Carry Case for a large saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw box?

PC021959-1.jpg

243782d1341239516-gear-packin-dog0001-jpg

View attachment 243782

The animal dog isn't the saw case. He's the accessories carrier. I cut a piece off of a WalMarche foam sleeping pad. I used colorful duck tape to make a bar scabbord.

Instead of having one of those shoulder pads that slip on over suspenders, and limit you to packing the saw on one shoulder and that do not protect you from getting stabbed by the dogs, I slip my creation over the bar. I can pack it on either shoulder, and it slides over the dogs.

Because it is a sleeping pad, it insulates well. I can kneel on it while filing the bar in the woods, or sit on it whilst munching a snack, or use it to beat a friend on the head with if they make a snide comment about my choice of colored duck tape.

And, I can loop Gypo Jugs over the bar and carry even MORE stuff into the woods.

I just got home from a visit with a lady I met via Craig's List, and with me came my new saw case pictured below... Farm truck, everything works, used the cruise for the 1.5 hour ride home, smooth ride, all gages work, both tanks work, new tires, just need to find a tailgate and a couple lenses, not bad for a cool $1000...View attachment 243739

Huh... You guys have good taste...
My "carry case" is a 1988 F250 5spd 4x4 with 4.9L inline 6! Cost me $300 for the truck, a chainsaw trade for a new tranny, and a case of beer for my buddy who helped me install it! Truck on right side...
TheTwins.jpg

As for the actual box itself... I've been thinking I'll build a old style wooden beer crate to fit and store my Stihl 076...

Last edited:
Got started on the make-over

I'm getting my "carry-case" ready for winter, stripping/grinding the rust off with my angle grinder and a wire wheel and priming, next I'll wet sand after I get it all primed... then the decision to "rattle-can" it or to spring for a semi-cheap auto spray job. I'll throw a little spray on the hood tomorrow and decide then...

View attachment 243967

As for the actual box itself... I've been thinking I'll build a old style wooden beer crate to fit and store my Stihl 076...

Key thing is to decide whether whether it is a 'storage box' or a 'carry case'.

I worked for a camp that built 3/4" thick plywood cases to hold the chainsaws with the bars mounted, plus room for bar oil, two-cycle oil, and probably a family or two of mammals. Had heavy duty strap hinges, and a rope handle at each end. More like a chainsaw coffin. Took 2 people to lift and carry due to it's size and weight, even when it was empty. Was back visiting a while back and saw the same box there almost 40 years later - probably on it's third saw.

OK for storing the saw(s) in the maintenance shop, and keeping them from getting damaged, but not the kind of thing I would want to carry into the woods, or even load and unload out of a truck. That's the appeal of the lightweight, plastic, blow-molded cases (or beverage coolers). They keep the dripping oil from getting all over everything, and let me keep things like chains or spare parts together with the saw that they go with.

(Nice deal on your truck by the way)

Philbert

Serendipity?

In Post #15 I showed a case I made from a foam beverage cooler: someone suggested it, and almost the next day I found a cheap cooler at a church rummage sale.

In Post #4, 732hess suggested using a hard-sided golf bag. The other day I found one someone had put out at the curb, so I tried it with an MS046 w/ a 25" bar (photos attached).
Probably room for a second saw if nested like medic8852's photo.

P8273305.jpg P8273306.jpg P8273307.jpg P8273308.jpg

Please, Please, Please someone suggest using a Mercedes convertible as a carry case for saws!

Philbert

Finished and ready...

spent the day grinding, sanding, cleaning, masking, sanding, priming, and painting... didn't come out to bad for a "rattle-can" job... All set to get wood later this summer/fall...

View attachment 245097

Last edited:

Those must really cut well with the "P&W" stickers on em. I dont see any Barbie stickers tho. Those Wescos are allmost as clean as mine do you guys have clean dirt.

These threads are always good fun. Some of those cases I can easly put 2 or 3 saws with bars in less space.

If you do need a case how about taking the bar off for storage 2 minute job

Custom Saw Box

This is a custom Baltic Birch saw box I made for my tiny MS170. I may make one for my Husky and my 440 also (I have them in Northern Tool plastic cases now, which are fine) but mainly wanted this one so I had everything in one convenient package always at the ready in my truck. Fits saw, gas, oil, tools, muffs, glasses, gloves, and one of my axes, and is very portable, plus it can be used as a seat, stepstool, or work bench.

View attachment 278559

Thanks - all my saw nut buddies want me to make one (or five) for them. Yes, the saw is sitting on a fitted piece of anti-fatigue matt that is oil resistant and cushions the ride for the saw. Also has a WypAll towel directly under it which absorbs oil like crazy and can be replaced as needed. Couple of additional strategically located felt bumpers keep the saw from getting worn by the box from truck vibration. Hey, I know it's a saw not a teacup, but to me there's no reason to beat on it unnecessarily. The whole interior is finished in Butcher's bowling alley wax which creates a great chemical-resistant barrier and can be re-waxed easily whenever it's needed.

This is a custom Baltic Birch saw box I made for my tiny MS170. I may make one for my Husky and my 440 also (I have them in Northern Tool plastic cases now, which are fine) but mainly wanted this one so I had everything in one convenient package always at the ready in my truck. Fits saw, gas, oil, tools, muffs, glasses, gloves, and one of my axes, and is very portable, plus it can be used as a seat, stepstool, or work bench.

View attachment 278559

dang nice box!!!:cool2:

By the way that's all hand-stitched leather on the axe and the head snap-strap has two positions to hold the axe with or without the holster. I do different covers for all my axes and hatchets among other things. There's also room in the lid next to the axe to strap in a big folding Silky saw and maybe a set of felling wedges (coming soon!). May as well have it all right there.

You got a sweet box !

View attachment 278559

Really like it ! Baltic Birch is a great choice for strength / weight.

That's beautiful work too. I was wondering how much stress the axe was putting on the hinges, and was thinking that you might want to add some type of chain or strap to keep the lid from over-extending.

Philbert

It's a good suggestion and I thought about it too. I may add a chain or strap when I add the handsaw since the weight will increase a little. The hinges are beefy marine hinges with heavy shank screws so for its current limited use it's fine - usually just open, grab something, and close.

Latest posts

Back