Carving bar will not up cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorinRadd

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
New to carving. Been working with saws for 10 years. First time using 12” quarter tip. When ever I try to up cut with it the saw barely does it. The cuts are so rough any wood between the rings gets chopped up so bad. The chain is quite loose. Hanging so most of teeth on bottom are showing. Maybe it needs to be looser? But when I watch videos guys do angled up cuts like a knife through butter. I can’t even force this bar

Hm it’s quite tight compared to every other guys carving bar I see on YouTube. Some hang off 2” lol. Mines maybe 1/4”
OK, from the first post, it sounded like they were looser. Been a while since I used my carving bar, I'll get it out and see what it does.
A photo might help.

Full house is one cutter per drive Link.

I do not carve but believe there are normal 1/4 chain and carving chain that has the rear of the cutter trimmed. At least it is not 3/8lp. Now 1/4 inch chain seems the picco 0.043 stuff to most folks.
Ya I have soecifuc carving chain on the bar. Maybe its bevause the wood is green?

Have you got larger diameter nose bars in sprocket nose and or hard nose to experiment with? Wonder how it would go with a dime nose. I have some various kinds of 1/4 chain 13rm 25ap and some something else I got a partial roll of. 10 to 14 tooth nose bars and some hard nose ones but nothing small. the 1/4 chain has nice nose properties but does not seem well suited for plunge cutting or at least getting started. The 13rm is a more massive chain the others seem to be a bit narrow kerf for what I have done lately. Maybe someone else will come along. The Stihl 61pmm3 chain I like or used to like seems to loose it's nose properties after it is sharpened, Stihl calls it for professional plunge cutting and is good when new.

Have you got larger diameter nose bars in sprocket nose and or hard nose to experiment with? Wonder how it would go with a dime nose. I have some various kinds of 1/4 chain 13rm 25ap and some something else I got a partial roll of. 10 to 14 tooth nose bars and some hard nose ones but nothing small. the 1/4 chain has nice nose properties but does not seem well suited for plunge cutting or at least getting started. The 13rm is a more massive chain the others seem to be a bit narrow kerf for what I have done lately. Maybe someone else will come along. The Stihl 61pmm3 chain I like or used to like seems to loose it's nose properties after it is sharpened, Stihl calls it for professional plunge cutting and is good when new.
Yeah Any other bar I have cut better than my canon quarter tip with 1/4p chain. Just a regular 18” sprocket tip bar with 325 chain is more agile. That shouldn’t be more agile so something is wrong.

Back