Can you identify this tree based on the roots?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike0702

Reaction score
Hello to everyone, i am trying to figure out what tree these roots are coming from i have a large royal poinciana tree in the back yard but these do not look like they are coming from it. The roots are very dense and almost create their own layer on top of the soil. I dug these up around my air conditioner as they started popping out of the ground right next to it. I want to get rid of them before they cause more problems under my house. Any recommendations for killing the roots or preventing them from growing would be helpful. 20210918_153937.jpg20210918_153941.jpg20210918_153952.jpg20210918_153947.jpg

Especially from the distance of an internet photo, probably none of us can identify your roots.

What can be said, however, is that they occur in a dense mat under your air conditioner because it's providing a steady drip of moisture that feeds those roots. If they're a problem (and they're probably not a serious threat), lay down something that will direct the falling moisture elsewhere. Starved of moisture, the roots will wither.

Back