Can someone help me diagnose what it going wrong with my maple tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roondog

Reaction score
I have an Autumn Blaze Maple tree in my front yard and it still seems to be healthy leaf wise, but it is getting large cracks all over the trunk.
Some of the bark seems to be starting to fall off. We started noticing cracks in the bark in the spring of 2019 I believe and it has continued over this last winter and summer. It seems to be getting steadily worse. Can anyone give me a heads up from the attached pictures what could be causing this, and if there is anything that can be done to help the tree? Is this a normal thing for maple trees? I called two tree services in town this summer, but neither one came out to look at it. I really don't want to lose this tree, so any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Tim Rooney

Attachments

• TREE2.jpg
    TREE2.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 45
  • TREE1.jpg
    TREE1.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 44
It's an old injury (probably a couple of years). Just takes a couple of years for the bark to dry up and flake off. You can see the callus tissue forming along the live edge trying to close over the wound. Probably sunscald (think sunburn) injury, pretty common on thin barked trees like maples. Sometimes it will occur after transplanting due to the tree not being oriented the same way as it was in the nursery (north side to the north side). Doesn't seem to matter on some trees, an issue on others. Unfortunately there isn't anything you can do at this stage and it won't necessarily kill the tree. Ultimately it will lead to a pocket of decay since the wood is exposed for so long and structural issues down the road.

It's an old injury (probably a couple of years). Just takes a couple of years for the bark to dry up and flake off. You can see the callus tissue forming along the live edge trying to close over the wound. Probably sunscald (think sunburn) injury, pretty common on thin barked trees like maples. Sometimes it will occur after transplanting due to the tree not being oriented the same way as it was in the nursery (north side to the north side). Doesn't seem to matter on some trees, an issue on others. Unfortunately there isn't anything you can do at this stage and it won't necessarily kill the tree. Ultimately it will lead to a pocket of decay since the wood is exposed for so long and structural issues down the road.
Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question. I appreciate the information. I guess if there is nothing I can do, then I will just have to hope for the best.

Back