Carb tuning with a limited coil - tach or in the cut?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sevensandeights

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just got my Makita 6421 back together with an OEM 7900 P&C. Saw initially had an 84cc NWP P&C that torched the listing due to running lean from an air leak at the impulse nipple.

I tuned the carb with a tach for a tank and then tuned in the cut for a tank. I really don't hear much difference when I tune in the cut. Couldn't get it to 4 stroke in the cut so I could lean it out. Plug is a little dark some I'm on the rich side - not a bad thing for a brand new P&C though. I've watched a ton of videos and can hear the difference in the videos but can't with my saw.

Since the coil is limited, I was wondering why I should tune in the cut. Is the point of the coil to limit RPMs that would only be possible in a lean condition? I think I'm missing something here but I'm paranoid of another lean condition issue. Why can't I just set WOT RPM at 13k and be done?

My opinion here and its just that, opinion. I think its best to tune in the wood (cut), take the high out so that it's rich enough it continues to 4 stroke and won't clean up, then take the screw in a quarter turn at a time until it quits burbling (4 stroking) when in the cut. You can then do some fine tuning and get it right where you want it, but I like to keep it a bit rich and safe. All this needs to be done when the saw is good and warmed up. If you tune in this manner there is no need for a tach or even knowing what the max factory rpm is.

Tune in the cut. Tuning for max rpm may be leaving some power on the table. It might just want that extra fuel for running a load

Latest posts

Back