Can these oak trees be saved?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsayen

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all,

We have two large oak trees in yard that were likely shocked from the construction of our home two-three years ago. The contractors were careful around the base and I don't think we were as lucky as we hoped. I included a picture of both trees. The one on the right budded out this spring but the buds did not turn to leaves, the one on the left you can see has quite a few leaves but is missing some around the ends of the limbs.

Is there anything we can do to save both or one of these trees? Fertilizer? They get a fair amount of water between our spring rain and lake fed irrigation system (20 minutes a day in the morning, 4 days a week).

Thank you

Attachments

• 3ECC356A-DEF6-4BEB-A0B8-A3E2CCD8979C (1).jpg
    3ECC356A-DEF6-4BEB-A0B8-A3E2CCD8979C (1).jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 1
You use water from a lake in MI? How clean is it? Any chance of chemical pollutants in it?

Yes, very clean, no chemical pollutants

That lawn is gorgeous - looks like a shag carpet. Do you use fertilizer or herbicide on it?

We do fertilize a few times a year, in line with the seasons

How much of that area was excavated? Was the ground disturbed up to the tree trunks and then new grass seeded?

Topsoil was brought in and then sod on top of that. The entire lot was an undisturbed wooded lot, we cleared most of it to do the build, and added the gravel road behind that tree.

And, I've got to say it, those leaves look like herbicide damage to me. No kidding.
Did they by any chance spray the lot before construction began?

No.

Wish I could zoom in closer for a clearer image of the leaves.
View attachment 998094
I'm no expert. Just trying to help you solve a mystery.

I’ll post a better leaf pic. Thank you for the help.

Oaks aren't very tolerant of major root disturbance, and you did a lot of that with the construction. Roots extend further out than the dripline of the tree. The replacement of the forest soil and leaf litter with topsoil and sod may have been even worse for the feeder roots.

Latest posts

Back