Can't have the box ? You can't be serious.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really don’t get the fixation on getting a box . But then again I’ve had some guys buy automotive parts from me just for the box . Specially Studebaker guys but really an old stinky box with mouse urine and god knows what else on display in there home or garage .
It’s that vintage smell.

Boxes just mean, “I got a new thing no one else has used”

In the case of the old stinky box it’s, “My find is now complete with this original box”

Now what about an open box? Well, I better get a discount.

Hello. If you bye a new saw, you shoud get the box, because you have Payd for it, in the store. If you bye a saw from internet, it Will be delivered in a box.
If I buy a snowmobile/quad it comes in a box too. Never got one of those with a purchase . Same with motorcycles. What’s included at purchase price is whatever the company dictates

Guess people would want the shrink wrap they put an new cars too . You paid for it

I sold Stihl for 20 years and I don't ever recall anyone asking me for one in a box unless it was a Christmas present or something. In those few cases I would agree to it but tell them they had to have the recipient bring it in so I could put gas/bar oil in it and show them how the controls worked, how to adjust the chain, and how to safely start it. While Stihl would not allow us to sell their units in a box I didn't want them to take something home and put it under the tree with gasoline in it either. I don't recall Stihl telling us we couldn't give them the box if they wanted it but I don't recall anyone asking for one either.
There was no conspiracy to keep boxes in the hands of the company or reuse them. The whole thing about making sure that the unit was properly assembled and working correctly was to avoid returns and assure the safety of the user. People can and do get hurt using these things improperly and liability is always a concern.

No the dealers are not full of crap. As long as they can teach you how to use the saw you bought properly to cover their ass with Stihl's dealer contract I'm sure you can empty their dumpster and take as many as you want!

The cops didn't arrest him because he had receipts for EVERTYTHING he had traded and bought, including the guy he got the saw from.
Yeah, but I'm sure you contacted the IRS for tax evasion and they raided his parents home.
If you say GFYS, ill, just refer this post to Stihl and because they are national and aside from their own enforcement, they are quite known as friends by the FBI in the USA, I'm sure Canada has an equivalent
As I SAID, NO EQUIPMENT IS TO BE SOLD IN THE BOX, Per Stihl marketing rules period.
And I am sorry to say ,if you do in fact get Busted for this, Posting things that may be stolen on the internet is just stupid.
Wow, just wow.
Comes to a a site on chainsaws to act as though he knows something.
Tell me you know nothing about international law without telling me, then he posts more :rolleyes:.

Either way, I now have a 100% fresh, never fueled past the factory, dry oil tank, registered 500i with the box (and the serial number sticker on the box).
You're going to jail, get your house in order!
My dealership gave me no issues with giving me the box for my 500i.
That's criminal, which dealer :popcorn2:.

I doubt seriously I will ever buy another Stihl. Granted there are a couple of their saws I would like to have but I have more saws than I really need anyway. As far as their trimmers, blowers and pole saws, there are other brands that are better for the same or less money. I bought a ht131 several years ago. I haven't had any trouble with it except the telescoping shaft keeps creeping out while you are using it. No matter how tight you tighten the clamp, it comes out little by little. I was at my father in laws and he showed me his Echo pole saw. It's by far better than my stihl and was less money. I wish I would have seen it before I bought mine. He has a Stihl br600 blower. I bought the Husqvarna 570bts blower and it's far better than his Stihl and was less money. I got the box too. Lol
I got one of those 570's nice unit.

I have to stop by and pick up some small parts Thursday. I am going to ask them what they do with the boxes now.

I got one of those 570's nice unit.
That's because it's a redmax in an orange wrapper, they're awesome.
I've had mine for over 20yrs, I finally changed the spark plug a couple yrs ago, only to find it was the shutoff switch. I was a little upset that I didn't get more use out of it lol.
It normally starts 1st or 2nd pull, last weekend I wanted to blow some dirt off the tractor as I just listed it, I pulled 5-6 times(it was real cold) and nothing, then I realized it was out of fuel lol. Filled and pulled two more times and she was running :).

i cant believe this has gone on for 10 pages over a box!!-lol
i think the problem is the famous line from movie "cool hand luke" or guns & roses "civil war" (depending on your age group)
-failure to communicate-
to say i will lose my dealership selling in boxes is kinda true, but really its to control amazon ebay or mail order selling, but they have dealers pulling a lot more worse stunts and they still dont cancel them!
its how you word it to customer

we gave boxes to units if the customer wanted them-but would suggest we test it first and can rebox it (unless a trimmer backpack in which would kindly explain to them-that it is on pieces in box and will not fit back in together or they ship 2 to a box, but if you want it that way, thats fine,,
99% would say right at that point i dont need box or ok i see my advantage taking it out of box.
however we always kept the box if it was a 1 off on display unit just in case

If they still wanted trimmer etc in box-they would get it that way, but i did say if something breaks as a result for you putting it together wrong-it would not be covered in a polite way, nor can your really blame us or manufacture if it is DOA as that is why we pdi it first
for those buying as gifts- we also recommended for end user to bring back and we will test and show tips @N/C
in fact i would offer box from saw, blower etc and try to entice customer to take empty box as they are strong and great for storage/moving etc-1 less i would have to break down to recycle-i dont want the box!!

back in the day we sold saws to guys taking them back home to Caribbean or behind the old iron curtain as they are much cheaper here than there and would take them on plane(pre 911) -we knew we couldnt gas them or assemble-so they went in a box-manufactures knew we and others did this- they saw the reason and also knew there was no warranty over there for them anyway.

Latest posts

Back