Career change options after 30 yrs as Certified Arborist??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treeguy4247

Reaction score
Hey out there, my name is Max,53 yo Certified Arborist from Massachusetts. 10 years ago I tore my rib from my spine in my back, well attempting to hold the top of a white oak I had just topped from hitting the person who walked underneath me. The weight of the top pulled me forward obviously when I grabbed it but my body was tied into the tree so as it pulled me and pulled my right arm forward and just pulled my dislocated my rib from my back and tore all the ligaments in Paris spinal muscles. Needless to say I have not been the same since. I eventually had to go on disability because I never knew from day to day when it was going to hurt. I called it the knife it felt like a steak knife stuck in my back. Long story short I have a degree in forestry from UMass Amherst Stockbridge School of agriculture and I love trees tree work and anything involved in it. I'm an appointment my life where I can't survive on my disability yet I can't physically rely on my body but to earn my money I have to use my knowledge and intelligence and love for this industry somehow. I'm trying to find something that I can do to put my experience to work for me. Listening to NPR the other day I heard a short take on soils found in the upper canopy of trees in Washington State and how in times of stress when the main root system of the tree and not getting enough water, The tree will actually grow and root up in mid-air up off the trunk and find the soil that's on those limbs, which has been proven to have them much more nutrients and phosphorus and nitrogen than the soil on the ground. They had a woman on and she was up in a redwood tree I believe climbing around studying these things but she actually traced route back to its starting point which was the trunk of the tree. So that got my brain thinking maybe I could go and help some people do research or something use my climbing ability and interest in that way but yet not have to be bugging logs and doing that physical part of the job I was just wondering what anyone might have to say about that or if anyone has thought of that or basically anyone can help me in this endeavor of mine ✌️

You can also do consulting with municipalities, tree reports for insurance companies, tree inventories, expert witness for legal disputes involving trees, etc.

A good way, like Jed said, is to get a job with a big company and work your way through the management vine.

OR do you like stump grinding? Easy money and less strain on your body. I know a guy who retired from climbing and now does quite well working by himself with his two stump machines.

You can also do consulting with municipalities, tree reports for insurance companies, tree inventories, expert witness for legal disputes involving trees, etc.

A good way, like Jed said, is to get a job with a big company and work your way through the management vine.

OR do you like stump grinding? Easy money and less strain on your body. I know a guy who retired from climbing and now does quite well working by himself with his two stump machines.
Thank you very much for the advice my friend, I have done my share of stump grinding and no I don't mind it but unless I was to open my own company which I don't have the capital for I can't really commit to somebody on a weekly basis I don't know from day to day how I'm going to be but I do like your idea of the insurance company thing. I had to do my college thesis on a street tree plan municipality of stoneham Massachusetts so I'm familiar with that also thanks for the heads up my friend I will take it to heart

Check with Forest Service and BLM if any in your area, State Forestry also, see what they got for openings. May be colleges and universities that can use someone with your experience.

Latest posts

Back