Carrying StuFF

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckwheat

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
When I head out to cut, I find myself toting along fuel mix, a gallon of bar oil, some spare chains, goggles, ear protectors, a wrench, gloves, wedges... you get my drift. I've got it all thrown into an old wooden fruit crate that was sitting in the garage that I just carry out to the back of the truck.
So it's occured to me that there might be a better way. What are you guys using to haul all of your smaller stuff into the woods? Is there some kind of waterproof tool organizer that fits the bill? I'm also interested in a safe way to take along a 25" bar that I have for those bigger trees.

I keep my files, wedges, wrenches, etc. in a large plastic tool/tackle box. Plano is the manufacturer, I believe. The bar oil and gasoline still get toted out in their respective jugs, though I have seen an integrated jug available, with oil on one side and fuel on the other. I haven't used one, though.

Howdy,

That two sided gas/oil container is to be highly recommended. Using jugs is a BIG no-no. If the container was not ment for gasoline, it will slowly dissolve into the gas and plate the toughest gunk out on your piston that you have everseen. I have seen this get so bad as to seize the piston to the cylinder without metal ever toughing metal!
(You should try to clean that one up!)

A lot of "good ol' boys" will say: "I only leave the gas in there for the days use, so this won't be a problem for me". Right! The plastic still gets soft, and still leaches out into the fuel, and the problem WILL occur eventually. Our fuel these days is very much a solvent due to the additives that are used, and it loves plastic.

Buckwheat, saws in the caddy. Fuel in a 2 1/2 gal. metal container (it keeps longer), bar oil in a 1 1/2 gal plastic round fuel can (remove the screen from the spout). Wedges on the hip with all the spares in the saw box (large craftsman tool box). At least 2 spare chains for each saw I carry. This works for me

I guess I misspoke/didn't make myself clear -- I said gas in a jug, but I was talking 1 1/4 gal poly gas can, made by Eagle.

Now, in cruising the Jonsered web site, I have seen a gas/oil jug (I mean container), that has a nifty spout system on it. Anyone seen one of these in use, and how well do they work? Any better than the poly jugs (I mean containers), made by Wedco?

Walt has always been touchy about the term "jugs". Years
of therapy have helped him though. It is best not to even use
words that rhyme with jugs around him. Personally I like
the word and use it often.
Fish

I use a 5 gallon bucket....a 1 gallon eagle gas container, a couple of quart bar oil containers, and all the wrenches, wedges, and files will fit nicely. You can even get a bucket that has a swivel seat on it when its time to take a break, and also you can get a nylon tool container that wraps around a 5 gallon bucket that makes for even more storage pockets etc....

I use a 400 four wheel witha rack and a dry box at least 2 1/2 gallons of gas and a gallon of bar oil strap a couple saws on either side of the box and youe good to go if the terain gets to rough get a jumping mule he can tote what every you want and he'll travel any where you can go you can haul him around in the back of the truck strong son of a guns

nothin wrong with them jugs. I'm a thigh and butt man myself. Hardwood, that 4- wheeler makes it easy, huh. I've been wanting to get a draft horse. Might be a good excuse

jugs rule- i am still looking for a v-2 chainsaw so i can always carry 2 jugs with me since nothing beats a pair of jugs, except maybe a big pair of jugs:p

This site should be "R" rated. All I see is talk about jugs, strokes and who's sleeping with who,s saws! I need to go stroke my Ken Dunn modified 3120 now.

Buckwheat when I thin I use a Dolmar (the gas and oil container you refer to) It works well and will hold afair amount or fuel for cutting most of the day. Usually will finish one by about 3 pm but depends on the cutting conditions. Can usually get around 6 tanks of fuel and oil out of a full dolmar. For carrying stuff in the woods I use a stoudt backpack and carry all my days stuff in there eg: 1 gallon of water, lunch and extra bar nuts and ear plugs 2 extra chains and any parts the my crew will need to do a repair in the field, sometimes I will strap a extra powerhead to my pack and hike it in to keep my guys on the stump as long as possible in case their saw breaks down. I'm not a slave driver just want my crew to keep up the old tradition of working hard and not wasting our taxpayers $'s. Our trucks are chevy 6paks with utility beds that hold 6 saws and all our supplies. hop this helps.

The nicest thing about a trip to the mountains with my favorite chainsaw is knowing that when I am done working I will be returning home to a full set of jugs. And they are real, no plastic jugs allowed.

Back