Can you help ID this tree?

INAGabriel

INAGabriel

Well snap a twig, Ailanthus breaks real easy and smells a bit like peanut butter.
Good pointers there with lone wolf speaking from experience. I’d only add that if the pith in the middle is pink, then it’s a Kentucky coffeetree (Gymnocladus dioicus). If it’s a stand alone tree (the only one that looks like it around) I’d be leaning more towards the coffeetree. Ailanthus will root sprout (part of its invasiveness) and you’d normally see a few more nearby.

Ikeholt

Ikeholt

ArboristSite Operative
Coffeetree has a doubly compound leaf. This tree is single compound. If not Ailanthus, it would have to be in the walnut or hickory family.

newforest

newforest

ArboristSite Operative
I can’t tell from those pics, looking only on my phone that I look at too much and thus gets harder to look at.

But just wanted to note that a friend of mine who gets paid to attack Tree of Heaven regularly suggests NOT cutting them at all but rather applying a strong basal bark treatment to the bottom of the stem. He says this will kill more of the root system and not stimulate as much sprouting as a cut stump treatment will.

Cutting without any treating at all will get you more root sprouts than even Black Locust would send up.

Latest posts