Can this tree be saved

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewlong75

Reaction score
So I have a huge, probably over 100 year old oak tree on my property. I recently noticed a very large frost crack that is exposing a hollowed out portion of the trunk. I've had 4 tree services come out, 3 of them say the tree needs to come down now and asked for $5k to bring it down. The fourth service appeared much more knowledgeable about this and other trees on my property. His belief is that the tree can be saved, the tree has other similar scars from frost cracks that it has repaired itself. After looking online, I could not find any true professional arborists in my area that could be of help. I guess my question is can the tree be saved? Is there anything I should be doing to help the tree heal? There are some mushrooms growing around the tree, which I know is a bad sign...is there any maintenance I should be doing to help the tree repair itself or make it more healthy?

Attachments

• 20220511_141428.jpg
    20220511_141428.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220511_141420.jpg
    20220511_141420.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220511_141435.jpg
    20220511_141435.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
So I have a huge, probably over 100 year old oak tree on my property. I recently noticed a very large frost crack that is exposing a hollowed out portion of the trunk. I've had 4 tree services come out, 3 of them say the tree needs to come down now and asked for $5k to bring it down. The fourth service appeared much more knowledgeable about this and other trees on my property. His belief is that the tree can be saved, the tree has other similar scars from frost cracks that it has repaired itself. After looking online, I could not find any true professional arborists in my area that could be of help. I guess my question is can the tree be saved? Is there anything I should be doing to help the tree heal? There are some mushrooms growing around the tree, which I know is a bad sign...is there any maintenance I should be doing to help the tree repair itself or make it more healthy?
This tree should come done. I agree that a pro should do it.
https://extension.psu.edu/tree-diseases-that-create-hazards

Back