Carb tuning for milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mpl127

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
394xp- tuning with a tach, if my max free is 12,500rpm according mfr. and I’m at 10,600rpm could/should I go more?

What oil ratio, you needs oil when the pressure is on, your on the safe side
at10600, I would run it under load at that to heaten the saw up, and check with the tach
when it’s well warmed, it’s when the heat of battle sets in that things can get out of hand,
at 10,600 your safe to test the waters, and alter from there.

Standard 50:1, but just the good stuff. Schteel or Hoosqvarna premix for superior lubrication. If I were to try something else, what would you recommend? I love this site and all of you willing to help by the way!

Standard 50:1, but just the good stuff. Schteel or Hoosqvarna premix for superior lubrication. If I were to try something else, what would you recommend? I love this site and all of you willing to help by the way!
You would be better to forget the 50:1 idea, that’s no where near good enough for a saw
thats going to be milling. At your current 10,600 rpm setting it just might work, be sure to
use non ethanol gas, that stuff is not good in any saw, use premium.

I use 40:1 in all my saws, I never mill.
A lot will depend on the length of bar, the species of wood, how dry or wet soft or hard it is.

People will come along who actually use this saw and mill with it, they will advise you
from their experience.

I missed you mentioned premix, do you mean the fuel is premixed at 50:1 in the
can from the dealers, that should be good gas, though the oil content would need
to be upped, in my opinion.

Time in the cut is the problem, long cuts with the grain puts a lot of pressure on the saw,
let it run for 30 seconds to cool after every cut before you shut it off.
People use low profile chain to reduce the drag, can also angle the teeth from say 12 to 17 deg
to make the saw cut a bit faster, but there will be more marks left in the wood this way.

Am surprised others who mill aren’t chiming in here.

Yes been lettin her idle down after those rips. If I were to go to 40:1, what could I live on the edge with rpm wise? It’s all hardwoods in the northeast that I mill, oak, hickory, cherry. 42” well oiled cannon on that 394.

50:1 is 2% oil, 40:1 is 2.5%, it is better in there than not when milling, oil has a higher btu output,
so won’t take away power, it won’t lean your fuel to air ratio as it’s also fuel, and try it, and adjust your
carb if you need more or less rpms, just check rpm after a cut as the saw will be at its warmest,
no point in setting carb on a cold engine. Altitude makes a difference
too, if your saw runs well at 500 ft, it will have too much fuel as you get higher.
Hot weather will also add to an engines running temperature, cold air requires more fuel,
but more fuel will keep an engine cooler in the heat, it just won’t make as much power.

Running bigger saws & longer bars requires more oil in the mix.
I mill with a 390XP, run it at 32:1 with a good quality synthetic oil tuned to around 500RPM below max. Has done a lot of work & so far working well.

Latest posts

Back