Carrying a spare clutch cover nut?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Carry 2. Lost both mine this morning, when a tree was leaning back and pinched the bar and chain. I removed the power head, and then started driving wedges. Finally righted the tree and dropped it where I had planned, but the nuts disappeared. I did have the one spare, and that allowed me to keep working. Now I carry 2!

All hail the captured nuts that are now common on Stihl saws. My ms261c has captured nuts, but the ms461 is old school, and nuts disappearing is going to happen.

I carried a 50 cal ammo can with files, x chains, tools. Never lost fasteners. I have an assortment of fasteners at home.

I was working weekends non stop couldn’t afford a breakdown.

Carry 2. Lost both mine this morning, when a tree was leaning back and pinching the bar and chain. I removed the power head, and then started driving wedges. Finally righted the tree and dropped it where I had planned, but the nuts disappeared. I did have the one spare, and that allowed me to keep working. Now I carry 2!

All hail the captured nuts that are now common on Stihl saws. My ms261c has captured nuts, but the ms461 is old school, and nuts disappearing is going to happen.
I've never lost a bar nut, but I helped my dad look for (and find) the two from his 372, and my brother's 2101 had the nuts nearly vibrate off once. I have had the clutch cover fall off my 562 twice (I'm not sure why, I'm pretty sure it was plenty tight) and I was quite happy it had the captive nuts.

I carry a kit that has spares in it just in case, I wish there was a way to modify covers on the older ones for captured nuts. The maintenance guy here brought me their Husky 460 and said it wasn't working right, it only had one bar nut on and allowed the bar to move away from the case and the oil just poured out there, plus it packed everything in there with saw dust. The sprocket tip bearings where toast, the bar rails where flared out and blue from no lube and a groove cut into the part of the rails the chain could hit, chain was stretched a mile. I fixed the bar the best I could, cleaned up around the bar plate and bar oil hole and put another nut on the saw and for some strange reason it started working right again. :D

I too carry a little kit in my logging tool tote box along with all the other common stuff (files, raker gauge, wedges, hatchet, bug goggles, extra gloves, etc). I had one 8mm and one 10mm nut in case I lost one. Never thought I would lose 2 at the same time. We learn as we go, as we make mistakes.

I carry a kit that has spares in it just in case, I wish there was a way to modify covers on the older ones for captured nuts. The maintenance guy here brought me their Husky 460 and said it wasn't working right, it only had one bar nut on and allowed the bar to move away from the case and the oil just poured out there, plus it packed everything in there with saw dust. The sprocket tip bearings where toast, the bar rails where flared out and blue from no lube and a groove cut into the part of the rails the chain could hit, chain was stretched a mile. I fixed the bar the best I could, cleaned up around the bar plate and bar oil hole and put another nut on the saw and for some strange reason it started working right again. :D

I managed with the one extra bar nut. I decided to clean the saw tomorrow, and will see if I damaged anything using just one nut. It was holding a 5 yo bar, and a well worn chain, so no great loss if either or both are trashed. I doubt it though, as it felt like it was holding well.

Ok.... I'll ask.. is there a specific reason no manufacturer uses nylon locking nuts to help prevent them from being lost. It's only a few threads, so it wouldn't take more than a few turns. None of the six saws I've I owned used them. But I've never lost any before. Never though of it before this thread. Heat maybe?

Ok.... I'll ask.. is there a specific reason no manufacturer uses nylon locking nuts to help prevent them from being lost. It's only a few threads, so it wouldn't take more than a few turns. None of the six saws I've I owned used them. But I've never lost any before. Never though of it before this thread. Heat maybe?
The issue I would see with that is the fact you cannot tell what is the resistance against the nylon pinch nut and the resistance against the cover. Some covers don't take well to being over tightened and crack. I haven't lost one yet but it doesn't hurt to have a spare on hand. Also if using a nylon lock nut you would probably have to place a washer on as well since most bar nuts are wider than a standard nut in order to spread the pressure on the cover. Look at some of the old covers used on Homelite and McCulloch saws for sale on ebay, you will see where people used a standard nut and not a washered nut and it chewed into the cover or cracked it.
I personally am not worried one will work loose, it's more of a "I take it off to swap chains or whatever reason" and drop it and lose it. My eyes aren't what they used to be and hunting around for a nut through branches, leaves, saw dust etc is what I want to avoid and the reason I carry spares.

