Carry Case for a large saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian_42

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does anyone know if anyone makes a carry/storage case that will work with my Husqvarna 394XP? I have a Husqvarna Power Box for almost all my saws, I like the the way they stack in the garage, but my most expensive saw sits out.... would love to find a case for it.

Does anyone know if anyone makes a carry/storage case that will work with my Husqvarna 394XP? I have a Husqvarna Power Box for almost all my saws, I like the the way they stack in the garage, but my most expensive saw sits out.... would love to find a case for it.

that one is a tough one,, but if you can't find a case for it send it my way and i will be more then happy to store it in the shop for you :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Here is my "carry case" for my saws. :)

But seriously... they don't make 'em because 99% of the people that use saws that big, use them for a living, and don't need fancy cases for them.

Gary

golf anyone

I keep my ms880, with 36 inch bar, in a hard plastic golf club case. The case is two piece and snaps together. I think it is designed to put a soft bag with clubs inside for airline shipment. It is like two tubes that fit over each other. I picked it up at a yard sale for a couple of u s dollars.

Here is my "carry case" for my saws. :)

But seriously... they don't make 'em because 99% of the people that use saws that big, use them for a living, and don't need fancy cases for them.

Gary

Yep. While I don't uses chainsaws for a living (and don't work on them for a paycheck anymore), I don't have 'cases' for any of my larger saws. Heck, I don't have cases for my small saws either, except for two that just came to me with saws. One now has a little Poulan S25-CVA in it, and the other houses my 'beater' Homelite SXL-AO. They're good for carrying a 'just in case' (LOL) saw along with a bunch of non-saw stuff.......such as camping/hunting gear. Makes it so I can pile a bunch of crap on and around the saw without said crap getting oiley or cut up by a saw chain.

Here are a few of my large saw "carrying cases". I believe the green IHC was used as a crummy some time in its life. Not shown is the somewhat shiney black one that I bought new a year ago. Gotta snap a pic or two of that one before it's too beat up I guess. It's been hauling quite a few saws over the last year or so....

000_0074.jpg

100_0618.jpg

100_2156.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 243523

This year, I'm looking for a "case" like you're using also... It's not so much for the transporting, as it is for the stackability in the garage... The Subie in the pic is approaching 200,000 miles and just keeps going, which is something considering I use it as a wood wagon for a few months every year... I believe that particular tank of gas I pulled 24mpg...

I took one of the stihl wedge shaped cases and roto zipped a section out of the top. This allowed the case to clear the handle on my 385xp. Reach thru the hole grab the saws handle and off you go. Not really stackable because of the slope of the case but does protect the saw. My computer skills are limited so I can't post a picture.

I've toyed with the idea for a while of building a box out of ply wood that I could put two saws in with mufflers facing and a lift out tray for extra chain etc.,

Yep. While I don't uses chainsaws for a living (and don't work on them for a paycheck anymore), I don't have 'cases' for any of my larger saws. Heck, I don't have cases for my small saws either, except for two that just came to me with saws. One now has a little Poulan S25-CVA in it, and the other houses my 'beater' Homelite SXL-AO. They're good for carrying a 'just in case' (LOL) saw along with a bunch of non-saw stuff.......such as camping/hunting gear. Makes it so I can pile a bunch of crap on and around the saw without said crap getting oiley or cut up by a saw chain.

Here are a few of my large saw "carrying cases". I believe the green IHC was used as a crummy some time in its life. Not shown is the somewhat shiney black one that I bought new a year ago. Gotta snap a pic or two of that one before it's too beat up I guess. It's been hauling quite a few saws over the last year or so....

Man I like those scouts! The f250 looks great sportin those bfg's...but whats with the old man steps :msp_unsure: Also like your bar lube pump idea.

Last edited:
I manage with Stihl box with my 66o i have a bungee from the handle to the clasp/hole.
Had to rivet on a piano hinge because they do snap out from the pressure.

The classic solution is either a XL Rubbermaid plastic box or a XL Colman cooler. In both, cut a slot for the B&C to stick out. Don't understand why Husqvarna doesn't make a XL power box.

The classic solution is either a XL Rubbermaid plastic box or a XL Colman cooler. In both, cut a slot for the B&C to stick out. Don't understand why Husqvarna doesn't make a XL power box.

I wonder how my wife would react if I cut a slot and started using our Coleman cooler as a saw-case? You know what they say.... "It's easier to ask for forgiveness, than permission..."

Man I like those scouts! The f250 looks great sportin those bfg's...but whats with the old man steps :msp_unsure: Also like your bar lube pump idea.

LOL. Took that pic right after I got the truck. I picked it up and went right to Costco to have those pizza cutter 235/85/16 BFG AT/KO's mounted. I'm a believer in those skinny tires. They saved my ass when wheeling that truck in some greasy volcanic soil (Lassen NF) during a rainstorm. The truck's 6700Lbs unloaded, and had a bed full of firewood in the back. Tires cut through the layer of grease and down to the firm soil and rock underneath. My buddy's Toyota 4-Runner with 31/10.5/15's was skating all over the place. The rear section of those 'old man' steps have been removed. The front sections are still there. Under orders from the wife to leave 'em. That truck's a bit to tall for her and the girls to get into without 'em.

The bar oil pump thing came about because those damn C-Series Homelites are such a pain to fill with oil without spilling all over the saw. The gear lube pump lets me fill 'em right up without spilling.:msp_thumbup:

I would just make my own or get a storage box that they make for a truck the ones you can move around used by people who don't have a topper so they stuff does not it rained on.

There have been several threads on this. Plywood works, but gets heavy, quick.

Several people have modified PowerBox-type cases (generic version is cheaper) to fit various saws. This can work if you only need a little extra clearance, or need a handle to protrude. Cut out recesses or holes with a sharp utility knife or Dremel tool, then reinforce cut sections by foaming the cavity or with hardboard ('Masonite') and Pop-Rivets.

If you use your saw intermittently and are looking for a storage box, we found that removing the bars from large saws makes storage options much easier (one of those obvious in hindsight things).

A few of my creations. The cooler was done for fun, right after reading someone suggest it in one of these threads, when I walked outside and saw the church next door having a rummage sale. Someone else (?) modified a PowerBox by just letting the top handle poke through the top and side panels.

Philbert

PB232678.jpg

PB232679.jpg
Rummage Sale Cooler Case

P5082420.jpg P5082421.jpg P5082424.jpg

PowerBox Modified for Extra Bar

PB092665.jpg

Generic PowerBox Modified for Charger, Chain Adjustment Knob, etc.

I like the idea of picking up a cheap generic Power Box style case and modifying... Thanks for posting the pics, great ideas...

Found a "case" for this winter...

I just got home from a visit with a lady I met via Craig's List, and with me came my new saw case pictured below... Farm truck, everything works, used the cruise for the 1.5 hour ride home, smooth ride, all gages work, both tanks work, new tires, just need to find a tailgate and a couple lenses, not bad for a cool $1000...View attachment 243739

Back