up on it?

Thanks again for all of your help.

No problem, I hope it yields a positive result for you.

I would keep up the once a week watering (if you dont get appreciable rain for the week) for at least a month. Then you can assess how many of the buds begin to pop out. You may also see continued drying and shriveling of the wood with no latent bud break....then you'll know. At that point, you may only see suckers popping out from the rootstock. If those suckers are growing and the top is not...another negative sign that the Lapins variety up top isn't going to make it.

I asked about the other cherry trees to see about pollination experience you may have had. Since Lapins is a Self Pollinator it would make a good variety to have for myself as the two varieties I was given both of them required a pollinator. I wondering since both required a pollinator, that may be why these two have NOT set fruit and never held fruit for the guy I got them from.

I had a feeling I was going to get called out on those ragged cuts. I cleaned them up.

I have no other cherry trees — though there might be some wild ones hidden about. This is my third attempt at planting a Lapins. Was really hoping this would be my last.

Speaking of, if this tree is going to come back to life, when should I expect to see some signs? Put another way: How long until I should give up on it?

Thanks again for all of your help.
Just in case you hop back on, been awhile, just curious to know if your cherry tree made it.

Latest posts

Back