The issue I would see with that is the fact you cannot tell what is the resistance against the nylon and the resistance against the cover. Some covers don't take well to being over tightened and crack. I haven't lost one yet but it doesn't hurt to have a spare on hand. Also if using a nylon lock nut you would probably have to place a washer on as well since most bar nuts are wider than a standard nut in order to spread the pressure on the cover. Look at some of the old covers used on Homelite and McCulloch saws for sale on ebay, you will see where people used a standard nut and not a washered nut and it chewed into the cover or cracked it.
I personally am not worried one will work loose, it's more of a "I take it off to swap chains or whatever reason" and drop it and lose it. My eyes aren't what they used to be and hunting around for a nut through branches, leaves, saw dust etc is what I want to avoid and the reason I carry spares.
Maybe make a washered nylock nut?

Maybe make a washered nylock nut?
True but a nylock isn't going to solve the main issue I see which is taking the cover off and dropping the nut into branches, leaves, saw dust etc. Like I said I have never had an issue with a bar nut working loose but even if it did I still have a spare either way. I could lose a nylock just as easy as a regular bar nut and still be without one if I didn't have a spare.

I carry a few spares with me in my saw box, which goes with when ever a saw leaves the property. Includes scrench, bar nuts, spark plugs, small ratchet with a few sockets (makes plug removal easier) files, chain, wedges, and a maxima ratio bottle, in case I have to mix on the go. (Nearly never happens, I normally take at least a full 2.5 gallons with me, unless I'm planning on a full day with the big saws then a minimum of 5 gallons) few screw drives for adjusting carbs, I think there's a spare primer bulb for the 562xp as well as a spare narrow hose clamp, there are a few other things lurking that I can't think of off the top of my head.

I carry a few spares with me in my saw box, which goes with when ever a saw leaves the property. Includes scrench, bar nuts, spark plugs, small ratchet with a few sockets (makes plug removal easier) files, chain, wedges, and a maxima ratio bottle, in case I have to mix on the go. (Nearly never happens, I normally take at least a full 2.5 gallons with me, unless I'm planning on a full day with the big saws then a minimum of 5 gallons) few screw drives for adjusting carbs, I think there's a spare primer bulb for the 562xp as well as a spare narrow hose clamp, there are a few other things lurking that I can't think of off the top of my head.
You beat me to it. I carry a small tool box with just about everything you mentioned and leave it in the truck, it doesn't take up much space but gives me access to tools as well as a few small spare parts. An extra air filter is also something I carry, but I have a backup saw sitting there also, Oh who am I kidding there is usually one of the old Mac's or Homelites as the backup/just want to run it fun saws.

They stop locking after a few tightening cycles.

Just don't screw them all the way off when you are in the woods. If you have to, do it over cleared ground and not in leaves/sawdust or fresh snow. I carry 2 extra but seldom needed them.

Carry 2. Lost both mine this morning, when a tree was leaning back and pinched the bar and chain. I removed the power head, and then started driving wedges. Finally righted the tree and dropped it where I had planned, but the nuts disappeared. I did have the one spare, and that allowed me to keep working. Now I carry 2!

If you know a guy with a metal detector, borrow it and go back to the site where you lost the two nuts. Chances are it will find them underneath the sawdust. Metal detectors these days are rather amazing.

I work in the fire service in California, we run 461, 462 and trying out the 500i’s on the fire line. It is common practice to have two spare bar nuts zip tied to the front handle of all our 461s. Our situation is a little different granted, pressed for time and a pretty dirty work environment. We also have a small pack of tools and ‘common’ items that might break or need replacement while out on the fire, needle bearing, e clip, clutch and drum, air filter things like that. Whatever would be easily repaired or replaced in the field within minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back