Carlton 4400 Hydrolic question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geterdone

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello every one: I have a 99 Carlton 4400-4 stump grinder, Earlier this year I had a hydraulic line break, I replaced the line and called Carlton to get the Correct fluid for the machine they said any 32 w would work so I went to the Napa store and filled it up. Now that it is getting warmer out (90's) We are experiencing some sluggish performance from the drive unit when the fluid gets hot (Reservoir hot to touch) but runs good when cold, To the point that getting through the yard is getting to be a problem, I haven't really noticed the swing or lift slowing down although they may be. I am using Napa AW-32 85-905 It doesn't mention any thing about high temp protection. Has any one experienced this and do you have a suggestion about the fluid Type? I have another Pump and probably am going to install it But not sure this is the fix.

Does the machine have a hydraulic cooling fan? If not, you might want to install one. Also, did you fill the tank? The tank should only be at 3/4 full. This leaves room for the hydraulic fluid to contract and expand.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400

Does the machine have a hydraulic cooling fan? If not, you might want to install one. Also, did you fill the tank? The tank should only be at 3/4 full. This leaves room for the hydraulic fluid to contract and expand.

Hope this helps!

Dave
770-420-6400
No it does not have a cooling fan but I have been looking on line and am thinking of getting one. Never have had this problem before until I changed the fluid though. The tank is filled up to the sight glass with the lift cylinder all the way up, This is per the manual.

Was talking to a hydrolic technician and he said what was probably in it was 20 w (ISO 46) So I may change it again to 20 w fluid.

Hello every one: I have a 99 Carlton 4400-4 stump grinder, Earlier this year I had a hydraulic line break, I replaced the line and called Carlton to get the Correct fluid for the machine they said any 32 w would work so I went to the Napa store and filled it up. Now that it is getting warmer out (90's) We are experiencing some sluggish performance from the drive unit when the fluid gets hot (Reservoir hot to touch) but runs good when cold, To the point that getting through the yard is getting to be a problem, I haven't really noticed the swing or lift slowing down although they may be. I am using Napa AW-32 85-905 It doesn't mention any thing about high temp protection. Has any one experienced this and do you have a suggestion about the fluid Type? I have another Pump and probably am going to install it But not sure this is the fix.
I am having the same problems with my Carlton 4400-4. Did you find the issues? I have replaced the drive motor and Hydraulic pump. also one of the valve cartridge. Still same thing when the oil gets warm it the unit will not drive up a small slope. Appreciate any help.

No it does not have a cooling fan but I have been looking on line and am thinking of getting one. Never have had this problem before until I changed the fluid though. The tank is filled up to the sight glass with the lift cylinder all the way up, This is per the manual.

Was talking to a hydrolic technician and he said what was probably in it was 20 w (ISO 46) So I may change it again to 20 w fluid.
Did you change to 20W fluid and it worked? just trying to troubleshoot same problem.

I also have a 4400.

Are you guys sure that the bypass valve that lets you control ground speed is fully closed when you are driving the 4400 across the yard?

the bypass valve for towing is closed. My problem is when the oil is cold forward and reverse will climb onto trailer or over chip piles ect. when the machine is used depending on outside temperature on hot days only does one stump. On the cold days I can work for an hour before the transport forward and reverse will not climb even small mound and will not climb onto trailer. The transport circuit is very simple I replaced the traction motor, system Pump and both cartridge valves. When the snow melts a bit more I will try it again. If anyone has same problem I could use some help. Thanks

What's happening is that the hydraulic fluid is thinning out due to the temp. I would go to a 46 weight that will be thicker and won't thin out as much. Again, I would consider a hydraulic cooler and cooling fan for the grinder.

Hope this helps!

Dave
770-420-6400

Back