Can't grow carrots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle1!

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I am not a pro gardener like some folks here. Living in Iowa I just till my ground, plant my seeds from packets in rows, water and keep the weed pressure down. For the last 3 to 4 years I can not get carrots to grow. Before that I would harvest 5 to 10 gal buckets worth.

Nothing else in the garden seems to have a problem except carrots. The only change is that I have been adding compost from a city compost site to my garden to help with soil structure/clay. Hmmm Carrots are my favorites out of the garden

assuming the seeds are fertile, sounds like only one variable: city compost! no seed germination at all? or won't bulb up? so set up test bed. made of soil and/or compost of dif source. that is what i would do. other than that in short-run would be to have soil tested! strange nothing else affected. since everything likes N-P-K, etc. hope u sort it out. i like garden fresh carrots...

1655739472740.png

I always seem to get dead carrot seeds, try sprouting in the little peat puck greenhouses they sell since they are pretty sterile. If I sprout seeds inside on the windowsill I tend to get 90+% germination across the board if seeds are healthy.
last fall i did 5 short rows of carrots. dif types. one had -0- germination... (wtf is with that, i thot!?) prob died inside. the germ. will further test them this season. keep better records! lol.... but i keep all carrots and all my other seeds in refer.... i have planted 24-year old lima seeds saved from the garden and they produced very well!

We only got a 1/4 stand of carrots this year from the early planted row and ZERO stand from a row planted a couple weeks later. Had trouble with ALL packaged seed this year. ( Govt. is paying seed producers to nuke seed so it wont grow! dont want us to grow our own food!)
:surprised3:

From my experience in Delaware they germinate slow as heck. Like to the point I was giving up on them. I’ve grown carrots for years. I’m no ace at it by any means.

image.jpg
Lousy picture but got a respectable stand. Looks like you’re probably a farmer going off the pioneer profile picture. So here we plant corn end of April. I like to start may1st. When I’m half done with my corn I plant carrots in my garden. It usually takes about a month before I ever see any. Makes it kinda tough for me to get them going. But yeah I plant them incredibly shallow Usually that time of year we have good moisture anyhow. Forever later I find baby carrots in the grass. Then weed em and they seem to go. I’d grab a soil sample out of that garden. Just to see if anything is going on

First time growing carrots in a raised bed. Mostly mushroom compost. Planted a row where my tomatoes shaded them all summer. Pulled last week. Someone said the extra toes were probably from soil too compact. Roasted them in the oven, had with cornbread and collards. Just harvested probably my last mess of collards. Cooked with bacon, garlic and chicken stock. Good, good, eating.
FB_IMG_1667597041467.jpg

I use horse manure in my 4.5 acre garden, ---- sometimes it gets rotted down in a pile,---sometimes it goes directly on and plowed under.
Carrots grow great in it IF you can get good seed that will sprout.
Was told that the manure was the problem BUT I tested some seed in the house in wet paper towels and same thing---nuttin, so it was the seed. This year we had the most trouble with all seeds not growing! However,--- ALL of our home saved seeds grew 100%, so the ground had nothing to do with the germination this year.
For the most part carrots are quite forgiving as to the ground structure but really do great in looser ground. This year our ground got dry/hard, but with regular watering the ground stayed soft enough for them to expand without getting all funny shaped.

Latest posts

Back